AMD Athlon 64 heatsink installation question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by BrianShort, Feb 1, 2005.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I received the guts of my new machine today. Bought the Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754 processor with the heatsink and fan. The directions say thermal paste is needed. Is the grey goop on the bottom of the heatsink the pre-applied thermal paste? Want to make sure before I go out and buy something I don't need.

Brian

2. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Get some rubbing alcohol and a plastic scrapper. Remove that gray goop with the plastic scrapper first then clean with the alcohol. Get some real silver thermal compound (many will suggest arctic silver) apply a grain of rice sized drop to the center of the silver heatspreader on the processor, evenly place the heatsink fan combo on top of the processor and gently wiggle around. Square up the heatsink fan combo and lock down. You don't want to use the thermal pad that came with the stock heatsink fan. It will work but your processor will run at higher temps.

3. BrianShort

It should be paste, not a pad, according to AMD. If it will work fine at stock speeds, I think I'll just use that. Not planning on OCing for awhile. Will look at more responses though.

Brian

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you're not going to OC, just use the stock stuff. AMD states on their website that the thermal paste is NOT meant for long-term installation, but just short-term testing. They recommend against using it . . . although gamers and OCers will obviously tell you otherwise.

5. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

intersting anecdote...built 2 amd systems exactly the same EXCEPT used the stock amd tim (thermal interface material) on one and some generic thermal paste on the other,no overclocking,the one with the tim ran 10 degrees hotter,make of that what you will

6. BrianShort

I used the stock heatsink, fan, and thermal paste. Idle temps on my 3000+ are around 40C, which seems fairly reasonable to me. My XFX 6600GT card idles around 55C and will be near 70C after a couple hours of gaming (Half Life 2 at the moment).

Brian

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I used arctic silver myself on my 3500+. My PC including the CPU and the 6800GT never passes 100F even under full load. I prefer to use arctic silver due to its ease of it coming off If I need to. Chances are I'll never remove it but in case I do, I find it much easier.

I also went with an aftermarket fan in the name of the Zalman all copper one.

FWIW, I'm NOT OC'ing.