AMC AV81HTc-DD and DVD Audio?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony.L, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

Hi. I took a look at a few of the posts and I am still a little confused on a DVD Audio Player. I have a AMC Av81HTC-DD pre-amp which only has Digital inputs. Can I use a DVD Audio Player/ Sacd player with just a optical cable?

Thanks!!

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Sorry, no such luck for sacd.

But for dvd-audio, if you don't absolutely need the high-resolution MLP tracks (quick translation: MLP = hi-res PCM), then you can access the dvd-audio's Dolby or DTS tracks. This will be obvious on the disc's menu if you play it on a dvd-video player.

But if played on a dvd-audio player..........

To access the 5.1 Dolby/DTS tracks, go to the player's set up menu and look for the option to play the disc as a dvd-video disc. The player will read the disc over again and the DTS/Dolby options will appear.

FYI: this may occur: on dvd-audio players while playing the MLP tracks, the player's digital output may be active, but 90% of the time it won't contain a hi-res PCM signal (probably a "downconverted" 48kHz/24bit one) and when playing a 5.1 channel MLP track it definitely will not contain a 5.1 surround signal--it will only be the two front channels (don't ask--I didn't design this open format! [​IMG] ).

LJ

3. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Extra

Thanks. Do you think it's still worth looking at the Denon 2200 Player or should i go with the 563A pioneer? I have NHT 2.5 I speakers and an ATI Amp. I don't mind spending the extra money if I will notice a differnce in the audio.

Thanks again!!