What's new

AMC and An Officer and a Gentleman (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There was a thread around here concerning AMC, but the search is down. I was interested to see that they played An Officer and a Gentleman uncut last night. Or, I assume it was entirely uncut, as I came in rather late. Let's just say I was shocked to hear a few of the phrases they allowed, especially from the network that edited Breaking Away a few years ago. The ones I heard were (I'll spoiler it for young eyes):
Spoiler:Shit, motherfucker, G-ddamn, and cunt. The latter is probably in my book as the worst expletive, but these things are subjective.
I believe the movie also has a nude scene, but I missed it. The host referred to the love scene after the movie was over, so I assume they played it.
As for the movie itself, I have to say the transfer was excellent. I've never been a big fan of the movie, but I had to stop on it to marvel at the clarity. Without knowing which studio put it out, I instantly knew it had to be a Paramount. They really do great work. I'm ignorant about broadcasting procedures. Is it likely they were broadcasting the DVD? It was OAR and definitely the kind of clarity I expect from DVD.
Anyway, on the heels of them starting to play commercials during some movies, it was interesting to see them air this movie unedited.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on October 11, 2001 at 09:23 PM]

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Thats funny. What time did it air?
I saw a couple seconds last night around 9pm i think. I knew it was edited right from there durring a scene where a girl is trying to climb over a wall,crying & Louis Gossit Jr is yelling at her,then swears......but it faded out the swear so that theres a very brief silence,his lips are moving,but you can't hear the word he said...though you can tell. Some(actually alot) channels even edit out the lips moving,durring swear scenes so you can't see what they mouthed, if they didn't badly dub it that is.
Also i have yet to see a uncensored version besides Apocalypse Now air on the channel. Fright Night was shown both early & late night. So since i was up & it was in widescreen(have'nt seen in in OAR b4)... watched most of it,flipping back & forth.....but again it was edited. All the swearing cut,the breast shot obscured, & i didn't stay to see how some of the gorier FX were cut or not.
I also never bothered watching Apoc. Now since they used a very bad print,that was in mono i think. Sure it was in widescreen + uncensored,but a horrible transfer & really garbled sound. So i just rented the widescreen version on video to see the movie finnaly. Great flick & Redux was slightly better. I'm glad i never bothered seeing a PS version since this movie would look horrible.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It was on around 3am. I know AMC used to air P&S in prime time and widescreen late night, but this uncensored thing is new. I wish I had seen it from the beginning so I could be sure it was totally unedited. Are spoilers necessary for an older movie like this? Just in case:
Spoiler:The scene where David Keith is found hanged showed his naked body from the side. I don't know if that scene originally showed frontal nudity, but it wasn't shown in this broadcast. I tried to see if I could detect any cuts, but none were apparent. I think there might have been a couple of quick cuts in that scene, but they could have been to heighten the tension of the scene.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on October 11, 2001 at 10:56 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if this is true, great, but it's still not consistent. The other day I saw they were playing High Anxiety. It was on twice, so I had my replay tv tape the later one (better chance of being OAR). Unfortunately, it was both pan & scan, and edited for content, and the content can't be any worse than An Officer & a Gentleman.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
[Edited last by george kaplan on October 12, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's definitely true, and I thought of including a paragraph mentioning how inconsistent they are. In fact, the same night I saw An Officer and a Gentleman, they were running another movie P&S.
I think there might be an explanation for High Anxiety, at least. As I said above, I think AMC was just using the Officer and Gentleman DVD. Since High Anxiety isn't available on DVD (AFAIK), they probably only have an old P&S print lying around. Not trying to make excuses for them, but that's probably the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks