What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure if I'll keep this forever since I haven't really enjoyed the regular screenings I've attended. Not Moviepass's fault, it just turns out that for the past few years I've seen things almost exclusively in premium format showings and the standard screens are worse than I remember or have gotten worse. But if they made a version for $20 a month that included IMAX (2D and 3D), Dolby Cinema, 4DX, AMC Prime and Regal RPX, I'd be all over that.

I'm going to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi a bunch of times most likely and it will almost certainly be exclusively in IMAX because of the scene(s) shot with IMAX 15/70 cameras. So I have zero interest in a 2D standard showing of this title. But if Moviepass worked on IMAX, I might see it half a dozen times or more instead of two or three times.

...which is probably why no one wants MP in that territory.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Moviepass limits you to one viewing per title so it cant be used to just see your favorite movies 20 times each.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are you sure? I was under the impression it was one movie per day with no limit on seeing titles multiple times as long as its only one movie ticket per day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you sure? I was under the impression it was one movie per day with no limit on seeing titles multiple times as long as its only one movie ticket per day.
Apparently it’s true.

Can you see the same movie more than once?

MoviePass does not allow you to see the same movie more than once - though you could always just buy a ticket to a different movie and sneak into your desired screening, at your own risk.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Good. Like I said, I have no interest in The Last Jedi in standard 2D, but if a service is advertising that you can see a movie once a day, every day, it's not reasonable to have a title restriction. Most people (outside of major cities) will not have access to 30 unique titles in 30 days, and therefore wouldn't be able to use to pass once a day as advertised.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just signed up. Hope it works as well as y'all indicate. Now in the waiting process for my movie pass card. No e-ticketing option here in Macon.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie tonight was Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. Good movie imho. Fascinating stuff....

didsrmquqaasuqw.jpg

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Good. Like I said, I have no interest in The Last Jedi in standard 2D, but if a service is advertising that you can see a movie once a day, every day, it's not reasonable to have a title restriction. Most people (outside of major cities) will not have access to 30 unique titles in 30 days, and therefore wouldn't be able to use to pass once a day as advertised.
I have no interest in seeing The Last Jedi in a standard theater either. But that's not really why I signed up for Moviepass. I signed up for the films that I previously would have waited for on Blu-Ray. There's a couple of theaters here that do a really good job in their non-premium auditoriums.

I'm curious by some of your previous comments regarding NYC theaters. It's been more than 15 years since I lived there, but back then I always found many of the Manhattan theaters to be of exceptional quality. In most cases they were light years better than the theaters here in Indianapolis at the time. Have they really degraded that much in Manhattan?

I really miss the old Loews Astor Plaza. That's probably the best theater I ever saw a film in. Every film I ever saw there was presented flawlessly.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have no interest in seeing The Last Jedi in a standard theater either. But that's not really why I signed up for Moviepass. I signed up for the films that I previously would have waited for on Blu-Ray. There's a couple of theaters here that do a really good job in their non-premium auditoriums.

I'm curious by some of your previous comments regarding NYC theaters. It's been more than 15 years since I lived there, but back then I always found many of the Manhattan theaters to be of exceptional quality. In most cases they were light years better than the theaters here in Indianapolis at the time. Have they really degraded that much in Manhattan?

I really miss the old Loews Astor Plaza. That's probably the best theater I ever saw a film in. Every film I ever saw there was presented flawlessly.
I loved the Astor Plaza. Saw Empire Strikes Back there in 1980. Awesome experience. Titanic on opening day in 1997 in 70MM!

Miss the Ziegfeld too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sadly, the Ziegfeld wasn't worth it by the end - they didn't modernize for the times.

Here's an example - when The Force Awakens opened, you could see it at the Ziegfeld, in dated seats that were no longer comfortable, and on a sound system that was limited to 5.1, and on a screen which appeared relatively small for the huge size of the room. For the same money, you could walk a few blocks in one direction and see it in IMAX on North America's largest screen, which included an exclusive expanded ratio and was in 3D. Or, you could walk a few blocks in another direction and see it in Dolby Cinema, state of the art 2D laser presentation with Atmos sound and reclining seats. The Ziegfeld was charging a premium price for an experience that was no longer premium. They should have upgraded their screen and sound system as it was a lovely room. But they remained stuck in the late 90s/early 2000s in terms of presentation.

I don't think all NYC theaters are terrible, but many are now multiplexes with screens only 20-30 feet. Everything is automated now and if there's an issue, it's difficult to get it resolved - more often than not in my experience, they'll just give you a pass if you complain rather than fixing it, and if you try to see it again at the same place, it's not worth it because the issue isn't likely fixed. (Small example - one theater had a film listed as being in 3D and I was charged as such. Movie began playing in 2D. Got up to say something. They had the 3D version on the drive but no one there knew how to activate it - the tech guy only comes in once a week to program all the week's showtimes. So not only was that screening not going to be fixed, but it was going to play in 2D all week despite being listed as 3D, because the tech guy wasn't coming back til Thursday no matter what.)

When you've got a nearly 10 foot screen at home, and with a broken down subway system that makes what should be a 15 minute trip into a 45 minute trip, it becomes a question of "Is this worth my time to schlep all the way out there, for what will at best be a decent presentation on a small screen, and at worst, not what I wanted to see at all?" Yeah, there's definitely a little snobbery on my part there that I'll have to admit to. But I think the overall problem is that the human element has been removed from the equation and the people programming the automated stuff don't have a sense of showmanship.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I suspect I'll get more mileage out of my MoviePass during awards season - Oscar bait stuff is usually 2D-only and rarely on premium screens anyway so I won't feel like I'm missing anything seeing them in standard theaters.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Used it to watch Happy Death Day a movie I would never have seen.

Glad I did, really enjoyed it.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Here's a question that I hope someone can answer since movie pass's customer service leaves a little bit to be desired: anyhow I have a movie pass and I ordered one for my wife which came today. Can I attach both cards to the same app?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
From the Movie Pass FAQ:
Can two accounts share the same smartphone?
Every MoviePass account must have its own unique iPhone/Android. Sharing a phone may result in redemption issues, which can prevent you from using the service. We wouldn’t want you to miss your film!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I used it to see Happy Death Day yesterday, an OK movie but nothing to write home about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks