What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No, but I don't really have time to max out the 12 movies/month these days, so as long as I get in about 4 movies/month, I'm happy with A-List, especially since I get to see most movies in Dolby Cinema or IMAX with A-List.

Yeah. Basically 2 movies/month pays for it around here, especially if I go "premium".

Granted, my pre-A-List movie-going got me more than 2 movies for $22, as I'd favor weekend matinees and $5 Tuesday.

Since 4 movies/month makes the cost $5.50, though, I'm paying about the same as I used to, and I have much greater flexibility, as I can see 3D/IMAX/DC for that price, and I can go whenever I want rather than worrying about bargain shows...

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Side note to this discussion: saw "Doctor Sleep" IMAX AMC and the film came with only 9 minutes of trailers!

I'm used to a good 20 minutes at AMC.

I assume it's because the movie's 2.5 hours, so I won't get used to it, but it was still nice to get a film with a reasonable allotment of trailers and not the usual endurance test!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Side note to this discussion: saw "Doctor Sleep" IMAX AMC and the film came with only 9 minutes of trailers!

I'm used to a good 20 minutes at AMC.

I assume it's because the movie's 2.5 hours, so I won't get used to it, but it was still nice to get a film with a reasonable allotment of trailers and not the usual endurance test!

That's good to know, as I have chosen this as an A-list film for Tuesday, and I'm often late getting out my door and rely on that 20 minute cushion of previews (which basically I have no interest in seeing) to avoid missing the start of the movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's good to know, as I have chosen this as an A-list film for Tuesday, and I'm often late getting out my door and rely on that 20 minute cushion of previews (which basically I have no interest in seeing) to avoid missing the start of the movie.

Saw Dolby Cinema "Midway" yesterday and "FvF" today, both of which are about 2.5 hours.

Didn't time the trailers, but they seemed less lengthy than usual - maybe 12-15 minutes?

Of course, we still have to sit through Dolby telling us how awesome Dolby is. We already bought the tickets - why indoctrinate us? :D

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
When I saw Doctor Sleep in AMC IMAX at a multiplex (with a Dolby Cinema) this past Wednesday night there were 8 trailers.

Like a Boss
Antlers
The Invisible Man
Knives Out
Birds of Prey
Jumanji: The Next Level
Dark Waters
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Posted showtime was 7pm and the feature started sometime around 7:25pm.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Doctor Sleep in AMC IMAX at a multiplex (with a Dolby Cinema) this past Wednesday night there were 8 trailers.

Like a Boss
Antlers
The Invisible Man
Knives Out
Birds of Prey
Jumanji: The Next Level
Dark Waters
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Posted showtime was 7pm and the feature started sometime around 7:25pm.

Interesting. Guess there's some leeway at different locations, since my showing was AMC IMAX and like I said, we got 9 minutes of trailers!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Wednesday, I made my 130 mile round trip to my nearest AMC Dolby Cinema theater with my two A-List choices were Ford vs. Ferrari and Charlie's Angels, both playing in the same Dolby Cinema theater.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Tom Hanks does a good job, but it's not quite what I expected, being as much about the journalist as it is about Fred Rogers. Still, I really liked it, because I guess I needed a thoughtful pick-me-up like this movie. "A-"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was the tough crime drama 21 Bridges. Imho the star power of Chadwick Boseman lifts this B-cop thriller to a "B+".

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
A-List report for October 29 - November 28, 2019

I saw 13 movies via A-List last month. My 34-state A-List costs $21 with tax, and the movies would have collectively cost $113 at the box office, so I saved $92 this month.

Of the 13 films, two were in IMAX and one in 3D, a nice bonus. Here's the list:

10.31.19: countdown
11.1.19: terminator dark fate (IMAX)
11.4.19: motherless brooklyn
11.7.19: harriet tubman (i)
11.10.19: jojo rabbit (i)
11.11.19: western stars
11.14.19: last christmas
11.15.19: ford vs ferrari (IMAX)
11.18.19: charlie's angels 2019
11.21.19: parasite (i)
11.22.19: frozen 2 (3D)
11.25.19: 21 bridges (i)
11.26.19: frankie (i)

Lifetime totals:

Movies seen via A-List since July 29, 2018 ........ 203

Cost if I bought tickets at box office ................... $1721

A-List cost ............................................................... $336

Cumulative lifetime savings ............................ $1385

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The $20-whatever we pay each month for A-List counts toward rewards points, right?

That is correct. So every 2.5 months, you earn a $5 Stubs Reward just from your monthly A-List fee alone.

But I also book my A-List through Fandango, and with Fandango, you get a $5 reward good towards streaming movies or actual movie tickets every four movies you book. Since I see twelve A-List movies a month, I earn 3 of those every month! So what I do is let my wife use my Stubs Rewards to buy popcorn and candy and stuff, LOL.

Really, if you are on A-List, you should book via Fandango. It is a seamless process, the only thing it can't do so far is the new "entourage" group booking, but if that's not an issue for you, it's a no-brainer to use Fandango.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm giving up my A-List next year as I don't use it enough to justify the cost. My local AMC theater sucks when it comes to seating and I hate watching movies there as it's just too uncomfortable. The next nearest AMC theater is 65 miles away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks