What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yeah, the AMC theaters closest to me with Dolby Cinema and IMAX are not showing it in 3-D at either of those theaters. I do have a reservation for one of those 2-D IMAX showings that I'll probably end up cancelling because I'm seeing it in 3-D IMAX at another theater chain that is much closer to me.

Moving to Florida in December
amc.jpg

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
AMC annoyance today.

They have a promotion for a $5 popcorn/drink combo if you buy a ticket to "Countdown". You're supposed to get coupon in confirmation email.

I didn't, so I contacted "live chat".

Rep asked me to jump through a ridiculous # of hoops, including taking screen shots of the email to "prove" no coupon was attached.

I eventually said no - I wasn't going through the hassle of taking screen grabs and sending them from phone to computer and attaching them just for a lousy coupon.

I stayed polite but told her it was ridiculous that I was being asked to do all this for a coupon, especially since their side of things screwed up.

And this coupon isn't for some mega-deal. It's the same $5 combo every AMC sells Tuesdays - or sells all the time at some AMCs, as @Tino knows.

They send out coupons for $5 combos frequently, so why give me such a hard time about this one?

Eventually she acquiesced and gave me a $5 promo credit on my account instead of the coupon.

Bizarre waste of time and resources jumping through hoops for such a minor bonus!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, considering the material value of the actual combo ingredients is likely less than $1.

It was bizarre. I wasn't even trying to get a free combo, and she could see that my order was for the right movie.

What's the worst that could've happened - I had two coupons? That would've bankrupted AMC! :rolleyes:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It's official. I'm a CineMark Rewards member! We went to see Maleficent last night (just going to see a movie) and I thought that even for myself the $8.99 a month was a deal. Going to see Judy on Tuesday night!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
A-List report for September 29 - October, 2019

I saw 13 movies via A-List last month. My 34-state A-List costs $21 with tax, and the movies would have collectively cost $120 at the box office, so I saved $99 this month.

Of the 13 films, 3 were in Dolby Cinema, 1 in IMAX and 1 in 3D, a nice bonus. Here's the list:

9.29.19: aquarela (i)
10.2.19: abominable (3D)
10.4.19: joker (IMAX)
10.7.19: joker (Atmos)
10.9.19: judy
10.14.19: the addams family (Atmos)
10.15.19: war (bollywood)
10.17.19: gemini man
10.18.19: zombieland double-tap
10.21.19: maleficent 2 (Atmos)
10.24.19: maleficent 2 (IMAX)
10.25.19: current war
10.28.19: black and blue

Lifetime totals:

Movies seen via A-List since July 29, 2018 ........ 190

Cost if I bought tickets at box office ................... $1608

A-List cost ............................................................... $315

Cumulative lifetime savings ............................ $1293

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
10.21.19: maleficent 2 (Atmos)
10.24.19: maleficent 2 (IMAX)....

Cumulative lifetime savings ............................ $1293

Congrats on your savings! Amazing. I've probably saved about half that, but I guess I can look it up somewhere on the app?

Anyway, nice to see another person who liked Maleficent 2. I was thinking of seeing it again in 3D. How was it the second time?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on your savings! Amazing. I've probably saved about half that, but I guess I can look it up somewhere on the app?

Anyway, nice to see another person who liked Maleficent 2. I was thinking of seeing it again in 3D. How was it the second time?

My partner really wanted to see it, so we went. I think it's better than I expected it to be!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Glad you mentioned Mal 2 and liked it as well. I liked it the second time as much as the first, it didn't wear out at all. And seeing it in IMAX and Dolby was great.

I am surprised that Mal 2 is doing so poorly (relatively speaking) at the box office. To me, it was quite entertaining, as good as the first one.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Glad you mentioned Mal 2 and liked it as well. I liked it the second time as much as the first, it didn't wear out at all. And seeing it in IMAX and Dolby was great.

I am surprised that Mal 2 is doing so poorly (relatively speaking) at the box office. To me, it was quite entertaining, as good as the first one.

Mistress of Evil has actually made almost $300 million at the box office so far, but with a production cost of about $180 million, and probably advertising costs of at least another $50 million (and probably much more) it does look like red ink will be flowing from this one.

Grosses
DOMESTIC (22.7%)
$67,495,730
INTERNATIONAL (77.3%)
$229,393,240
WORLDWIDE
$296,888,970

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie tonight was Motherless Brooklyn. A lot of it was my cup of tea—great cast, film noir with a major political twist, wonderful period details, etc. But sometimes you can know too much about a period of history to enjoy how it's been messed with. In the movie, Alec Baldwin plays "Moses Randolf," who is clearly based on the real historical figure Robert Moses. In fact, it's clear that a landmark Pulitzer-prize winning non-fiction book called The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, by one of my heroes, Robert A. Caro, was the basis for quite of bit of this. But then, as I say, if you know your real history some things just aren't right, and so overall a "B-" for me. But a great performance by Edward Norton as the title character, and he also directs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My A-list movie tonight was Motherless Brooklyn. A lot of it was my cup of tea—great cast, film noir with a major political twist, wonderful period details, etc. But sometimes you can know too much about a period of history to enjoy how it's been messed with. In the movie, Alec Baldwin plays "Moses Randolf," who is clearly based on the real historical figure Robert Moses. In fact, it's clear that a landmark Pulitzer-prize winning non-fiction book called The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, by one of my heroes, Robert A. Caro, was the basis for quite of bit of this. But then, as I say, if you know your real history some things just aren't right, and so overall a "B-" for me. But a great performance by Edward Norton as the title character, and he also directs.
I know all about the corrupt Robert Moses and how he screwed NYC Metro area up, but I'm still looking forward to seeing this film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The good and bad of AMC customer service:

The bad: AMC had a promotion last week: buy a ticket to "Countdown" and get a coupon for a $5 Cameo Combo. As @Tino knows, this isn't a big special: it's always $5 on Tuesdays and at some locations, it's $5 everyday.

It's $10 on non-Tuesdays here, so I figured I'd get the promotion. I checked the fine print to see if A-List tickets were exempt - nope, so I ordered a ticket.

Coupon was supposed to be in email - it wasn't, so I went to AMC "live chat". The agent ran me through a bunch of hoops to prove I'd actually ordered the ticket - which made no sense since she could access my account and see it - and then demanded that I send a screenshot of the email to prove I didn't get the coupon.

This fell into PITA territory. I'd have to take multiple screenshots of the email on my phone - it was too long to fit one screen - and then email them to myself, download them to my PC, and then send them to her.

All for a freakin' coupon that's a pretty standard thing for AMC.

I basically refused and said that the situation was ridiculous. After back and forth, she eventually relented and put a $5 credit on my AMC account just to shut me up, I guiess. (For reasons unknown, she couldn't send a coupon.)

I was so annoyed by all this, I bailed on the movie entirely,

The good: I tried again Thursday, the last day of the promotion. Ordered ticket - again, no coupon.

I decided to wait and see if one came closer to showtime - nope.

I figured I'd just ask at customer service at the theater. They knew nothing about the promotion but worked to help when I showed them the screenshot about it. They didn't demand to see the email to prove I never got a coupon.

After they checked with a manager, they said they'd give it to me - and they meant literally, as they just comped me the combo and didn't even ask for the $5!

I was totally cool with paying the $5, but free was better! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation615
Recent bookmarks