1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (See Post #2314)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Basically feels like getting sucked into buying a TimeShare property...

Josh Steinberg and Sam Posten like this.
  2. Message #2322 of 2351 Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My A-list movie today was The Goldfinch. Even though everyone else seems to dislike this movie, and it's a box office bomb, I liked it a lot. It's convoluted, long, improbable, etc., but also raw, moving, beautifully filmed by Roger Deakins, and has strong performances all around. I was moved by it and the story held me. My rating: A-

Jeff Adkins and steve jaros like this.
  3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My A-list movie today was The Peanut Butter Falcon. A few "fake" moments broke me out of this movie, but overall it was good. "B"

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

"There’s tremendous appetite for movie theater ticket subscription".

He's right - and that's why the theater chains themselves have now gobbled up that market.

Only possible way to make MP work is back at the $50/month price point they offered initially, but with AMC and Regal cheaper, who'll want it?

Might get some people in places without those 2 - or where those 2 exist but they're not convenient - but that's about it.

Seems like it'd be next to impossible to overcome the bad aura around MP at this point, too. Who in their right mind would trust MP with their money?

benbess likes this.
  6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Props for trying and all...but come on. How many lives is MP gonna have?

Even at $50 a month, that's basically double A List's price without any of the bells and whistles and features. Like Colin said, MAYBE in a place without an AMC or Regal this is gonna fly...but how many places are like that in the country? And can those places support MP?

Without doing any research, I'm gonna say no.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

You could basically get both Regal and AMC plans for $50!

The whole thing smells like a PR stunt or a scam - or both...

benbess and Jason_V like this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Anybody that give their money to MP again is being foolish in my opinion as you can't trust these guys.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  9. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My A-list movie today was Official Secrets, starring Keira Knightley, Matt Smith, Ralph Fiennes, and several other strong British actors. Nice cinematography by Florian Hoffmeister in this based on real life story directed by Gavin Hood (Eye in the Sky). My rating: A-

steve jaros likes this.
  10. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask or a new thread but, I’ve got a question about image quality at my AMC.

Lately I have been notice a distracting amount of stair-casing, or aliasing, during movies at my AMC. On every diagonal edge, subtitles as well, there is an easily visible stair case effect, even on actors noses and arms at certain angles. If this was a video game I’d just turn on anti-aliasing but can’t do that here. I just don’t seem to remember noticing this until recently and it seems to be getting worse. It almost feels like I’m watching a DVD blown up to fill the screen. Odd thing is that I only see it in the smaller auditoriums, the larger one, and IMAX, don’t have this problem.

Is my AMC not setting something on the projectors correctly? Worse yet, is this just the nature of digital projectors and I’m only noticing it more because I’m seeing more movies because of A-List?

11. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben

I have not had this problem at my local AMC.

However, at the local discount theater, which on Tuesdays costs only $2, today I saw a film that had just that effect. I think it means the projectors are wearing out. But maybe they can be adjusted? Perhaps ask a manager about it?

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It could be a couple different things. There could certainly be something wrong with the projector hardware somewhere, or in how it’s server is processing the images. Studios also frequently send out multiple versions of the same DCP that are optimized for different systems, and it’s possible that someone programming the projector at your theater is selecting the wrong versions for the equipment they have.

13. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My A-list movie today was the Dreamworks animated film Abominable, which was in fairly good, but not up to the Pixar level. Box office, however, might be abominable based on my theater, since I was the only one there on opening night. Rating: "B".

steve jaros likes this.
  14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption. Abominable is a family film, which will do most of its business on the weekend, not on a school night. Also, bbecause it's not part of a preexisting franchise, there's not likely a huge amount of upfront demand to see the very first screening as there would be if it were a sequel.

15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    No issues at my AMC. Speak to the manger I suggest.

16. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    A-List report for August 29 - September 28, 2019

I saw 13 movies via A-List last month. My 34-state A-List costs $21 with tax, and the movies would have collectively cost $132 at the box office, so I saved $111 this month.

Of the 13 films, 5 were in Dolby Cinema, a nice bonus. Here's the list:

8.29.19: angel has fallen (Atmos) ....................$12
    8.30.19: overcomer (i) ............................. ........ $8
    9.1.19: the matrix 20th anniversary (Atmos) ..$12
    9.4.19: after the wedding (i) ................. ........... $9
    9.8.19: don't let go ............................................ $5
    9.11.19: angry birds 2 ........................................ $8
    9.12.19: it 2 (Atmos) ........................................... $12
    9.16.19: hustlers (Atmos) .................................. $12
    9.18.19: linda rondstadt (i) ................................ $10
    9.19.19: dream girls (bollywood) ....................... $8
    9.20.19: downton abbey ..................................... $8
    9.23.19: ad astra (Atmos) ................................... $12
    9.26.19: official secrets (i) ...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.......... $8
    9.27.19: rambo last blood .......................... ........ $8

Lifetime totals:

Movies seen via A-List since July 29, 2018 ........ 177

Cost if I bought tickets at box office ................... $1488

A-List cost ............................................................... $294

Cumulative lifetime savings ............................ $1194

benbess likes this.
  17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    My local movie theater has just announced this change. These movie theater owners are feeling the pinch and it's only going to get worse going forward.

Effective Tuesday, October 8, 2019, we will be discontinuing additional Tuesday ticket discounts.
    [​IMG]
    Today, October 1, 2019 will be the last day to take advantage of the additional $1 or $2 off Tuesday tickets (depending on your GQT location). Tuesday tickets will still be our lowest ticket price during the week, we hope to see you at the movies!

18. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    I've had something similar happen in my area: The two AMC theaters that are close to me and that i visit for A-List have ended their before-noon showings on basically all days except Friday. Movies starting before noon are priced at $5 on any day not just Tuesday, but that is gone now.

That's important to me, because even with A-List, I sometimes want to see a fourth movie using $5 rewards, and would go to a before noon showing so that my rewards covered the ticket price. Now, since matinees after 12 cost $8, that doesn't happen any more.

I asked the manager about the change and he attributed it to being the "slow period" between the end of the summer season and the beginning of the holiday season. But when I pressed him on that, he admitted that in prior slow periods this new policy had not been in effect.

I also no longer have the advantage of standing in a dedicated A-List/Stubs box office line, because during the day they have shut down the outside box office and everyone comes inside and pays in one line. This has obviously been done so they can employ fewer staff during the day to save money.

The pinch is Real, and it could mean that the bonanza times even for A-List are ending. I fear one of my AMCs could shut down.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't go to the movies as much as I used to and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. Matter of fact, after this last Star Wars film about the Skywalker family, my attendance at movie theaters will be even less. I used to go to the movies 2-3 times a week. Now, I'll be lucky to go twice in a month. I suspect next year it's going to be even less than that depending on what is showing. I just don't enjoy the experience enough as well as the increasing cost of doing so. My favorite theater is 35 mile round trip. The nearest modern AMC complex with Dolby Cinema and IMAX is more than 130 mile round trip for me. Quality theater chain that just changed their Tuesday policy has never been a favorite movie chain of mine. Anyhow, I have a bunch of gift cards that I'll use up and then go from there.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The small local theaters near me switched to a "seasonal" schedule a couple years ago, with just one show daily in the early evening. All my life until this point, they had always run two shows per night.

During summer and school vacations, they have been going back to two shows a night plus a daily matinee.