1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (See Post #2314)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

But it's still a "PG-13" movie, and one with an ad campaign that makes it look very unfriendly to little kids.

Just because the book series was done for a younger audience doesn't mean the movies went for that same crowd.

Sorry, but there's no way a parent is gonna see the "PG-13" and the ad campaign and think it's a good choice for their pre-teen...

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    The number of questionable parenting choices we've all seen in the theater begs to differ with that.

However, I don't believe Scary Stories had any impact on Angry Birds 2. The absurd August release date didn't help, nor did the audience and critical scores for the first movie.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    My A-list movie today was "Where'd You Go, Bernadette." As RT says in its summary of the 47% rating it has: "Where'd You Go, Bernadette offers dispiriting proof that a talented director, bestselling source material, and terrific cast can add up to far less than the sum of their parts." It's also been yet another box office failure for Annapurna, grossing only $8 million on a c.$18 million production budget and unknown advertising costs. For a movie supposedly about architecture and an architect there's very little really about architecture in the movie, and some of what is there seemed fake to me, a flaw that probably comes in part from the original novel. As a drama it's ok, and has some good moments, but too many of the situations and characters for me were not really believable. This movie has its heart in the right place, but I wish they'd put more reality into it.

steve jaros likes this.
  4. Colin Jacobson

My point has been that nothing about "Scary Stories" sells the movie to a pre-teen audience.

Yes, lots of parents make bad choices - for reasons no one understands, my stepmother thought it made sense to take my then-4-year-old brother to "Alien" in 1979! - but this is about movies that look like logical competition for kids.

PG-13 horror movies with frightening imagery in their ads don't seem to be trying to get the Disney demo!

5. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    My A-List selections for this past week were:

1) Overcomer ..... not recommended. It's a faith-based film (I'm a Christian so don't have a problem with this in theory) that is just too mawkish and predictable.

2) The Matrix (20th Anniversary showing) - We all know about this one, LOL.

3) After the Wedding - mixed recommendation. Good cast, well acted, and a nice mood is created. But the director doesn't trust the core story, so constantly throws in new twists to up the drama, which grows tiresome.

6. Colin Jacobson

At the risk of seeming dismissive, aren't most faith-based movies mawkish and predictable?

I've watched a few, including some like "Heaven Is For Real" that I'd heard would be more subtle than most.

"Last Temptation of Christ" was terrific, and I'm sure there are others, but most seem trite and one-dimensional...

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Did anyone think they were going to come back?

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I'm sure someone had hope.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    But what about my $5 in stoooock? :)

Patrick Sun likes this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    It's interesting that in the little over two years since @Tino started this thread, two of the subscription services in the title have now folded.

12. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Seems like the title of this thread should maybe be changed?

Jake Lipson likes this.
  13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That’s fine with me.

I would just delete movie pass and sinimia from the title.

Jake Lipson and benbess like this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Done as Movie Pass and Sinemia have been deleted!

Sam Posten, benbess and Tino like this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I find it interesting how Regal has basically priced themselves out of this conversation with their more restrictive service and litany of surcharges.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I don't have a Regal locally -- they just don't operate in this part of the country -- but they do operate where I used to live a few years ago, where most of my friends still are. I don't know anyone who has signed up for their program.

17. Colin Jacobson

I think Regal just came to the game too late, as a lot of people who might've picked their program already went AMC and don't see the need to change.

There certainly seems to be less discussion of Regal's plan than there is of AMC's!

18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think Regal knows how successful AMC's program has been, and even though they'd love to get people to change over, I don't think that was their primary goal in launching their own service. I think they were aiming theirs for the patrons who already frequent their theaters, rather than making the focus on getting people to switch. If people live in a market where AMC doesn't have a theater and Regal does, then the Regal plan would be something to consider.

Of course, here, we only have the one AMC with the bad wheelchair seating which I hate and several Cinemark locations. Cinemark is still stuck on that $8.99/month for one ticket subscription plan, which doesn't make sense to me because the ticket price for a matinee (which is what I almost always go to) is less than that. I was hoping that the entry of Regal into the space would force Cinemark (currently the only major chain without an all-you-can-eat-type subscription) to introduce a more decked-out tier to compete more fully with them and AMC, but so far that hasn't happened.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  19. Colin Jacobson

Yeah, I get that. Still seems like Regal's plan hasn't gotten 1/10th the attention of AMC's.

Granted, some of that is because AMC came a year earlier. Still, I would've thought I'd hear more discussion of the Regal plan here and other similar discussion boards - it just seems to have landed with a thud!

Jake Lipson and Josh Steinberg like this.
  20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    AMC definitely had better promotions and signage - you could show up to the theater with a ticket in hand already and they’d let you sign up for the program after the movie and give you credit for the cost of your ticket. That’s a pretty inviting way to roll it out.

Compared to Regal’s offer of “pay us for the entire year right now, plus you still have to pay a service fee every time you reserve a ticket, plus an extra fee for any amenities that AMC includes for free. By the time they finish telling you about the fees, you’re running for the hills.

Sam Posten and Jake Lipson like this.