1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (See Post #2314)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Saw that before going out last night and just hadda chuckle. Not because I'm a terrible person who delights in seeing people who work at MP potentially losing a job or anything like that. But because it's been a minute or so since MP made the news. It felt like old times.

But no, what kind of planned update takes an unspecified amount of time to implement? Sure, they're saying "a few weeks," but let's be serious. If they come back, I'd expect it to happen in the second half of August, if not after Labor Day.

Gotta say this for MP: with them, we wouldn't have all the other services we're currently using. So thanks for being a trailblazer?

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  3. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    It's a "meh" movie to me. SLJ is IMO too old to be playing Shaft, and the movie doesn't really go anywhere. Still, it is mildly entertaining and doesn't overstay its welcome.

If you can see it for free then go, otherwise wait for HBO or Netflix.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I liked Shaft more than you did, but I looked at the film as more of a comedy than anything else so I found it rather funny.

TravisR likes this.
  5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    For anyone who is or has been a member of Cinemark Movie Club, is there a stipulation on how long you must remain subscribed after you sign up?

I have never used this because the $8.99/month charge is more money than a matinee movie ticket here, and 99% of the time I go to matinees. But I got a flyer in the mail today from Cinemark with a code on it for a free month of Movie Club, which means that they'll pay for the first movie I see with it.

I'm wondering if anything would prevent me from signing up, redeeming the code, getting one ticket out of it, and then immediately cancelling before they bill the second month.

I'm not sure if that's moral or not. But theoretically, would it work?

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    Yes, you should be able to do that according to their FAQ:

Is there a minimum enrollment period?
    No. Stay as long or as little as you like! You can cancel your membership at any time.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Regal Unlimited has officially been released and it sucks a lot more than I thought it would. It doesn't cover IMAX, RPX, 4DX, or 3D showings. The level of membership you want to get completely depends on where you live. The cheapest plan covers 200 Regal theaters. The middle tier covers 400 Regal theaters and the highest tier covers all Regal theaters. I will have to think about this before pulling the trigger since there is a 1 year minimum membership period.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/unlimited

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That is indeed not as good as what was rumored, and the yearlong commitment may make a lot of people gun-shy about joining up.

Still, it's something. I don't have a Regal near me, so it's a moot point, but I only do standard 2D shows anyway, so if Cinemark were to invent something like that that worked at my local theater, I would do it. I'm hoping Regal's entry into this space (which AMC has been occupying already for a while with A-List) will force Cinemark to come up with a more deluxe plan than their Movie Club, which doesn't make sense to me.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s a hard pass from me, and I was someone with a Regal a five minute ride away and eager to subscribe.

Jeff Adkins and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I already didn't plan to join because I'm so happy with AMC, but the details of Regal's plan leave me without any temptation.

I'd have to go with their most expensive plan, so for $2 more/month than I pay AMC, I'd have a weaker program since I can't use the Regal plan for 3D or IMAX without added costs.

Yeah, the fact it's unlimited is marginally appealing, but since I rarely go to even the 3 movies/week AMC allots, in practical terms it's meaningless.

Seems dumb Regal would counter AMC with a plan that's worse in most ways!

Jake Lipson and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The yearly requirement and lack of included amenities make this a no-go for me.

If they had introduced a plan for, say, $25 a month that included 3D and premium formats and required the same or less commitment than AMC, I’d be there yesterday. But this is too much of a commitment for too much time and money and too little in return. It feels like one of those gym memberships people get and then feel obligated to use rather than something one gets to enjoy using. I’d always be worried about justifying my investment.

Jeff Adkins and Jake Lipson like this.
  12. Message #2252 of 2362 Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    steve jaros

Steve
    The closest Regal is 70 miles from me so this is a no-go, but even if it was 7 miles it wouldn't tempt me to give up A-List for it.

The surcharges for everything other than regular 2D is the killer, as I like to go to films in those formats.

Also, the 50 cent convenience fee for using their app! I use my app to buy tickets, and go to about 10 movies per month, so right there I'd get hit with $5 in fees above the $18 monthly fee.

13. Colin Jacobson

They'll still charge to order tickets on the app, even if you sign up for this plan???

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was at my Regal today, and I overheard a group of four employees and a manager discussing why they felt the plan was a bad offering. They hit on all the points we’ve discussed here. I briefly chimed in and mentioned that I very much would have loved to have joined but that I wasn’t going to because of the things they were all mentioning.

15. steve jaros

Steve
    That's my understanding, but in case I am wrong here is a statement from the Regal website, the FAQ on the program:

Do I have to pay any fees other than the monthly or annual Subscription fee?

It's possible.

• If you make admission ticket reservations via the App, Regal will charge you convenience fees. (A reduced convenience fee of $0.50 (plus applicable taxes) will apply to any such reservation, and, once implemented by Regal, to any other admission ticket obtained in the same transaction. Until such implementation, standard convenience fees will apply to all non-Subscription admission tickets.) Convenience fees are subject to change at any time in Regal’s sole discretion.

16. Colin Jacobson

Sounds like you had it right. Just surprises me - I would've thought Regal would've given subscribers a bonus by eliminating fees ala AMC.

It's another ding against the Regal plan. If I go to 10 movies a month, my $24 plan essentially becomes a $29 plan.

Yeah, I could just get the tickets at the box office - and I probably would if I joined - but it still seems like a self-inflicted wound.

Dropping the fees for subscribers seems like a nice carrot to get people to join, especially because I think advance ordering is a real boon to theaters...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  17. Message #2257 of 2362 Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    steve jaros

Steve
    A-List Year One Report

I joined A-List on July 29, 2018, so today marks the end of my first year. As of tomorrow, July 29, I will be on the new $20 tier that doesn't cover the whole country. So how did it go? Here's the report:

Movies seen via A-List during the year ........ 152 (158, see below)

Cost if I bought tickets at box office .............. $1252

A-List cost .......................................................... $252

Cumulative savings for a year ........................ $1000

AMC has said that their break-even point for moviegoers is about 2.4 visits per month. I averaged 12.6 visits per month, or 2.92 visits per week. I came close to the theoretical maximum of 156 movies, if you saw all three movies you are entitled to all 52 weeks, 157 if you could squeeze one more movie in on the 365th day.

I saved a whopping $1000 (awesome coincidence, eh?) in doing so, and that is a real savings, because A-List didn't really prompt me to see more movies. I saw 144 movies in the year before I had A-List. I just paid a whole lot less to see them.

A-List also allowed me to see WAY more "premium" format movies
    . In the year before i joined, I saw 18 movies in IMAX, Dolby Cinema, or 3D. In the last year on A-List, I saw 58 such movies. In other word's, 58/152 movies I saw via A-List were in some kind of "premium" format where they charge you more. That was very cool, LOL.

Finally, A-List had another benefit. I joined Fandango, and they give you credits for the A-List movies you reserve through them. As a result, I saw 6 more movies for free by cashing in the Fandango credits. Those can be attributed to A-List, because as I never spent money on concessions, all the points were earned just by using A-List to reserve movies. I strongly recommend using Fandango to reserve your A-List tickets. They are an AMC partner so their app works seamlessly with the program.

So in effect, I really saw 158 movies this past year thanks to A-List.

Thanks A-List! :)

benbess and Colin Jacobson like this.
  18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  19. Colin Jacobson

Used A-List for "Art of Self-Defense" today.

Five word review: "Wes Anderson Directs 'Fight Club'"!

20. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Saw Hobbs & Shaw today with A-list in IMAX with my wife. We liked the Rock, and we enjoyed some of the stuff in Samoa, but overall it was too violent and too absurd. Headache-inducing sound. Not my cup of tea. "C-"