Ambient Light

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PhilipD, Aug 26, 2003.

1. PhilipD

PhilipD Auditioning

I apologize in advance because I know that this is a "Home Theater" forum, and this is not technically a home theater question. But I know that the best advice is probably here.

For my living room, which has "normal" lighting conditions during the day, I want a display that will give me the best possible picture quality. I have no interest in modifying this room to improve the lighting.

The question is which is better, a high quality RPTV or a plasma? I am wrestling between a Panasonic 42" plasma and a Pioneer Elite RPTV.

I have seen miscellaneous comments around that a good RPTV will blow away a plasma in terms of picture quality. Is this true? If so, how will the ambient light situation during the day impact this?

I have DirecTV for most viewing, watch DVD's, and will upgrade the required components to get HDTV.

Thanks,
    Phil

P.S. A true "Home Theater" is in the works, and I will get a front projector for that.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Pioneer RPTV has a superior image in a controlled environment. If you need to watch the TV is a well lit location, you need to be prepared to overdrive the RPTV ... thus shortening its life span and degrading image quality.

Plasmas are bright and good from any angle ... but are small and expensive if you want any quality associated with it.

If you went with the plasma ... you would not be disappointed aside from the small size and the lack of proper blacks. (burn in is also a greater concern on plasma units than crt rptv's.)

regards

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is very much a pertinent topic, and you posted in the correct area.

Plasma displays have the virtue of greater light output, which works to their advantage in brightly lit rooms. CRT-based RPTVs, however, despite their lower light output, have the more accurate, convincing picture (when properly calibrated) due to their better black levels. But they are best viewed in dimly lit or zero-lit rooms due to their lower light output.

4. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

5. PhilipD

PhilipD Auditioning

Thanks for the advice!

Based upon what I'm hearing, I think the best solution for me will be the plasma. For less than $3000 the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY is a great buy, and for my room size/viewing distance I don't need a larger picture. At the moment it's not worth the extra $2000 to go up a notch to the higher resolution unit, either.

For years I have admired the picture on the Pioneer Elite RPTV's, but for the lighting conditions that I will have to contend with, the plasma is probably the better choice.

Thanks again,
    Phil