What's new

Amazon's big Hollywood announcement. Will it be about Ultraviolet? (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I want to make it clear that I'm honestly not sure, but don't you then have to delete the file when you're done to free up room, and download it again if you ever want to watch it as a download again?
Nope and on a home server that's DNLA compliant CFF UV files can be stored as you choose. BTW I have copied several UV files to Optical Media for off storage.
Did you also see that Fox is going to sell UV movies a few weeks before physical media and iTunes?
http://www.tvpredictions.com/fox090712.htm
Folks, Ultraviolet isn't going away, it's full steam ahead.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I'm talking strictly from the iPad. So you download the file to the Flixter application, and when you're done, you either delete it and redownload it later or... what? Does it get backed up onto your computer through iTunes with the Flixter app the next time you sync?
What I'm about to say isn't the fault of Ultraviolet (one of the rare times I'll ever say that, so enjoy it), but IF that's the case - that sucks. But that's an iTunes thing. I use Comic Zeal for all my digital comic books, and my iPad backups take about an hour on average because it's constantly backing up several gigabytes worth of digital comic files. It's an awful system.
Towergrove said:
The Titanic went full steam ahead, too.
Nobody wants it to go away unless it's trying to become the ONLY way to do something. So long as it stays over there, I'll stay over here and we'll never bother each other.
I certainly don't want it to go away, as if it does how else will I get $5 to $7 off every new Blu-ray release.
All I'm saying is that it would not be unprecedented for people to throw a lot of support behind this on the company side and for it to still fail. I've NEVER said that it should "go away," or that it "deserves to fail." I've just said it sucks. Different concepts, those.
Trust me, I've thrown my support behind products that have tanked epically in the past. These early days are not the gloating days, no matter how clear things might seem to you. It'll only feel ten times worse if the thing does go down in the future. Ask a Zune supporter (or, more hilariously, someone who bought a bunch of mini discs) and they'll back me up :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Did you also see that Fox is going to sell UV movies a few weeks before physical media and iTunes?
http://www.tvpredictions.com/fox090712.htm
Yeah, that worked well with Tower Heist...
DIVX was full steam ahead too. As was HD DVD. Just cause it is getting more aggressive studio support doesn't mean it is guaranteed success.
Regarding downloads: So I can download a file to a mac and manage it being sent to all my iDevices and then delete it or not as I please via iTunes? Or are there a bunch of 3rd party apps that have to all play nice together to make this work?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Yeah, that worked well with Tower Heist...
DIVX was full steam ahead too. As was HD DVD. Just cause it is getting more aggressive studio support doesn't mean it is guaranteed success.
Regarding downloads: So I can download a file to a mac and manage it being sent to all my iDevices and then delete it or not as I please via iTunes? Or are there a bunch of 3rd party apps that have to all play nice together to make this work?
Don't think it works via iTunes but yes it does work through flixster and other software on I products.
Have you tried UV Sam?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope, I have no reason to. And I refuse to inflate their user numbers by testing it out until they fix the underlying dumb issues.
If you can't manage a download yourself to your own devices, what is the point?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Before anyone jumps on him (which, oh man, is that about to happen), I've used it, and I think it sucks too :)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Nope, I have no reason to. And I refuse to inflate their user numbers by testing it out until they fix the underlying dumb issues.
If you can't manage a download yourself to your own devices, what is the point?
To answer your last sentence, I can download to my own device. I have some UV files on my iPad.
I do have to ask why would someone want to use iTunes for their video purchases? Can't play them on any device other than an Apple product or PC. With my UV titles I can play them on a multitude of devices and services.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
MattAlbie60 said:
23451/amazons-big-hollywood-announcement-will-it-be-about-ultraviolet#post_3971595">Before anyone jumps on him (which, oh man, is that about to happen), I've used it, and I think it sucks too :)
Hi Matt, Jump on him... Lets hope not in the name of good taste! :). BTW Matt I love your avatar. One of my favorite actors and just love musclemen!
Sarah

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Towergrove said:
Hi Matt, Jump on him... Lets hope not in the name of good taste! :). BTW Matt I love your avatar. One of my favorite actors and just love musclemen!
Sarah
Ha, well, glad you like it. Nothing makes me laugh harder than that dopey deleted scene from T2 where the T-800 learns to smile. I understand why it's not in the movie, but it's a gem.
To answer your question from up there, I can only speak for personal experience but Ultraviolet is the exact wrong thing for me. I buy everything that I would want to watch on disc. I'm a collector. I've always been a collector, and it really is a carry over from my comic book collecting mentality. So if I want it, I buy it when I have the money.
So as a result, the only digital copies I need/have were given to me through download codes included in Blu-rays. If I want to watch a movie, it's likely at home, and I pop in the disc. If I want to watch a movie on the road, and I have a digital copy of it, I sync it to my iPad or iPod Touch. That's it. That's the sole use I have for it. So the fact that you can only play it on a PC or on an iDevice doesn't matter to me, because that's literally all I want it for. And Ultraviolet doesn't do that as well as iTunes does, at least not right now.
So from my perspective, when a new thing comes along its like "Okay, well, will this new thing let me do the same thing the old thing did?" The answer, right now, is "Kinda." But not in a better way. Just in a different way.
And screw that. If it was legitimately better, I'd be all for it. But I don't think it is in general, and especially not for me, so screw it, y'know? It's mere existence is only making it more difficult for me to keep all my digital copies in one place, as now I have to have a separate space over HERE for iTunes copies and a separate space over THERE (note - I'm talking metaphorical spaces, not literal. Cool it, Joshua :) ) for UV. So that's another minus, for me, in the UV column. On top of all the other minuses.
To me, Ultraviolet has yet to justify its own existence. But, to be clear, awesome things are awesome. We all want more awesome things in life. If Ultraviolet eventually becomes awesome, I'll be mooooore than happy to jump on board. Because, as I said, I like awesome things. But right now, I just don't think it is.
EDIT:
And also, I just want to add that ultimately I don't really care. I mean, I guess I do, but if Ultraviolet stays the exact same way it is right now and "wins" it won't really effect me. Because in the end, this is an argument about which is the best way to use as like my fourth favorite way to do something, ha.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a distraction. It was designed as a mechanism to kill the influence that Apple had gotten. And you know what? I am ok with that. I felt the same way when it became clear that via Amazon was going to be the only store in town for books, and that is simply too much power in one company's hands.
But the way that they have implemented it has been botched from the start and so anti-consumer that it isn't worth merit. You are actively hurting consumers by supporting Ultraviolet, same as if you had been pro-DIVX. Perhaps worse.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
It's a distraction. It was designed as a mechanism to kill the influence that Apple had gotten. And you know what? I am ok with that. I felt the same way when it became clear that via Amazon was going to be the only store in town for books, and that is simply too much power in one company's hands.
But the way that they have implemented it has been botched from the start and so anti-consumer that it isn't worth merit. You are actively hurting consumers by supporting Ultraviolet, same as if you had been pro-DIVX. Perhaps worse.
See. I think the opposite. As far as Apple goes I think a closed walled garden approach is anti consumer also this seems pretty anti consumer too on Apples part for anyone that does business with them.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3298824/apple-ios-device-udid-spyware-privacy
I think security and privacy is an issue with many of these companies. Come to ink of it I really don't want anyone to know what and how many time I watch something.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Um you realize that is EXACTLY what UV is doing, right? And they are marketing that data too. And by definition the whole coalition gets all of your viewing habits shared within them, not just the storefront...

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Um you realize that is EXACTLY what UV is doing, right? And they are marketing that data too. And by definition the whole coalition gets all of your viewing habits shared within them, not just the storefront...
Yes both UV and Apple do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks