amazonomics

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
There was a time not so long ago... When I could go to amazon.com and buy a book, a paperback edition (probably "trade" size), used from a third-party seller, for, say a buck, and get it shipped to me for whatever the shipping charge used to be -- didn't make much diff because the cost of the book was a buck and whatever shipping charge was put on top of that made the used paperback cost, what?, $4? I'll pay $4 for a used paperback book I want.

But today I see that paperback editions of books are being sold for three, four, five or more dollars, used, from amazon third-party sellers. Add today's $3.50 per title shipping charge and all of a sudden I'm paying $8-$10 for a used paperback book.

Is anyone else peeved by this?

Any alternatives?

Am I just picking the wrong books?

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I didn't even go for the easy rant, about the shipping charge.

Why am I being charged $3.50 when the thing usually arrives "media mail" and the postage sticker on the envelope usually says, "$1.18"?

Can I get half my shipping charge back? That would help!

MC

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I believe Amazon Marketplace sellers are paid a flat fee of $3.50 per shipped title, regardless of weight and shipping distance. This is also part of how they can afford to sell $1 books: often the shipping fee subsidizes their very low profit. But it also means a heavy book shipped cross country could cost the full $3.50.

As for why the prices of the books themselves have gone up: must be the books you're buying.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon doesn't control 3rd party shipping or pricing. The store just pays Amazon to use it as a storefront (flat rate + percentage per sale).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'd look to see if there were any used book stores in your area. We've had quite a few of them open for business over the last couple of years. My wife goes to one of them just about every week, and most books are half their original list price or lower.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Support local stores . Stop with this internet nonsense. Everyone wants everything cheap and yesterday.

Some times ya gotta be willing to pay what something may actually be worth. Granted it is worth nothing if no one buys it though......
Ah, it's late and I'm ranting a bit........

That said, if you have no stores left in your area, then it is off to the internet you must go. But please realise that folks need to make a bit of profit from selling things, even if it is made in the S&H That's shipping AND HANDLING . Folks should get paid for their time, that's the "Handling" part.

I'll likely go internet for some HD DVD releases because I cannot find them localy and I looked.
Still some pricing is weird out there in the stores. Superman Returns HD- DVD: I saw it from $34.99 to $19.99. THe cheaper one was sold out at Wally World, and the expensive one sat in quantity at BB. Target had the BR version at $29.99.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've sold a couple of books and CDs using Amazon marketplace.. The CDs can get shipped for First Class cheaper than media mail, but some of the larger books are media mail. I think it really depends on the book too, some of the more popular books can be found for $1 while some of the less popular ones are pricey when you factor shipping in.

Jay

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
There's always ebay. Granted, you still have to pay attention to shipping costs, but if you set up your viewing preferences you can see these when the list of items shows up. In most cases you can actually see what you are buying as well. It's sometimes worth buying a collection of 4-5 books if the one you want still winds up cheaper than buying individually. You can also set up your search preferences to inform you when a title you're interested in is listed.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockfitfitness