1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon will ban sales of Apple TV & Google Chromecast

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by satam55, Oct 1, 2015.

1. huskerbear@frontier.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Think of it like itunes, if they offered a subscription service using a rotating portion of their content.

2. And all of this is why, as a previous fan and cheerleader of digital media, I feel myself going back to what I can hold in my hands...

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yes I can. It's not like you have to decouple prime titles and your individual purchases. Either your account has access to something or you do not. You don't need to include the store or a subscription in app to do that.

This isn't rocket science, it's not a technical issue, it's a political and pride issue.

4. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Just lucky everybody agreed on a universal format for our discs or we would need a half a dozen players to play them all,....like digital is now.^^^

Patrick Donahue likes this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yeah, that's exactly why I was a little late to the party on Blu-ray. I didn't want any part of a system where if you wanted movies by one studio you needed one kind of player, and then a different player for a different studio.

I have Amazon Prime for the shipping, but I almost never use their video service because it's not carried on my primary device (an Oppo that can stream Netflix and Vudu) or the backup device (Apple TV, which I had before the Oppo). If either of those devices carried Amazon I'd probably use it more. My fiancé has a PS3 that will do Amazon but with the other two devices already almost always on and the PS3 rarely in use, it's usually not worth the effort.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Raul Marquez likes this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Sam, not sure if you're asking me specifically, but I do.

If there's a specific movie I'm looking to rent for streaming, first I check (usually on my computer or phone) if it's available on Netflix or as a free Prime stream. But if it's not and I have to pay for a rental, I just do that through Vudu since right now that's the quickest/easiest thing to access on my home theater. Granted, Amazon would take all of two or three extra minutes to boot up the PS3, but why bother? In terms of rentals it's usually the same selection at the same price as Vudu.

8. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    I suppose if this is all just Amazon being petty, we will surely see other storefronts like Vudu, Cinemanow, M-go- , Flixster, Google play etc. show up on Apple tv. We are all still guessing at this point. stay tuned...

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yes.

Amazon Prime streaming works just fine on my iPad. Amazon Kindle works just fine on my iPhone. Audible (Amazon owned) works just fine on my iPhone. None have purchasing access. I use the Amazon website for that.

Amazon not having their apps on the AppleTV is to all appearances is Amazon throwing their weight around to the disservice of their customers.

Raul Marquez and Sam Posten like this.
  10. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Again, we are all guessing. I think Amazon looks at streaming players designed to hook directly to your TV differently than apps for mobile devices. I think this is where they drew the line. Would it be great for their Apple TV using customers, if they at least put a neutered watch only app on Apple TV, you bet. But, like many like to point out, it's always about the money, and they want to have you renting and purchasing from their movie library.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Well with this strategy
    [​IMG]

12. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Isn't this exactly what Apple does though?

13. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    How about if Amazon agrees to put a full app on Apple tv and in return Apple puts their full app on the fire TV.....fair?

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Of course. Here's the difference: Apple has the installed base to pull it off. Nobody is calling for iTunes on Amazon Fire. There's a very vocal minority of people calling for Apple to make iTunes for Android which I sympathize with and would take advantage of were it to be available, but don't ever see happening. Tho I -could- see a web based iTunes happening were the web not such a hive of scum and villainy.

Apple also has the advantage of being the first mover in the space, with the iTunes store beating Fire to market by 10+ years....

Finally Apple isn't trying to sell everything to everyone, they are focused on media and hardware.

15. Apple has already announced an Android version of Apple Music ("this fall") so hopefully these walled gardens are starting to form cracks...

To be fair to Apple too, I think they've been very good about having competitors services on their devices. Amazon Kindle, Spotify, Pandora, Google apps, Microsoft apps. The only thing that's been left out is Apple TV but that App Store is literally hours old so I'm waiting to judge on that...

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah but the Music heritage stems from the Beats acquisition, which was cross platform. I hope it's indicative of a wider distribution of apps to competitors services but I don't think we can make that leap just yet. I'd prefer web based services which could be used from any device but I prefer the advantages that native apps provide and recognize that Apps are what Apple is pushing in the broad sense.

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  18. Another article I read quoted Apple as saying "all are welcome" and that "Amazon has never submitted an app to us"

19. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike

Your right, itunes has been around longer than everybody. It was genius they came up with and people flocked to them and rightly so. Thing is though, the landscape has changed dramatically since then yet Apple is still playing this like they are the only game in town. Digital movies is still a very new thing. Most people don't have a clue or know very little about it, but that is the direction we are headed.

Millions of these streaming boxes are yet to be sold to people going digital, most people haven't bought one yet. What are there, a dozen different streaming boxes?, but only one has itunes. Not a big deal now, since it was all itunes not that long ago. There is enough Apple core "fans" to keep that going but for how long? Apple TV use to be the best selling box, heck they sell on name alone but last time I checked they were down to 4rth, behind the fire TV. If I was Amazon and Apple was beating their chest like you are, I would tell them where they could go too.

20. satam55

satam55 Stunt Coordinator

Ike
    I sorta agree. Amazon Prime guarantees that Amazon Video will remain the #1 non-iTunes VOD service to buy/rent movies & TV shows