What's new

Amazon: "Usually ships within 3 to 6 week" (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Has anyone had any luck ordering an item from Amazon that is listed as "Usually ships within 3 to 6 week?" I've always been reluctant to order something with that delivery window, because I always figured it was a euphemism for "we don't have it and won't be able to get it, so forget it."

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I once ordered something that said 3 to 6 weeks on amazon, 3 months passed and they never sent it. So i went and cancelled it.

DougR

Second Unit
I've ordered a few things from them,and had the package within a week and a half ( with that above time frame).Think sometimes their just covering their Butt not knowing how much Inventory is available?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've had pretty good luck with Amazon; they tend to ship as they say, even to the point of shiping things separately when I didn't pay for that service.

During the most recent Christmas season I notice a little more of them advertising things that thy didn't actually have; not maliciously, sort of as if their inventory tracking wasn't keeping up with their sales.

In one particular case I ordered a new product (iKaraoke) which they said they had in stock. After it didn't ship for three weeks they sent me an email saying it wouldn't be available for some time, "was that okay". I said yes, and it came right after Christmas.

Make what you can of my ramble!

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I made an order back on 10/28 for 4 DVD's and 3 paperback books. They said 3-4 weeks for one item but since I wanted it all in one shipment, I was willing to wait.
Waited and waited....
The first week of December, I got the 'still not able to ship, are you willing to wait' email. Said sure. I was moving and had changed my address at amazon.com. Also put a stop all mail delivery at my old place for 2 days before and 4 days after the move to make sure nothing got accidently left in the mailbox. So not shipping was a good thing at the time.
On 12/23, I got 2 of the DVD's. On 12/27, I got 2 of the books. And on 1/2, I got the last 2 DVD's. Still waiting on the last book but I know that comes over from the UK so I get the feeling that it's delayed at that end. And before anyone asks, the company will tell you to order their items from amazon.com if you put in a US address.
Amazon.com is required under Mail Fraud Requirements to notify the buyer if the item is not going to be delivered in a timely manner - I believe the seller has to specify the timetable and if they don't make it, they have to tell you: approximate new delivery date and give you the option to cancel. So if they say 3-4 weeks, once 28 days have passed and they can not put it in the mail, they have to tell you. If they say 3-6 weeks, once 42 days have passed.
Of course, someone who works in the shipping industry or a company that does a lot of mail-order business should know a lot more.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hmm. Well, I guess having an order in gets the ball rolling--it's backordered material which they might not even bother to order if someone didn't actively request it. The weird thing is, the item is not available directly from Amazon. It's available from Amazon.com on the Amazon Marketplace page. There are other sellers on the same page who claim to have it, but they have lousy feedback. The most common complaint seems to be, "Claimed to have something they did not."

Edit: actually, you can put it directly in your cart from the product page. I guess they always list their own on the Marketplace page, and I just never had reason to look before.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've utilized some of there 'free shipping' where they state some unreasonably length of wait, only to have it arrive within a week so it sounds like it is just wording to cover their butt. I've bought some items from the marketplace but so far have faired well with it. I've sold some stuff via the marketplace too..

Jay

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You have to know what you're ordering. For example, an OOP DVD is not going to be delivered in 3-6 weeks. A Nintendo Wii or PS3 will be delivered in that timeframe...

Marianne

Supporting Actor

I've found the same thing - when you specify free shipping they quote a longer shipping time - but the stuff usually arrives within a week (if it was in stock).

I think they quote the longer shipping time to get you to change your mind and pay for "faster" shipping! Don't do it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It's an OOP CD. Amazon had a copy in stock last week, so I ordered something else instead (another OOP CD, from a Marketplace seller). I went back to get the other one, and it had been moved to the "3 to 6 week" designation. As I said above, there are three Marketplace sellers who say they have it in hand right now for immediate shipping, but they all have horrible feedback. I guess I'll wait for eBay until their estimated window of delivery passes (early February) and then try one of these other guys.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yikes. Amazon's estimate has changed to "4 to 6 weeks." It's looking more and more like I ought to risk the Marketplace guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks