What's new

Amazon Shipped My GODFATHER on the release date, WTF! (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I don't understand the anxiety and impatience related in this thread. While, I'd enjoy viewing the movies this weekend, they will be just as much fun next weekend. I've got so many others to view, some still in shrink wrap.
The price was better than decent (with the ubiquitous coupons). Amazon shipped via USPS (a change from UPS) on October 8. The package is probably being delivered today to my business address, so by next week, I'll have the movie.
Amazon and Deep Discount both deliver after street date. The delay is offset by reduced prices. A month from now, the delay won't be remembered, but the savings will be.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
My Godfather set shipped yesterday with the Phantom Menace from Amazon. I had to wait an extra week but considering it is costing me less money purchasing it from them using various discounts makes it worth the wait. I don't understand the big rush to be the first to have the latest DVD releases. Maybe it is more of an ego thing with some people being able to say they got theirs first.
------------------
My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
A big company like Amazon has no excuse for not getting these out early. They have enough buying power to get them out the door sooner.
Mine Amazon order is stuck in UPS hell. It shipped last Tues and has been stuck in Maryland (last scan) for the past 4 days. They updated the status twice since Tues. Once to change the delivery status to "rescheduled to 10/12" (friday) and the 2nd time (on 10/13) to say "rescheduled to 10/11". What a crock. Who knows where my damn box set is.. I hate ups.
[Edited last by Jim Benard on October 13, 2001 at 01:06 PM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mine Amazon order is stuck in UPS hell. It shipped last Tues and has been stuck in Maryland (last scan) for the past 4 days. They updated the status twice since Tues. Once to change the delivery status to "rescheduled to 10/12" (friday) and the 2nd time (on 10/13) to say "rescheduled to 10/11". What a crock. Who knows where my damn box set is.. I hate ups.
If you ordered it with Next Day or 2nd Day delivery, write a letter to the Attorney General's office for breach of contract :)
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

BrianP

Supporting Actor
A big company like Amazon has no excuse for not getting these out early. They have enough buying power to get them out the door sooner.
I found the best way to get around the UPS problem is having a Post Office Box for your shipping address. Forces Amazon to ship by mail since UPS will not deliver to PO Boxes. I always get orders faster by mail than UPS.
------------------
My Movie Collection on DVD and Laser Disc

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Amazon shipped mine on the 8th. I got it on thursday the 11th. It wasn't a big deal to me to wait a couple days after street date, but if it hadn't come by this weekend then I would have been pissed. They should ship about two days before street. This way it will get to people as soon as possible after the street date.
Oh well, no big deal
Marshall

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I stopped using Amazon for that exact reason. Things would sit in 'shipping soon...' for weeks. I got lame excuses like 'well, we were trying to save on shipping' even when I said ship seperately.
I second any DVDEmpire recommendation, usually receive them on the monday before release & shipping is a third what amazon charges ($6.99 a disc vs. $2.50 to $2.90)
------------------
My DVD Collection

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Unless I have a really sweet coupon, I don't order from Amazon. First of all, most of their prices are awful. Secondly, they never get the movie to me on street date.
Deep Discount DVD has become my one-stop shop for preorders that I have to have right away... First of all, their prices are usually very good. Secondly, I have always gotten all of my preorders from them by Friday before street date! I have had Episode I since Wednesday, thanks to a careless employee leaving a pallet of them out at X-mart. However, I also received my preorder copy from DDD on Friday...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
What I can't seem to understand is why is it so important that titles be available before the street date. While I am not privy to the mind of the studios, there must be a reason for a street date. If a company ships an item on the street date, they may be honoring a contract with the supplier.
I for one have been very satisfied with Amazon.com. As a member of the US Navy stationed overseas I have only two reliable sources of region 1 DVDs: The Navy Exchange and on-line retailers so I am accustomed to waiting for a title. Amazon has shipped all their products to me priority mail at no additional expense to me. Considering that it travels via the APO/FPO system, I am amazed how fast I usually get a shipment. When shipping and handling are factored in, I usually pay about the same between the Exchange and Amazon. Amazon usually wins when I place a large order, especially for advance orders and show a willingness to wait for orders to be complete.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
You are all lucky compared to me. My Godfather set from Amazon still has not even SHIPPED. I ordered it in June.
They constistently do this to me because, I believe, I get most of my DVDs from them free with Gift Certificates. They still have not responded to my email inquiries. I'd quit using them except that the price is right.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
You are all lucky compared to me. My Godfather set from Amazon still has not even SHIPPED. I ordered it in June.
They constistently do this to me because, I believe, I get most of my DVDs from them free with Gift Certificates. They still have not responded to my email inquiries. I'd quit using them except that the price is right.
I don't think the GC's are the reason.
I ordered my Godfather set in July, paid in full with Gift Certificates - and it shipped on the Friday before the release date (October 5th).
In fact, my last 40-50 orders with Amazon was paid entirely with GC's - and all of these have shipped no later than the release date.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
quote: What I can't seem to understand is why is it so important that titles be available before the street date.[/quote]
In most cases, you are correct... I don't care if titles arrive early or not. I just want them in my hands by street date. If a certain retailer has a history of getting movies to me before street date, then that is the retailer that I will most likely buy from. Having a movie before street date is the best guarantee that you will have the movie by street date :)
However, in the case of Star Wars, I waited exactly 1,050 days between buying my DVD player and getting my hands on a copy of Episode I at my local "X" Mart on the Wednesday before street date. That was 1,050 days of longing for a Star Wars movie to be released on DVD... I realize that the difference between 1,050 days and 1,056 days is miniscule. However, in the case of Star Wars, it was great to (quoting from another member) "have that sweet bastard in my hands!"
[Edited last by Carl Walker on October 14, 2001 at 07:36 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks