Amazon share the love!

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by chris_clem, Oct 25, 2003.

1. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Hi!

I was just buying a few dvds on Amazon.com and at the very end of my would-be purchase is something called their "share the love" program. I'm sure many of you have heard this but for those who haven't it's a discount scheme for reffering people who are willing to buy the same things you bought. (Confused? well um, head on over to amazon.com and they can explain it better than me![​IMG] )

Anyway, it dawned on my that our little community here usually purchases a lot of the same dvds so there is potential here for all of us to save a sh*tload on amazon.com! I put off my purchases for now to post this because I want anyone out there who is planning on buying the same stuff I am to "share the love" with me or vice versa (either way Myself and whoever here will BOTH save!)

Here's my latest list of would be purchases (All these dvds are cheapest(or very close to) on Amazon.com according to dvdpricesearch.com):

Married with Children - The Complete First Season
    Bowling for Columbine
    Roger & Me
    Finding Nemo
    The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition)

If anyone here plans on buying these dvds in the next few days (hours?) please "share the love" with me. All we need is to swap email adds and that's it, instant 10% savings! Perhaps this can be an ongoing within this community if the administrators would approve [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It is a cool thing Amazon does.

Chris, check out the Coupons and Bargains section, where posts like this go.

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Great idea, Chris! I, too, have no one to "share the love" with when I make purchases on Amazon. I think everyone here should list up to 10 titles they'd like to receive a "Share the Love" discount on -- post their e-mail addresses -- and then we can go from there.

I'd have given you the "Married... with Children" discount if I hadn't just cancelled my order after finding it at a B&M a few days before the street date.

Here's my list of titles I'd like to receive the discount on:

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show (Season 2)
    2. The King of Queens (Season 1)
    3. Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Volume 1)
    4. Battlestar Galactica (Complete Series)

Most everything else I know I won't be able to wait for to show up in the mail. I generally have to have most items on release day. [​IMG]

my e-mail: [email protected]

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Actually, as much as I hate to refer people away from HTF, www.dvdtalk.com has an OUTSTANDING share the love section in their bargins forum. I save money all the time using their system. Don't get me wrong, HTF still rules, though.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Adam's right. DVDTalk's STL stuff is fantastic. I've been using it for over 2 years. At this point, I'm on so many people's lists that I don't even have to beg for love on any purchases, I just get them automatically.

6. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit

I'm also registered with DVD Talk's STL program, but I have a question for you guys.

Do you need to use the same e-mail address at DVD Talk and with Amazon to get your discount?

Thanks,

Jean Paul

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

8. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

9. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up on dvdtalk's share the love program.[​IMG] I'll try using thier system since it seems setup already. It would be cool if HTF had the same program though![​IMG]

Message I got Upon regestering at their program...

10. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

To the people who are already using dvdtalk's share the love program:

How long does it usually take for someone to send you love on a movie you have requested for? Also, if I purchase a movie and send the love to all those who are requesting it and they all end up buying do I get a cumulative discount on Amazon?!?! (i.e. I buy Two Towers and send love to the 30+ people requesting it and they all end up buying do I get the cash equivalent of 10% OF EACH OF THEIR PURCHASES?!?!?) That would be pretty amazing and a great incentive to purchase first![​IMG]

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

12. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I've asked for love over at the DVD Talk thread a handful of times, basically for all the Buffy and Angel sets and a couple of others.

I usually get a STL e-mail from Amazon within a couple of days of posting, and then I'll usually get three or four more over the next week or so. It really does work very well.

Oh, and it's nice to reciprocate in kind. Whenever I buy any DVD from Amazon, I'll check the DVD Talk thread to see who's requesting it, and pass on some love myself.

13. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I never even knew the credit system worked...I've shared the love with people who I know have bought the items, and never received any credit.

Go figure.

15. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I have received several credits, however, there are other times, like you, I have not. I wrote to Amazon.com and they said they are still working on refining the system.

16. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Also be aware that Amazon has many glitches with their website software that may cause changes to an order total. And they will not inform the customer when these problems develop.

Over the past couple of years no other website or B&M store has tried to overcharge me more than Amazon. I have had many orders lose coupons, STL discounts, and gift certificates because of various glitches. However I always get a refund because I keep thorough records of all my purchases, and frequently monitor my orders before and after they ship.

Here are a few threads of recent site problems to be aware of if you recently purchased from them, or plan to in the near future. A few of them are share the love related.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=325639

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=322600

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=312318

17. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Someone finally "shared the love with me" and sent me a 10%discount on the LOTR:2 Towers 4 disc ed. [​IMG] However, due to the new price falling below their $25 free shipping threshold I decided to add Bowling for Columbine to my order which I have not yet recieved any "love" for.

When I checked out my items I expected to be given the option to "share the love" on my items (or at least on the Bowling DVD which was not discounted)but I was not. I had prepared to send an email out to the people requesting love for the Bowling DVD but now it seems I can't. Did I do something wrong or this normal?[​IMG]

18. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

19. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit