What's new

Amazon & Sales Tax in Arkansas (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There was a bill going thru the Arkansas legislature requiring online out-of-state merchants to collect sales taxes. Amazon announced it would begin doing so March 1. It was either today or yesterday the bill failed in committee.

I'm hoping Amazon will reverse course and not collect the sales taxes for purely selfish motives. I suspect they will not change there minds. Damn.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Unlikely that they'll reconsider. Amazon started collecting sales tax from their Vermont customers on Feb 1 even though there's nothing compelling them to do so. Amazon just announced around New Year's that they would start collecting it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Oklahoma started collecting their Amazon tax last week. Yay! :(

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For better or worse, the eventual collecting of Sales Tax everywhere by Amazon seems inevitable. In Canada, it has reached the point that even the Amazon Canada third party merchants are collecting Sales Tax. No more free lunches for we Canucks.

CHEERS! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Unlikely that they'll reconsider. Amazon started collecting sales tax from their Vermont customers on Feb 1 even though there's nothing compelling them to do so. Amazon just announced around New Year's that they would start collecting it.

Oklahoma started collecting their Amazon tax last week. Yay! :(
Hiss! Boo! Hiss!

Not you guys, just the situation. :(:(

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
It was odd when it started here in Alabama. I still use Amazon for a lot of things, like dog food, etc... because it is cheaper. But with electronics and movies I find myself using Best Buy now, or a retailer like Value Electronics who has no tax.

Reason being is, and not sure if it is because BBuy has in town stores, but the internet tax on an Amazon purchase is 8%, where BBuy is 5%. So I can get a blu-ray for the same base price, and less tax, 2 day shipped for free from BBuy.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Texans have been paying this tax for awhile. I believe it's because we have a distribution facility. Fun stuff.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Like Scott said, third-party sales still seem to be tax free for the moment, though the price may be higher and/or you may have to pay shipping.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW, just because Amazon hadn't been collecting that tax doesn't mean that you haven't been required to pay it. There's a part in the tax forms each year to declare out of state purchases and pay the appropriate tax on them there. It's far easier for Amazon to collect it directly than to try to figure out what you bought from who and where a year later.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For complete list currently:
Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

Alabama
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Iowa
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They've been collecting in NY for several years. And they collect in VA too.

Turns out, life goes on.

Yeah, Amazon has been collecting it from me for at least a decade.

I find it way easier to pay up front than to try to figure out what I owe at the end of the year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd forgotten about the self-reporting tax form option. That was a farce.

Yeah. I got over my outrage some years ago.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
FWIW, just because Amazon hadn't been collecting that tax doesn't mean that you haven't been required to pay it. There's a part in the tax forms each year to declare out of state purchases and pay the appropriate tax on them there. It's far easier for Amazon to collect it directly than to try to figure out what you bought from who and where a year later.

Yes, our state calls it a use tax and you could opt to calculate it out if you thought it would be below the single amount selected by the state or you could just pay the flat rate. The flat rate worked out great for me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

As it turns out, most of the country doesn't self-report out of state sales taxes for online purchases and the IRS doesn't enforce the rule either.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With the nearly dozen new states adding mandatory collection of Amazon sales tax since Jan 1 the tax situation looks like 98% of the US population are now paying local B&M and Amazon the same state tax rate. Local taxes still lead to some disparity though it seems to go both ways with some places apparently paying more tax at Amazon than at their usual B&M.

All the 5 remaining hold out states have 2M or less population with New Mexico at 2M being the largest individual

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks