What's new

Amazon Prime- Shipping (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert. You are right they gave forewarning and in my case, I can continue should I chose not to cancel Prime, at $79 this year. It was just odd timing to sign up finally and do the trial, then they tell me, by the way, next year the price goes up! I do have a year as you said. Do they tell you how much you saved by using Prime?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That depends on how much stuff you order, and whether you always have things delivered at the 2-day shipping rate.

Before I got prime, I mainly just bought up to the $25 level for the free ground shipping, and didn't give it another thought. But then I got a Roku, and thought that getting Prime and a video streaming service would justify the costs, but I rarely watch much on Prime streaming, so I guess it's been sort of a bust for me, but at least now I don't have to bundle my order to reach $25 to order lower cost orders now with Prime.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I can renew at $79 in September and then it kicks up to $99 next September. Given the piss poor experience I have had with them in the last year or so, I'm not even sure I'll renew at $79. I absolutely won't pay $99.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
My renewal is not up until December, so I have time to decide, too. I will probably renew, though, as I buy enough that it will probably still be worth it to me -- especially with the free shipping minimum being increased from $25 to $35.
I used Prime several years ago, but when they automatically renewed me without asking, kind of annoyed me so I dropped them.

We've still got several brick & mortar stores, all privately owned that will special-order things, get films on release date, etc. and since I have to pay tax living in Washington state, it's really a bargain, especially now that Amazon is raising their rates. A well run business can beat their prices,

Even my local Safeway beat Amazon's price on Gravity when I got it last week.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got notice of the Prime increase: up to $99, but they just renewed mine at $79 so I am good until 03/12/15!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have been happy with Prime and it has worked out well for me. A while back there was a cast iron Dutch oven that I wanted which was, obviously, extremely heavy. A "kitchen enthusiast" website had it for a reasonable price, but the shipping was $35! Amazon had it for $8 more, but with Prime the shipping was free. So, essentially, I got the shipping for $8 instead of $35. I did find the same item at Williams-Sonoma, the only B&M store that carried it, but it was over twice amazon's price.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't have a problem with the increase in price based on the amount I order from Amazon. One off movies, that I would be hit with shipping for, cost nothing in shipping. Orders are where they need to be in 2 days (especially at Christmas...what a lifesaver!).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
F'ed over by Prime again. Ordered:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FJ89UO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1With the one button 'get it Thursday' button yesterday.Got shipping info today: will arrive Tuesday the 15th. WTF???Call em up. Whoops, nothing we can do about it. So sorry.F you Amazon
I can't speak to your situation but I've had times when the shipping info says that it will be late and it still ends up a day arriving on time/a day earlier than the late estimate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ordered The Hobbit: Desolation of the Smaug from Amazon late Sunday night (with Prime) and was told it would arrive Thursday (which was fine with me),

Instead, it showed up on Tuesday (release day).

Sam: If you don't cancel the order, I bet it might get their sooner. Got a need for some immediate LFE? :biggrin:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nah it's principle not need.Here's the thing, and I had NO idea. Apparently Prime doesn't mean you are guaranteed 2 day deliveries. WAT?Some Prime items just mean free delivery without the 2 day deal. How did I not know this? Researching this still.For these items, your 'get it by this date' that shows on your one click button is bullshit and just plain wrong. This is a bug. Amazon won't do anything about it.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I work in ecommerce and have done some sites for retail clients that use Ebay Enterprise (formerly GSI) for their order fulfillment. Place order timing can sometimes affect the delivery date due to timing on all the backoffice data handoffs, but I don't think I've ever seen a two-day delivery turn into a week, unless there were inventory issues... in which case you shouldn't have received shipping notification the next day, as those shouldn't go out until the product has actually been prepared for shipping.

I've had some quirks with Amazon Prime shipping, but nothing to complain about. I separately ordered two Blu-Ray disks about 30 minutes apart. The delivery dates I received were for a Tuesday and a Wednesday. They both ended up arriving at my house on Tuesday... in the same package.

As for the price increase, it's like my cell phone and my internet connection. Business expense, and there's tax savings involved, so that makes the overall expense smaller.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This happens plenty to me, especially when I calculate two days vs. Amazon calculating two days. Ordered some CD's this past Friday morning (like 6:30 am). Two days would have been Monday morning-yeah, I know Saturday isn't a business day-and the shipping confirm said Tuesday. Guess when they both showed up?

Monday.

Go figure.

I'll get the items when I get them. I check the shipping confirms to see when I need to be on the lookout. But there's barely anything I order I need immediately. If I'm in that position, I didn't plan well enough.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's the thing tho: If it says 'One button get it thursday' that to me is a CONTRACT that they will get it to you thursday.

Not 'maybe it will show up thursday' but 'we are committed to getting this to you thursday'.

Anything less is fraud IMO.

(note: Use of the terms Contract and fraud in their generic sense. I am not a lawyer. YMMV. Offer not void in Canada or where prohibited. Do not pull tags from mattress)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd agree with that, Sam, but I also try not to take things too literally. I have noticed a lot of issues with shipping (mostly on the HTF) since they started using different delivery options (USPS vs. UPS).

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Sam Posten said:
Here's the thing tho: If it says 'One button get it thursday' that to me is a CONTRACT that they will get it to you thursday.

Not 'maybe it will show up thursday' but 'we are committed to getting this to you thursday'.

Anything less is fraud IMO.

(note: Use of the terms Contract and fraud in their generic sense. I am not a lawyer. YMMV. Offer not void in Canada or where prohibited. Do not pull tags from mattress)
I've had to program estimated shipping dates into websites before. I would hope that if I accidentally introduced a bug that miscalculated the date and it somehow made it through the QA process it would not be deemed fraud. Bugs happen, even on ecommerce sites.And keep in mind that anything shown before the order has been placed, packaged and a shipping label generated and the package put in the hands of the shipper is just going to be an estimate anyway. There are too many factors that could cause a delay. And even then, the shipper only provides an estimated delivery date.

Oh, and one other thing. Amazon has multiple distribution facilities. It's possible the one capable of delivering it by the date on the website ran out of inventory and was unable to ship it to you, so it had to come from a different distribution house. Just speculating, but I've seen it happen.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I dropped Prime earlier this year but for a while after I was still receiving packages 2 days after they shipped. Even got one on Monday after it shipped the day before! Besides the automatic billing thing, which irks me, I was buying a lot less directly from Amazon mainly because of their high prices. Most of the stuff I buy are old exploitation films from companies like Scorpion Releasing and Severin and those are now close to $30 on Amazon so I get them from Diabolik for up to $10 less. Marketplace sellers on Amazon sometimes have much better deals but they don't ship Prime so I found much less use for the premium service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks