What's new

Amazon Prime Day: July 11, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No one excited for Prime Day this year? In years past, we've had a thread up and running several days ahead. Didn't find one today anywhere, so I hope this isn't a dupe.

I don't see too much exciting in the media sections. There's a wide selection of 10% off blu and DVD, including several pages of 4K titles. The complete series of "Dark Shadows" on DVD was on a Lightning Deal for around $269.

I picked up a British comedy I've been watching for a year or so, "Mrs. Brown's Boys," that started around $90 and was on sale today for $32.

I also picked up a new projector, Optoma HD29 Darbee, for $549. I've been watching/considering the Optoma HD142X, but the HD29 is the current year model with good reviews and about the same price with the Lightning Deal discount (list price $1,599; Amazon everyday price $799).

It's been an expensive week for hardware, though I feel I've got pretty good deals on both this projector and my new Yamaha RX-V681 AVR for $287. Hopefully that's all I need to upgrade for the moment, except to grab some 3D glasses for the new projector and a new HDMI cable.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I shopped everywhere but Prime Day. I ended up buying stuff directly from Kino, the B&N Criterion sale, and Amazon.de, but nothing on the US site on sale interested me.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Sorry but don't need a dinosaur shaped pasta spoon, or cheapo floating ice chest and any other random crap they are trying to pawn off to the diehard "Gotta buy it because it's cheap!!!" crowd.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For some reason I can never get into the Prime Day event myself. It seems unwieldy to me somehow to be shopping for random things.

I usually look at what's in my cart and find that the prices haven't budged.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yeah, no interest here. I assume some people find great deals on what they are looking for, but it's usually a "buy it because it's cheap" sale regardless of whether you need it or not.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I checked out the blu Ray deals this morning. It said fury road 3D $14.99, list 44.98, you save 68%. Then when I clicked on it, it gave me two choices, lightning deal 14.99 or regular price, 17.99. So I was really only going to save $3.00! I didn't bite and haven't checked back since.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For some reason I can never get into the Prime Day event myself. It seems unwieldy to me somehow to be shopping for random things.

I usually look at what's in my cart and find that the prices haven't budged.
I'm not sure about items in the cart, but I know items on my Wishlist haven't reflected any of the sales/specials. You have to actually look through the deals or click on the product link in your list to view the item's details screen to see if there are any discounts.

I haven't spent too much time looking around today. Scanned through the media and books and didn't find much that grabbed my interest. They did seem to have some good deals on 4K titles if anyone is looking for those. I believe the first John Wick would be something like $13.49 after the additional 10% discount at checkout.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acs...6e5-4b41-a304-5a06c7476487&pf_rd_i=9358911011

There was an article on one of the news feeds that said only about 6% of the deals offered are really "deals" compared to the everyday prices you can find at Amazon and elsewhere. It's more marketing mystique than anything.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Really good Prime Day deals tend to be focused on Amazon products and services. The $90 Echo deal for example.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ouch. Some of the bigger busts of the day. No love for "The Hunt..." or Martian 4K:

upload_2017-7-11_17-4-15.png upload_2017-7-11_17-6-22.png

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nothing was of interest to me. In past years I think they would have a discount on anything from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and that's where I could scoop up a desired item for pretty cheap. But it looks like they didn't do that this year.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I, on the other hand went berserk.
Two mouses: mine seem to be wearing out and I need one now for my vacation
John Hughes Yearbook collection (I don't have any in blu and only weird science in DVD)
an 8" fire and an echo both at substantial savings. I know this is an argument that buying is really just spending money because of the "savings".
Jason Bourne $8 maybe
GoT s1-s6 blu $75 maybe
8 quart multicooker. I was already considering the 6 qt model 130 - 40

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... not much. But I did pick up a few BR sets as upgrades. The Jurassic Park 4 film Collection for $20, the Underworld 5 film Collection for $30, and the Predator 5 film collection for $17. There were a few of the WM price war titles that were eligible for the 10% off, notably the Criterion Collection Yojimbo & Sanjuro set for $29.08 before another 10% off.

I looked at a few other things but it was mostly their basic "junk sale," aka "What do we have too much of just taking up space in the warehouses?"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can't say I'm really pleased with the order fulfillment on this year's Prime day (or recently with Amazon in general). Several items I ordered last week on Prime Day have not yet even shipped. Not sure what's up with that, as one would think they'd have sufficient stock in the warehouse ready to ship for their "lightning deals".

I had one order that was promised delivery on 7/14, then delayed until 7/18, finally on 7/19 I emailed Amazon as they didn't even show it as having been received by USPS yet. They have supposedly re-sent it via one-day shipping and it should arrive today. Other items don't have delivery dates until August.

I placed another order for several items yesterday. Two day shipping should have it here tomorrow, but according to my order status it hasn't even left Amazon yet. So I presume that will be delayed, as well.

The 2-day shipping feature of Amazon Prime certainly isn't worth it lately, as few items seem to be actually arriving in that period. And I"m not sure the other features are worth the yearly membership cost.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Prime has missed so many of their "guaranteed delivery dates" to me this year that I think I've gotten five or six months of extensions so far this year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree something is definitely amiss in what used to be a near-never-miss thing: Amazon delivery estimates.

It's been so bad for me...I have tacked on a full year of Prime monthly extensions and they won't give me any more. I don't know if that'll change when I start to get deeper into the year...but if the slippage continues, I am seriously thinking of abandoning my Prime membership.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I agree something is definitely amiss in what used to be a near-never-miss thing: Amazon delivery estimates.

It's been so bad for me...I have tacked on a full year of Prime monthly extensions and they won't give me any more. I don't know if that'll change when I start to get deeper into the year...but if the slippage continues, I am seriously thinking of abandoning my Prime membership.

The problem is that they are now using USPS rather than UPS for most of their Prime shipments. UPS isn't perfect, but at least their tracking is close to 100% accurate. USPS tracking is very hit or miss. I have actually checked USPS tracking at the same time at both Amazon and the USPS website and have gotten more current info from Amazon.

The only advantage to USPS is that when a shipment is on time, I get it four or five hours earlier than UPS. UPS generally doesn't get to my house until late in the afternoon.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow, I'm not having any trouble at all with my Amazon deliveries, whether via USPS or UPS. I get 'em when promised 99% of the time. Amazon's own delivery service isn't quite as reliable - I'd say they miss 2 out of 10 dates. Sorry you folks are dealing with such poor service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks