1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon now offering discounts for not using Prime shipping

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jake Lipson, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I pass on almost every "slower shipping" offer they make. In principle, I'm not opposed, but they just don't offer me discounts on anything I'm ever gonna use. I'm not planning on using Prime Pantry or Amazon Fresh (and spending a monthly fee on it) when I have a 24/7 supermarket that's less than a five minute walk from my apartment. I don't buy shoes frequently enough (or even from Amazon at all) to be enticed by the discount on shoes that they offered me recently. Even the digital credits aren't really that exciting to me - although I can stream video from Amazon, and maybe this is just an issue with my devices rather than the service itself, but I find that Amazon's streaming video looks and sounds inferior on my setup compared to iTunes and Vudu. About the only thing of value Amazon could offer me is discounts to apply to the items I already purchase (namely, discs), and I understand the margin on those is so tight that that's not something they're likely to want to do.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I used to have the $1 towards a digital purchase but for awhile now it's been 5 or 6 dollars off Prime Pantry whatever that is.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just saw something for the first time with Amazon. My wife asked me to order her a new electric skillet, and I was offered the option of free one day pick-up from [email protected] That is a city just east of Ann Arbor and less than 30 minutes from our home, and appears to be on the campus of Eastern Michigan University. I did not know that Amazon was doing this in our area. I still picked the free two day shipping, though.

4. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    There were similar options offered at various "lockers" including gas stations ...

5. 25 Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    For me, I like the freedom of not having to meet a minimum shipping amount. This allows me to buy just one blu-ray or something before it goes off sale if I don't have other items to buy. My sister has her own Prime for the same reason. I do watch the streaming videos now and then, though I'm usually backlogged enough with my DVR.

I really dislike that many smaller items have become an "add-on item", which defeats the purpose.

Ultimately, I don't get nearly as many benefits as those on the mainland. I still think Prime is worthwhile. All in all, Amazon is one of the better retailers for me shipping-wise. Some stores absolutely won't ship here or have outrageous rates. For example, Target wouldn't even ship a blu-ray I wanted here (although I think it may be title-specific as I have ordered in the past). Macy's sticks on a shipping surcharge even if you meet the minimum for free shipping. At least Amazon has shipped heavy items like a cat tree (45 lbs.) or bookshelf speakers to me for free!! In comparison, accessories4less wants $135.00 shipping for bookshelf speakers. It made a recent speaker-search a bit difficult whereas those on the mainland could easily partake in free trials and returns.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Cinematographer

Jake Lipson
    What is frustration-free packaging?

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That package that requires a blowtorch to open, it's not that. It's simple to open and access the item.

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Cinematographer

Jake Lipson
    But what distinguishes it from regular packaging? I've never experienced this with Amazon before.

Malcolm R likes this.
  10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    It sometimes doesn't have the slick and glossy retail packaging.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Like you, I still had no idea what this was about. This link explains it a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?&ref=dp_ffp&node=5521637011

It sounds like they basically shove the unwrapped item in a plain, basic box rather than shipping it in the usual packaging that you might find in a retail store with lots of plastic clamshells, restraining ties, and cardboard that you have to destroy to access the item.

Jake Lipson likes this.