What's new

Amazon Instant Video comes to PS3 (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
D'oh. Just bought a Roku last month for this because the PS3 didn't have it.
So the next question is, will I be able to access my Amazon Cloud content?
*edit A user posted this vid of the interface on another forum. Looks better than the Roku interface:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My quick take on Amazon Instant Video on the PS3:
Video resolution is 720p, standard def content is upscaled.
Audio is 640 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1, but stereo or mono audio is only output to the left and right fronts.
Without making changes to the settings on the PS3, you won't get pro logic surround processing on your receiver.
The interface is a major improvement over what was offered on older Panasonic Blu-Ray players like the BD60.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tried it out last night and it wasn't bad. The interface is a bit sluggish, but I like it better than the Netflix app on PS3. Video quality is hard to pin down, as it is going to depend on what you watch IMO. I will have to compare a film that is on both NF and Amazon to see if I can tell a difference. I watched one episode of a show last night and the video quality was just average, so figuring it was 720p. Will give it a try tonight again.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I've been having buffering issues lately, with the Amazon App often telling me it is bandwidth issues. I'll run a Speedtest on my Android phone (on the same network) and get a minimum of 6mbps download speed. Called Amazon, they had no clue.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I compared the same movie back to back on both Netflix and Amazon and the PQ was noticeably better on Netflix. Can't say it is a bandwidth issue on my side, so either their quality is lower or they have higher traffic (not unexpected with the service being new).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, I installed the Amazon Instant Video App on my PS3 but whenever I try to run it, I get a username password... For what, from looking at Amazon's how-to it says I should be able to get some kind of 5 digit code to go register on the internet. Funny thing too is that when I go to Amazon, it says my PS3 is already registered!!! WTF?
The really stupid code is that I cant get past the username password... I tried my Netflix password.. doesn't work, I can't exit out of it. It disables the PS button, I have to do a soft-boot which is horrible coding practice... And it doesn't work..
jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.