What's new

Amazon Instant shutting down it's Offline Viewing App for purchased content (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
No, I meant, why would you think you "had" to buy it twice, under the current system?

P

Patrick Donahue

Ejanss said:
No, I meant, why would you think you "had" to buy it twice, under the current system?
Well, I don't think anyone feels they HAVE to do it, although I'll admit I did it once because it was a movie I was really excited about. I think it's just a flaw in the system of staggered release dates that would be nice to fix. Not needed though, no.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Patrick Donahue said:
From the consumers point of view - if they can get their digital copy 2-3 weeks early...

From Amazon's point of view - if it caused customers to pre-order from you instead of buying from Target on release day...

Why NOT do it?

Exactly! Thanks Patrick for clarifying my point in a polite and constructive manner!

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Walmart already has their instawatch service where you order the disc and the movie automatically shows up in your Vudu, in case anybody didn't know.

P

Patrick Donahue

Walmart already has their instawatch service where you order the disc and the movie automatically shows up in your Vudu, in case anybody didn't know.
Yes, but I think Josh was thinking in terms of getting the Digital HD with pre-orders as well which InstaWatch doesn't cover...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I didn't know about that, but I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't really have a Walmart near me, and I've already got Amazon's prime shipping, so I probably won't be doing much shopping on their website, but it's a great concept. If Walmart could make it work with Vudu, maybe Amazon can one day do the same with their service (or even better, perhaps they'll join UV one day).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guys the whole point of early release windows IS BECAUSE IT'S RETAIL. The B&M guys have limited space and high consumer visibility by putting it on shelves. It's a SPIFF to them to put the stupid cardboard code sell sheets on their shelves and give them some parity with the digital store fronts day and date.

They then get to be on parity with the internet stores on THAT sale date too with physical copies. Some more fair than others :/

Is it fair to consumers? No. But it is what it is. You don't matter to the studios as much as the stores do.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I completely understand the point of it - I just don't have to like it. As part of the Amazon discussion I was thinking of ways that Amazon could be a gamechanger in how I make my purchase choices and convenience. Amazon already provides coupons for free rentals of a lot of catalog Blu-rays when you purchase them so you can watch instantly while you wait for the shipment to arrive. I would imagine as brick and mortar stores (at least for home video) continue to decline, maybe one day Amazon will have the negotiating power to tie pre-orders of the physical item to early access of the digital copy, for items that get an earlier digital-only release. If something like that is done, though, I think it will be Amazon driving the change, rather than the studios asking for it. Since Amazon's got a big foot in the physical world, as well as a growing digital presence, they might in a position to push the studios towards that. Or at least a better position than anyone else. They're already going to be selling the digital-only version three weeks early, just like Vudu or iTunes or any of the other services, so they're already in that market and offering that product.

Using again "Interstellar" as an example, the digital release has been out for a week on various digital services (including Amazon's streaming service), and it's still two more weeks away from a physical release. I'm definitely buying the Blu-ray. I'll probably get it from Amazon, but it's not a guarantee - maybe Target will have it for less, maybe Best Buy will have an exclusive cover I like more, etc., etc. But if Amazon had the ability to say "Pre-order from us, and we will give you the perk of getting the included digital copy at the same time as digital-only sales begin, and then send you the disc on street date", I would buy from them, period. No more Target or Best Buy, no more stores, just Amazon. I really enjoyed the movie and I would love to see it again, and I'd be happy to see it sooner than later. I'm not really interested in paying for only a digital copy without a physical one. But I would commit to giving Amazon my money now if they were able to develop a system like that. I can see why that would be threatening to other retailers. But I think that would be a great thing for Amazon to do, and their business is already set up to handle that kind of transaction.

So in my mind, it's not whether or not the studios love me more than they love the retailers - it's whether Amazon might take advantage of their position to get a perk for their customers that other retailers aren't necessarily in a position to offer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But that's what I'm saying: It's not up to Amazon. It's this way to help the B&Ms retail relevance AGAINST Amazon.
I think I might have missed something along the way, and I'm sorry if I did - but how does iTunes getting to sell "Interstellar" digitally three weeks before the Blu-ray help a brick and mortar? I thought the idea was for studios to encourage people to buy digitally (at a higher profit for them) today, rather than people waiting three extra weeks for a physical sale which is less profitable than a digital sale, or a rental which is even less profitable. From that point of view, the early digital sales would seem to harm a real brick & mortar store.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ejanss said:
Okay, I'm still not following the logic, if it's a disk that might have the UV included--Why not just be a little patient till it arrives, and then redeem the code?

If the rationale is "But I want it nowwww!", that's the indulgence you pay for.
Im hearing from friends in the industry that eventually when you purchase physical media you will be registered for your UV copy at the point of purchase like walmart is now doing instead of them placing a paper code in the box. This will keep people from reselling or giving out another copy via UV. But then again couldnt the same thing happen with a dvd/blu combo pack?

We may start seeing fewer walmart disc boxes with codes in them in the near future. I'm told (or as Adele says "Rumour has it") that by Summer they (wal mart) want the boxes with the included codes cleared out. Will this become industry wide??

Its nice that they can provide an early release of a film via electronic sell thru if you pre purchase the disc. Nice touch in my opinion.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Im hearing from friends in the industry that eventually when you purchase physical media you will be registered for your UV copy at the point of purchase like walmart is now doing instead of them placing a paper code in the box. This will keep people from reselling or giving out another copy via UV. But then again couldnt the same thing happen with a dvd/blu combo pack?
We may start seeing fewer walmart disc boxes with codes in them in the near future. I'm told that by Summer they want the boxes with the included codes cleared out. Will this become industry wide??
Its nice that they can provide an early release of a film via electronic sell thru if you pre purchase the disc. Nice touch in my opinion.
You want to know the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time? The WalMart blu-ray for the most recent season of Downton Abbey has the Vudu code for it on a sticker ON THE FRONT OF THE BOX!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Patrick Donahue said:
You want to know the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time? The WalMart blu-ray for the most recent season of Downton Abbey has the Vudu code for it on a sticker ON THE FRONT OF THE BOX!
Hi Patrick!

Somebody was clearly using their license to not think, regarding that Vudu code sticker placement! Talk about giving the episodes away!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
"

Amazon Prime Video now does what Netflix won't: offline playback

Android and iOS users, rejoice

By Bryan Bishop on September 1, 2015 09:00 am

amazon-stock-0830.0.0.jpg

Amazon has been making real strides in its attempt to catch up to Netflix, and today the company is delivering a feature that arguably leapfrogs its streaming competitor in sheer utility: offline playback for both iOS and Android devices. An update to the company's mobile video apps for each platform — now renamed "Amazon Video" — lets Prime subscribers download the service's streaming titles for viewing, just as customers had been able to do on Amazon's line of Fire devices. The change takes one of the biggest inconveniences of streaming services and removes it from the equation entirely. Now, if you're in the middle of binging Downton Abbey and need to jump on a plane, you won't have to go without; you'll be able to download a number of episodes and take the Crawleys with you.

As part of the update, the company is also dropping the clunky "instant" from the name of its subscription streaming service, which will now just be known as Amazon Prime Video. The downloading feature is a clear shot across the bow of Netflix, which last year emphatically stated that it would never add offline playback. Why Netflix has held such a hardline stance has been a little unclear, but the reasons are no doubt varied. The licensing agreements the company strikes would need to incorporate the option of offline playback — studios would likely want to be compensated for revenue they could lose from travel-related movie rentals and sales — and Netflix's own infrastructure has been designed around the concept of streaming, rather than widespread downloads. Amazon, on the other hand, already has an appropriate infrastructure in place for those buying movies, and has proven to be quite aggressive when it comes to licensing.

That said, for now only a subset of Prime Video titles will be available for offline playback, including (of course) Amazon's original shows like Transparent and Bosch, and programs coming from the exclusive licensing agreements the company has recently struck with the likes of NBCUniversal (Hannibal), CBS (Under the Dome), and Fox (24). Amazon is highlighting several movies as well, including Star Trek Into Darkness and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. If those names sound familiar, that's because they're some of the many movies that Netflix is set to lose as its deal with Epix draws to a close at the end of September. I'm going to pretend that's just a coincidence.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/1/9236971/amazon-prime-video-offline-playback

"

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Good news for download fans. We're getting Vitidy and now this. I wonder if Amazon will be selling Vitidy movies.

Will downloads be offered with streaming rights as well? For example, if you download to one device and want to watch it on another, can you just stream it instead? Having both options would be cool.

P

Patrick Donahue

bruceames said:
Good news for download fans. We're getting Vitidy and now this. I wonder if Amazon will be selling Vitidy movies.

Will downloads be offered with streaming rights as well? For example, if you download to one device and want to watch it on another, can you just stream it instead. Having both options would be cool.
Just keep in mind that with Amazon Prime the downloaded copy expires in 15-30 days. It's really only meant to be used temporarily, such as on tablets when you travel, etc.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Going back to the conversation regarding automatically adding the movie to your account (Vudu or otherwise) - Amazon already does that for music; if I buy a CD (yeah, I still buy CDs) the music shows up in my Amazon music account immediately, which I have access to through Roku. I think that would be a plus, certainly would be for me.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Patrick Donahue said:
Just keep in mind that with Amazon the downloaded copy expires in 15-30 days. It's really only meant to be used temporarily, such as on tablets when you travel, etc.

1) You mean the downloaded copy won't play anymore after 15-30 days? 2) Or you only have 15-30 days of download rights after you buy it? 3) Can a download be transferred from one device to another? (like when you want to replace a device with a newer model).

if 1), then it's not very useful.

if 2) and not 3), then somewhat useful

if 2) and 3), then very useful.

P

Patrick Donahue

Bruce,

The announcement Satam posted, and that I referenced, is only applicable for the Amazon Prime streaming service as a way to use that service offline, and has nothing to do with any purchases you've made.

As far as how the time restriction with Prime streaming will work:

"Amazon says it has thousands of titles available for download; in most cases, subscribers will have 15 to 30 days to watch them."

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Patrick Donahue said:
Bruce,

The announcement Satam posted, and that I then referenced, is only applicable for the Amazon Prime streaming service as a way to use that service offline, and has nothing to do with any purchases you make.

As far as how the time restriction with Prime streaming will work:

"Amazon says it has thousands of titles available for download; in most cases, subscribers will have 15 to 30 days to watch them."

Oh, OK. Not interested then. I don't buy anything digital from Amazon because I don't like to stake the future of my collection on one vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks