What's new

Amazon Gold Box Deal Day: Die Hard 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection $25.00 (58% off) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What a great deal so close to release date of this set. Ordered!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
A word of warning, Ron. I've been through three copies of this and I still don't have one with a playable version of the first Die Hard film. I have two PS3's (an older Fat model and a new Super Slim) and disc 1 absolutely refuses to load (or even be recognized, for that matter). I have over 475 Blu-ray discs in my library, and this is the first time ever that the PS3 has choked on one. I spent a half hour on the phone each with Fox and Sony to no avail. From what I've read around the web, the issue is not isolated to the PS3, but affects other players, as well. The best guess for now is that it is some kind of disc replicating error, but since it affects players randomly, no one knows for sure.
Last night, I went back to Best Buy and they were kind enough to switch out disc 1 with one from the new stand-alone first movie edition. Unfortunately, it won't play either.
Now, it looks like my only recourse is to get a replacement from Fox. The CSR I spoke with said I have to send in the whole box set (even though the other four discs play fine). To add insult to injury, I have to pick up the tab for postage and Fox is "...not responsible for lost or stolen packages."
I certainly understand the need for copy protection, but when a legal owner has to jump through this many hoops (three trips to Best Buy, more than an hour on the phone, etc) just to watch a movie, I'm not sure it's good for the Blu-ray business over the long haul. I wish Fox had a more reasonable replacement program in place. It's one thing to stick a defective disc in a mailer, but to have to send in an entire box set (on my dime) for one faulty disc, and then wait a month for the replacement, strikes me as both unreasonable and excessive.
BTW, the packaging for this is spectacular!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was actually ready to order this set then I read some of the complaints about defective discs. Additionally, it's inevitable that after the newest Die Hard gets a Blu-ray release, there will be another boxed set with the entire series. Personally, I wish Fox would have waited to release a bigger boxed set rather than put this version out early. So, I have decided to wait it out. I am sorry to hear of the problems some of you have been having.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
The only reason I bit on this was because I got the store to price-match the BB.com price of $19.95 during their two-day sale. Since I didn't have any of the films on Blu-ray, and with the bonus $10 movie cash for the new flick also being included, I figured four films for roughly $10 was too good to pass up.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
judging by the awful, awful reviews of the new Die Hard, I'm not sure a newer "complete" collection will be all that desirable....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks