What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One egg in one giant, oversized, massively padded and secured box, and the other eleven jammed into a bubble mailer.
More like a can of corned beef hash in a box with lots of air pillows, and the eggs in an oversized bubble-pack bag!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've had shipments from Amazon UK that I've been amazed arrived intact. A few times they've used these sort of cardboard wraps that have untaped flaps on the ends that are just tucked in and could be easily opened by anyone, or could seemingly pop open themselves if the box was dropped in the right way causing the discs to fall out.

I'm not sure if these are supposed to make it easier for customs to inspect the contents, if necessary, but anyone could simply pull out the flap and take what they want. Fortunately this has never happened and the contents have arrived as I'd ordered.
My understanding is that's exactly why they use such packaging - to make it easier for customs to inspect if needed. It kind of bothers me as, like's been said, it's just so easy for something to fall out or be stolen from such packaging but so far I've not had either occur - and I've ordered tons of media from Amazon UK before shipping went through the roof.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve had plenty of discs shipped from North American Amazon facilities in those unsealed sleeves. I’ve only had one missing disc out of about 50 or so and Amazon replaced it after I complained. Strangely enough, the two UK releases I bought from Amazon were shipped in sealed boxes with lots of packing material.

It’s all bananas!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, apparently Amazon has decided that customers can no longer request a US-based agent anymore as of last month, according to one overseas agent I spoke with today after four previous agents just flat out refused or rudely transferred me back into the queue.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've probably commented about this before, but having the comments section removed from Amazon Reviews really stinks! Literally tons of helpful comments made within some of my Amazon Reviews that no longer exist!!

Thanks, Amazon. 🙄😬

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a weird experience last week with an Amazon return. When at home in Michigan, when processing a return I have always had several options for how to ship back a return - - UPS pickup, or drop off at a UPS store, Kohl's retail store, Whole Foods, etc. If I dropped off at a location, I did not need to place the item in a shipping box. The drop-off place performed that task.

I was returning an item while at our South Carolina condo. I planned to just drop off the item at a local UPS store that we would be going past that day (which is the option I always used in Michigan). However, the only option I was given was for UPS to pick up the item at our condo. This required me to package the item in a shipping container, which I didn't have. Fortunately, when we were in Home Depot that day, I walked down an aisle that was being re-stocked and found some broken down boxes. I grabbed one and repackaged the item when we got back to the condo for the next day pickup.

I have no idea why I was not given any drop off options. That has never happened to me back in Michigan.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I had a weird experience last week with an Amazon return. When at home in Michigan, when processing a return I have always had several options for how to ship back a return - - UPS pickup, or drop off at a UPS store, Kohl's retail store, Whole Foods, etc. If I dropped off at a location, I did not need to place the item in a shipping box. The drop-off place performed that task.

I was returning an item while at our South Carolina condo. I planned to just drop off the item at a local UPS store that we would be going past that day (which is the option I always used in Michigan). However, the only option I was given was for UPS to pick up the item at our condo. This required me to package the item in a shipping container, which I didn't have. Fortunately, when we were in Home Depot that day, I walked down an aisle that was being re-stocked and found some broken down boxes. I grabbed one and repackaged the item when we got back to the condo for the next day pickup.

I have no idea why I was not given any drop off options. That has never happened to me back in Michigan.
Very odd. They usually charge for UPS Pickup.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I've probably commented about this before, but having the comments section removed from Amazon Reviews really stinks! Literally tons of helpful comments made within some of my Amazon Reviews that no longer exist!!

Thanks, Amazon. 🙄😬

The comments were removed years ago.

This is one decision that I agree was a good idea. Amazon had a huge responsibility on its shoulders to moderate the thousands of comments that were made to reviews on a daily basis. I remember a lot of those comments, and as you would expect, they were often nasty and filled with attacks. Just the nature of our society when someone doesn't like or agree with a review that gets posted. I remember hitting the REPORT button many times after reading someone's honest take on a product.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The comments were removed years ago.

This is one decision that I agree was a good idea. Amazon had a huge responsibility on its shoulders to moderate the thousands of comments that were made to reviews on a daily basis. I remember a lot of those comments, and as you would expect, they were often nasty and filled with attacks. Just the nature of our society when someone doesn't like or agree with a review that gets posted. I remember hitting the REPORT button many times after reading someone's honest take on a product.
Sadly, there were those nasty comments, which were obviously and ultimately the ruination for those of us who actually used Amazon Review comments in a constructive manner. Sometimes, we just can't have nice things. :(

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Very odd. They usually charge for UPS Pickup.
Just depends... in the past couple of years I can usually opt for UPS pickup and there's no charge - as long as there's something wrong with the product. If it's a "I changed my mind" type return you have to drop it off to get free return shipping.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just depends... in the past couple of years I can usually opt for UPS pickup and there's no charge - as long as there's something wrong with the product. If it's a "I changed my mind" type return you have to drop it off to get free return shipping.
My reason was that there was a better price available after the item shipped. Still, not having an option for drop off is something I have never experienced back in Michigan. This is the first time I have returned something while at our South Carolina place, so I do not know if it's a normal occurrence here. I would have waited until we returned to Michigan, but the return window would have been closed by then.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My reason was that there was a better price available after the item shipped. Still, not having an option for drop off is something I have never experienced back in Michigan. This is the first time I have returned something while at our South Carolina place, so I do not know if it's a normal occurrence here. I would have waited until we returned to Michigan, but the return window would have been closed by then.
Do you have a lot of returns? Could they have somehow flagged your account, trying to make it less convenient for you?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Do you have a lot of returns? Could they have somehow flagged your account, trying to make it less convenient for you?
I don't think we have too many returns - - maybe 3 or 4 per year, and I order from Amazon a lot.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I checked my account, and this was the 6th return this calendar year out of way too many orders to count.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sadly, there were those nasty comments, which were obviously and ultimately the ruination for those of us who actually used Amazon Review comments in a constructive manner. Sometimes, we just can't have nice things. :(

I always assumed it was the expense of moderating the comments that caused them to disappear. People sit down at keyboards and turn into Mr. Hyde.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I always assumed it was the expense of moderating the comments that caused them to disappear. People sit down at keyboards and turn into Mr. Hyde.
Both can be true.

It was about maybe 4 years ago I started noticing that comments were no longer always readily accessible. However, in the early stages, I did also notice that sometimes going into desktop mode would bring the comments back. As recently as about 2 years ago when the Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations Blu-ray and DVD sets were being released, the capability to post comments below reviews still existed, but I couldn't post any, as Amazon had by then slapped on a $50 minimum for Amazon purchases within the last 12 months before you could comment on anything. Yes, money is tight in our household since our big move in 2018, and I now make very few purchases!

Now of course, with the Amazon Reviews comment section completely nonexistent, their minimum purchase policy for commenting below reviews is a moot point!

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, which one should I choose?
Prime.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I get that all kind of stuff the time... 3 on occasion with the 3rd being "Your Prime Day" - and it's the same day as the other 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks