What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
The replacement order ships out today via UPS SurePost with an estimated delivery date of this Wednesday! UPS SurePost, nicknamed UPS SureLost by most of the population of my small town due to how the post office treats these packages..........................

"Can't you de-prioritize UPS SurePost on my account as a shipping method?" I ask.

Not going to help in this situation, but if you do a lot of online shopping and get a lot of SurePost (or just hate it for whatever reason) I strongly recommend signing for UPS MyChoice Premium. You can automatically select to upgrade the majority of Surepost packages to UPS Ground. Trials are often available for $1 a month, something $12/20 per year, or full price 40/yr. Some CC or Cell Phone plans offer a big discount.

I've done numerous discounted 3-6 month plans and paid full price for it a couple year when I couldn't find a code and normally find it well worth the month. All my SP packages upgrade to UPS Ground and usually deliver at least 1-2 days faster. Note it doesn't work for Mail Innovations service. The last couple Christmas they even had a promo for $15 Target Card and 3-6 months of free extension for delivering a certain number of packages to a UPS Pickup Store. Easy way for me to make a bit of money back AND get the packages in a safe place during holiday porch pirate season -- a UPS Store is only a mile from my house so simple. I think my last $40 Annual payment has now added $30 Target GC and 18 months of service so almost free.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not going to help in this situation, but if you do a lot of online shopping and get a lot of SurePost (or just hate it for whatever reason) I strongly recommend signing for UPS MyChoice Premium. You can automatically select to upgrade the majority of Surepost packages to UPS Ground. Trials are often available for $1 a month, something $12/20 per year, or full price 40/yr. Some CC or Cell Phone plans offer a big discount.
I tried before, but Amazon has some sort of agreement with UPS that makes their shipments ineligible.

What is really getting under my skin is that nearly anything I order has at least a one week lead time, but if I put in the Zip Code for Fallon, NV which is 70 miles away and where all my UPS deliveries make their final stop before getting loaded onto a brown delivery truck, Amazon shows an estimated delivery date 2-3 days from now. No one at Amazon can give me a valid reason for that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've debated dropping Prime as the shipping benefits are no longer honored, but I find I do use Prime streaming fairly often and I get a new free Kindle book every month with their Prime Reads benefit, so it's still probably worth it to me.

David Norman

Premium
I tried before, but Amazon has some sort of agreement with UPS that makes their shipments ineligible.

What is really getting under my skin is that nearly anything I order has at least a one week lead time, but if I put in the Zip Code for Fallon, NV which is 70 miles away and where all my UPS deliveries make their final stop before getting loaded onto a brown delivery truck, Amazon shows an estimated delivery date 2-3 days from now. No one at Amazon can give me a valid reason for that.

That's strange. I guess I order so little from Amazon over the last few years I've never noticed a difference or else in my area Amazon always defaults to USPS. I don't think I've ever heard SurePost is different depending on origination

I'll try to remember to ask at my UPS Store the next time I'm there and see if they can explain it.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Odd Amazon thing today. I received an empty box in the mail from Amazon's receiving facility in Stamford, CT. It was marked by USPS as "Received Unsealed" and "Received Without Contents". However, this shipment does not match any pending order of mine from Amazon.

When I peel off the outer label, I can make out that it seems to be a shipment from Amazon France and was originally addressed to someone in Australia.

So it seems like nothing that really affects me, other than Amazon forwarded the empty box to me and someone in Australia may be missing their order. :huh:

It was one of those sleeve-type boxes, where the ends are just tucked in loosely. I've received a few of these from Amazon UK and am always kind of amazed that they arrive with the contents intact. I'm not sure why they use these? Ease of inspection for customs? But it just seems like it's inviting theft when you can just easily pop open the end.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Odd Amazon thing today. I received an empty box in the mail from Amazon's receiving facility in Stamford, CT. It was marked by USPS as "Received Unsealed" and "Received Without Contents". However, this shipment does not match any pending order of mine from Amazon.

When I peel off the outer label, I can make out that it seems to be a shipment from Amazon France and was originally addressed to someone in Australia.

So it seems like nothing that really affects me, other than Amazon forwarded the empty box to me and someone in Australia may be missing their order. :huh:

It was one of those sleeve-type boxes, where the ends are just tucked in loosely. I've received a few of these from Amazon UK and am always kind of amazed that they arrive with the contents intact. I'm not sure why they use these? Ease of inspection for customs? But it just seems like it's inviting theft when you can just easily pop open the end.
It's been a while (Pre-COVID 19,) but I'm pretty sure my Amazon.UK and Arrow UK arrived in "boxes" similar to what you've described. A wraparound corrugated cardboard with flaps taped loosely at either end to form a carton. The ends used a tape with threads that loosely affix the ends to the box. As I understand it customs at the sending point would be responsible for making sure anything untoward (eg as Inspector Clousseau would call it a bemb or drugs etc.

I would probably alert Amazon that you received the empty package as this sounds like the scam that the Postal Inspectors warned about by receiving unsolicited seeds.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
With all the worlds problems, this is a tiny one. We have been basically under “house arrest” since March. These tiny problems are looming large for us now!

We needed a simple plastic jug for iced tea or koolaid, and found one on Amazon.ca. It was only $5.95, so could only be added to a larger order. I put it in the shopping cart about a month ago and waited until we gradually accumulated enough to order.

It arrived today but with no lid! Great, I can imagine putting an open jug in the fridge and the jolly times we’d have with that. I thought maybe I misread and no lid was supposed to come with it. I looked again, and saw that the description made a big deal about how the lid could be turned to prevent ice from escaping.

I called Amazon. A nice person with very limited English and a script of stock replies wanted to give me a refund. I just wanted another jug. One supervisor later, and the new jug, hopefully with a lid, arrives tomorrow. We also do not have to send back the first one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With all the worlds problems, this is a tiny one. We have been basically under “house arrest” since March. These tiny problems are looming large for us now!

We needed a simple plastic jug for iced tea or koolaid, and found one on Amazon.ca. It was only $5.95, so could only be added to a larger order. I put it in the shopping cart about a month ago and waited until we gradually accumulated enough to order.

It arrived today but with no lid! Great, I can imagine putting an open jug in the fridge and the jolly times we’d have with that. I thought maybe I misread and no lid was supposed to come with it. I looked again, and saw that the description made a big deal about how the lid could be turned to prevent ice from escaping.

I called Amazon. A nice person with very limited English and a script of stock replies wanted to give me a refund. I just wanted another jug. One supervisor later, and the new jug, hopefully with a lid, arrives tomorrow. We also do not have to send back the first one.
You should have been able to initiate a return / replacement directly from Amazon's website without making a phone call. Amazon makes it quite simple, and only takes a minute or two -- certainly less time than speaking with two levels of support via the phone.

It's one of the best things about shopping at Amazon --- returns are usually so easy to process.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You should have been able to initiate a return / replacement directly from Amazon's website without making a phone call. Amazon makes it quite simple, and only takes a minute or two -- certainly less time than speaking with two levels of support via the phone.

It's one of the best things about shopping at Amazon --- returns are usually so easy to process.
I had an odd experience with replacing and item. I ordered some silicon lubricant and when I tracked the package it made it to Little Rock (we live near there) and then found it’s way to Portland, OR. I went online to order a replacement, that went fine until I got an email saying the automated system would not work for this transaction.

I called, easily got a replacement and was told to keep the original if it ever arrived. The original came one day before the replacement.

I’ve had an occasional package go far far away like this before.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had an odd experience with replacing and item. I ordered some silicon lubricant and when I tracked the package it made it to Little Rock (we live near there) and then found it’s way to Portland, OR. I went online to order a replacement, that went fine until I got an email saying the automated system would not work for this transaction.

I called, easily got a replacement and was told to keep the original if it ever arrived. The original came one day before the replacement.

I’ve had an occasional package go far far away like this before.
That's fine, but I have also received the same "don't ship back the item" response at times when filing for a replacement via Amazon's website. Other times they have required the item to be sent back, but Amazon makes that process very easy, as well.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A package was supposed to be delivered yesterday and I got a message on my phone that a problem was encountered and they couldn’t deliver. I took that to mean the driver was unwilling to skate to my door on all the ice and I don’t blame him at all.

I want out and salted the area and this morning no ice. So I get another message around 7:45 this morning saying the same thing for a different package. This did not apply to the first package.

We’ve NEVER had a delivery that early in the morning. I’m now starting to think they are not even attempting to drive on the roads and the real problem is icy road. It’d be nice it they gave a message that really communicated the problem.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I recently had a package delivered in one of Amazon's cheap Prime bubble pack envelopes. Whoever heat-sealed it at the fulfillment center left it on the sealer for far too long, so instead of sealing it, there was a large hole burned at the sealing point. When the order arrived, it looked like at one point the item had fallen out of the packet and then stuffed back in, and during transit the item ended up being crushed and completely destroyed. Of course, when I contacted Amazon about it, first they tried to blame UPS, then apologized for the inconvenience, told me that a feedback form had been sent to make sure this never happens again (why do they continually make promises like that?), then told me to return the item and place a new order. I told the chat agent "Thanks, but no thanks - I'll call in to speak to a US agent." Finally got through to a US agent, who then created a return assuming I had a UPS Store nearby (instead of a shipping label, all I got was a QR Code). I then had to escalate to a member of the leadership team to get that straightened out since the US agent did not know how to change my return to a shipping label so I can simply take it to the UPS Drop-Off here in town. The supervisor then placed a no-charge replacement order for me that arrived yesterday, which arrived in the same packaging. When I opened the package, my heart sank, as the item's box was crushed similar to the original order. The good news, though, is that the item appears to be intact. I'll be installing the new thermostat this afternoon.

Talk about a comedy of errors.....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are some items they just don’t seem to know how to ship. I think one of our members had once commented that he had worked for Amazon once and said that the ordering system will tell the warehouse people which item to pull and which packaging to use and it would seem that if whoever makes that coding in the first place gets it wrong, that issue will persist no matter how many times it ships. I think I went through like four copies of a big multi disc box set before one came that wasn’t crushed on arrival - it was something that needed to ship in a box but kept being sent in bubble mailers, and it just fell apart in those each and every time. Each time I dealt with customer service they said they’d ship it differently and of course they never did. I just got lucky the last time that it was only dinged up a little and decided to call it a day after that.

There are a lot of things Amazon is good at but I hate the mentality that a lot of companies have which is “it’s more cost effective to ship it cheaply packaged and offer a replacement if anyone complains rather than to just do it right the first time”. I hate the waste from damaged products, wasted packaging, the fossil fuel cost of repeatedly shipping the same item, warehouse employees having to do extra work, employees of both the merchant and carrier possibly being penalized for shipping damage that was avoidable, etc. The inefficiency and waste of it bugs me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Flintstones BD Boxed set came with the box partly crushed because they put it in lightweight envelope packaging.

I sent an angry letter to Amazon support urging them to use boxes to send media products. Didn't help. I continue to receive BDs in thin packaging.

They did replace The Flintstones, however.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
To add insult to injury, one of the agents offered to give me a $5 promo credit for my troubles. Of course, the agent never placed the promo credit on my account and had to go back and request that it be added. The same thing happened with an issue with my Prime Video library and movies that are now nearly impossible to find (due to Amazon discontinuing those "versions" and in doing so removing any and all searchable metadata) - the ECR rep I was working with said he was going to place a $20 promo credit on my account due to all of the delays by "the design team" where I would not get any update for over a week. He never gave me the promo credit, either, and had to request it multiple times.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There are some items they just don’t seem to know how to ship. I think one of our members had once commented that he had worked for Amazon once and said that the ordering system will tell the warehouse people which item to pull and which packaging to use and it would seem that if whoever makes that coding in the first place gets it wrong, that issue will persist no matter how many times it ships. I think I went through like four copies of a big multi disc box set before one came that wasn’t crushed on arrival - it was something that needed to ship in a box but kept being sent in bubble mailers, and it just fell apart in those each and every time. Each time I dealt with customer service they said they’d ship it differently and of course they never did. I just got lucky the last time that it was only dinged up a little and decided to call it a day after that.

There are a lot of things Amazon is good at but I hate the mentality that a lot of companies have which is “it’s more cost effective to ship it cheaply packaged and offer a replacement if anyone complains rather than to just do it right the first time”. I hate the waste from damaged products, wasted packaging, the fossil fuel cost of repeatedly shipping the same item, warehouse employees having to do extra work, employees of both the merchant and carrier possibly being penalized for shipping damage that was avoidable, etc. The inefficiency and waste of it bugs me.

That's simply what they deemed efficient/effective enough. Afterall, their business continue to boom while the vast majority of customers remain satisfied enough... and we're not actually flooded from melting polar ice caps, etc (so far)... :wacko:

That just seems to be the MO of most/all big corporate as they evolved...

_Man_

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
File this one under it doesn't always have to be your order for Amazon to piss you off!

This afternoon, one of our son's Amazon orders came in...ALMOST!

What happened was the delivery person buzzed our apartment a little after 3 this afternoon. As usual, I pressed 9 to let him in. The problem was he never bloody damn well went up the elevator, and by the time I had gone downstairs, he had left. Now, our son has to contact them to arrange another delivery.

Truth be told, I had thought it was an expected delivery for me from our local pharmacy. The only reason I found out it was for Amazon was our son told me he got a message that an attempt at delivery of his Amazon order had just been made. It's not like they don't normally just leave their deliveries outside our apartment door without even knocking anyways! Lazy AF!!!! :angry:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My last three orders from Amazon had issues:

The first one was due to the Prime bubble bag being left on the heat sealer too long, creating a hole in the seal large enough for the thermostat I ordered to possibly have fallen out and was either crushed when it fell out or during transit. The box the manufacturer used was flimsy, so this really should have been shipped in a box. The thermostat was crushed, breaking the inside posts that held the motherboard in place and breaking the on/off switch. Amazon replaced the item by shipping a new one before I had to return the damaged one.
Thermostat-2.jpg

The second order simply did not arrive, and instead I was notified that the order was, simply, undeliverable. After tracking the order on the UPS website, UPS noted that the package arrived at my local UPS hub open and empty, a file was claimed by UPS on Amazon's behalf, and the packaging was discarded. I assume this was similar to the incident above, as the item ordered was a small bottle of vitamins and likely shipped in the same Prime bubble bag. Of course, I had to request that Amazon refund the order when, after 10 days, Amazon's systems assumed the item was being returned to their warehouse.

Finally, UPS delivered a third order this last Friday, and frankly, I was a bit surprised the UPS driver left this on my doorstep based on the condition of the outer box:
20210305_171142_smear.jpg
20210305_171136_smear.jpg 20210305_171200.jpg

Luckily (and quite miraculously), Amazon actually used packing materials on this order to protect the items inside (gasp!), and the items sustained no damage whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbadave
Recent bookmarks