Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have an order I placed last week, and estimated delivery is not until next week.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was about to say Amazon pissed me off, instead:

I had a package running 3 days late. I never contacted Amazon about it, they contacted me. They said they were sorry my package was running so late, and offered a refund for the balance of my gift card for $40. I accepted, and the next day the package showed up on my doorstep with the item I ordered. I checked the gift card balance, and not only was it refunded, an additional $20 was added.

I feel like I won at the lottery. Should I alert them? Do I give it back? I feel guilty taking all of their money.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If they did it all on their own, I'd just be happy and keep it.

I wish they'd do that for me. I get the "sorry your package is late" messages, but no compensation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Packages arriving late is one thing, but this type of situation is even worse as well as dangerous.

I was just reading about that earlier this morning. I am going to stay away from Amazon Basics and spend a bit more money for the name-brand.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I generally don't trust stuff made by brands I never heard of, or off-brands I haven't vetted yet (such as amazonbasics). Especially electronic/electrical type stuff.

My prior bad experience encounter back in the day, involved a "lava lamp" which melted down one day and almost caused a fire.

Brand extensions into unrelated sectors are the most insidious, where a company uses their current brand name recognition by slapping it onto a new product line they had no prior expertise/experience with.

• Agreed
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I get the impression the folks running amazonbasics licensing, are complete rookies making too many "rookie mistakes".

An experienced veteran in that business would know how to avoid problems like that, especially when it comes to electrical devices. For example, do they even do periodic tests on the stuff they slap an "amazonbasics" logo onto?

• Agreed
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Last week, I get an e-mail from Anker offering me a sweet nearly 50% discount on a USB-C to USB-C cable that I've been wanting to get my wife for when she connects her smartphone to her laptop (both use USB-C connections), the catch is I have to purchase on Amazon and use the promo code included in the e-mail at checkout. Anker is a reputable brand, I've ordered their cables and other accessories before without any complaints, and they also sell their products through Best Buy (where I picked up a spare USB battery pack of theirs).

Yesterday, the cable arrives from Amazon. I open the Amazon shipping box, as they combined two other orders with this one. I find the blue Anker box and on the outside of the box it is marked as the USB-C cable that I ordered. Unfortunately, when I opened the box, inside was a USB to Lightning cable. Thinking that calling the manufacturer might get me faster service, plus the fact that it is very likely that any replacements Amazon were to ship are from the same wrongly identified batch. Apparently, not the case. Anker wanted me to e-mail them photos of the cable to prove that the wrong cable was packed in the box, and that would then need to be approved by a manager, and then may take a week or more for a replacement to be shipped. I told the support rep at Anker that his company was making this more difficult than it needed to be, and that I would just process the return through Amazon.

I contact Amazon by phone (a promo code was involved and I didn't want to pay full price for the replacement), asking for a replacement to be shipped. He processed the return without issue, and created a no-charge replacement order with "next day shipping." Great, I thought, and if the wrong cable is sent again, I'll go through Anker.

The replacement order ships out today via UPS SurePost with an estimated delivery date of this Wednesday! UPS SurePost, nicknamed UPS SureLost by most of the population of my small town due to how the post office treats these packages. I call in to Amazon to complain, and am told that "Next Day Shipping" means it will ship out the next day, but not necessarily that it will be delivered within one day after shipping. "OK," I ask, "then what does Prime 2-day Shipping mean?"

She tells me that Prime 2-day Shipping means my order will be delivered within 2-days after it ships.

"So let me get this straight - Next Day Shipping only means it will ship out the next business day, but could still be shipped by a slower method like UPS SurePost, but Prime 2-Day Shipping means it may take several days to get the order shipped, but will be delivered within two days after that."

She said, "Correct, sir."

"That doesn't make much sense and is rather confusing, especially the terms or wording that is used in the name of each shipping option. If Next Day Shipping means shipped out next business day, then shouldn't Prime 2-Day Shipping actually be called Prime 2-Day Delivery instead?"

"You have a point, there, sir, but there is nothing I can really do about it."

"OK, how can we make sure that UPS SurePost is not used on my orders? This method had been de-prioritized previously, but all of a sudden Amazon is using it again on my orders."

"What is wrong with UPS SurePost?"

I proceed to explain how I do not have home mail delivery, mostly because the post office is staffed with only 3-4 people to serve a town with a population of just over 3,000. When UPS drops off several packages at the post office for final delivery, the postal workers do not see them as a priority to get them sorted and placed in customers PO Boxes (or a call tag or locker key issued), and some times it is almost a week before the package is actually processed at the post office. She told me there was not much she could do, as the fulfillment centers are responsible for selecting the shipping methods for orders.

"Can't you de-prioritize UPS SurePost on my account as a shipping method?" I ask.

"I see no option to do that, sir."

I then ask to speak with a supervisor, who apparently is the only one who has access to do this.

What really irks me is this whole Next Day Shipping vs. Prime 2-Day Shipping, where the word "shipping" means something entirely different depending on whether it is Next Day or 2-Day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think this is my first time posting in this thread, though I have been monitoring it.

I have become increasingly disgruntled with Amazon, and whether it's justified or not due to the pandemic where some things are out of their control, I took the initiative to send their customer service a letter asking just what I was getting for my Prime Membership these days.

When the pandemic began I was very sympathetic to what Amazon was going through and their need to pull back from their Prime delivery promises. Anything I ordered would take a month to deliver, and I was okay with that because I understood that everyone was making sacrifices during a rough period.

And perhaps I am now being too harsh on Amazon some 6-7 months since the beginning of the pandemic.

Getting something you want in two days is not as easy as it once was. Paying a little extra for next-day delivery? No longer an option. Sunday delivery? I am not even certain if that is still an option.

For months, packages delivered by Amazon drivers to my home have been subject to delay. At least once a month I have an order slated (for example) for Monday delivery, it's on the vehicle, and I suddenly get an email saying it's now coming a day later.

Okay, okay, we are still in a pandemic and these are tough times for everyone. However, I am a little surprised Amazon hasn't reached out to their PRIME subscribers and offered an extension of their membership for the company not being able to meet delivery needs. Fact is, it just seems like the company has been pretty silent altogether when it comes to exactly what members should now be expecting when they fork over $119 a year for PRIME.

Here is the response I received from customer service when I recently wrote them asking that very question...

My name is Amy, and I'm a member of Amazon's Leadership Team.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your delivery issues and questions about Prime. Please rest assured your comments have not fallen on deaf ears. I have passed your feedback on our Logistics deliveries over to that team for further review. I'm very sorry to hear about the delays.

The pandemic continues to affect our shipment processing times, due to the significant increase in online shipping. We don't take our customer's patience for granted, and appreciate them working with us as we get through this global situation. Things have improved as the months have gone by, but there still can be delays.

The price for the Prime membership does include the benefits such as Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Reading , Prime Photos and early access to sales. For that reason, we aren't discounting the membership price.

Take care and have a good rest of your day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
IMO, if you order your video product from other retailers and Amazon is no longer your first choice then the Prime membership might not be a good purchase especially if you don't utilize services like Prime Video, Prime Music and those are similar services. They clipped me this year, but I've already made a note to myself for next year to cancel my Prime membership. Things would have to change dramatically to change my mind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I order all my discs from Amazon. I am the kind of guy that will let new titles sit for a week or two before I watch them so I don't get pissed off when they are not received on time.

What I do get pissed off about is when cables I needed yesterday end up coming tomorrow when they were promised today. That kind of thing seems to be happening more and more.

The one light at the end of the tunnel is Walmart's new delivery service. Not that I am going to sign up for it, but I am hoping it gives a swift kick in the ass to Amazon to get its act together. Competition is always good in that regard.

• Agreed
Reactions: Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure this is just my experience, but it seems that since Amazon started charging sales tax, that is when all of my major issues started. And when I say major, I mean noticeable decline in their promise to get items in the time they were scheduled. I know Amazon sometimes reward you when an item is really late, but it is very rare.

I got really spoiled when it comes to speedy service from Amazon. I remember the good old days, paying the extra fee to have something the very next day( which wasn't much, and well worth it) . Man, that was great.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
I must be one of the few Amazon customers who is still receiving good service during this pandemic. Most of my orders arrive in 1-2 days, unless it's a purchase from a third party seller -- but those instances have always been less consistent. The few movie titles I have ordered have sometimes been arriving a day later than the delivery notice initially states, but that hasn't been a big deal to me. Household items have mostly been arriving the next day from order placement, or at worst in 2 days.

We do have a very large fulfillment center that opened about five miles from our home a couple of years ago, which probably has a lot to do with our experience. Most of our deliveries have come from Amazon trucks since this fulfillment center opened.

A week or so ago, my wife ordered some make up, and when it arrived the package had already been slit open and the container was empty. The package arrived late in the day, so I placed the "replace item" order online in the evening. I quickly received a confrimation that the replacement would be delivered in two days, but instead it actually arrived the next day. We were not required to return the original shipment, either.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm sure this is just my experience, but it seems that since Amazon started charging sales tax, that is when all of my major issues started. And when I say major, I mean noticeable decline in their promise to get items in the time they were scheduled with nearly zero issues. I know Amazon sometimes rewards you when an item is really late, but it is very rare.

I got really spoiled when it comes to speedy service from Amazon. I remember the good old days, paying the extra fee to have something the very next day( which wasn't much, and well worth it) . Man, that was great.

Exactly, Bryan!

I don't think it's taxation that is the issue. We were not the first State to have to pay Amazon tax but we have been paying for many years now and we had consistently mostly excellent service right up to the pandemic.

Things were a little rough when Amazon started doing their own delivery, taking it away from USPS. Now everything was on their drivers who either were capable of doing a reliable job or not. As of now, my beef is with their drivers. It's the Amazon delivery that gets delayed more than USPS.

Amazon will still reward you if you complain. However, in the email wrote them the first thing I said was, "I am not looking for credit." Really, I want accountability more than anything else.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I still receive fantastic service from Amazon. I have Prime just for streaming video so free 2 day shipping is a bonus. I think I’ve only had one item that didn’t arrive when it should and that was a carrier delay because they damaged the item and returned it to Amazon on their own. We still get weekend deliveries and I have seen Amazon trucks in my neighborhood on Sundays.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I still receive fantastic service from Amazon. I have Prime just for streaming video so free 2 day shipping is a bonus. I think I’ve only had one item that didn’t arrive when it should and that was a carrier delay because they damaged the item and returned it to Amazon on their own. We still get weekend deliveries and I have seen Amazon trucks in my neighborhood on Sundays.
Clinton good to hear -- especially the fact that there is still Sunday delivery. Perhaps I haven't been timing my orders correctly.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I still get Sunday delivery - in fact a package is due to arrive tomorrow that was ordered 2 days ago (and it's very insignificant - some "buff" counters and damage dice for my grandson's MTG games. He won't get them until Christmas).

The issues I tend to have with Amazon shipments is almost always them using a 3rd party to get things to the USPS (UPS Mail Innovations being especially sluggish) *or* issues with the regional USPS hub that serves my address (~50 miles from my house) sitting on things for a week or more before sending them on. It wouldn't be as annoying if they still offered the "slow shipping" credits - but those are quite rare. I've gotten to where I use "2 Day" shipping on everything if show shipping credits are not offered. And packages are still shipped as if I'd selected that as an option. I currently have an order placed a week ago that's still waiting to be shipped - with 2 day shipping. Another sat in limbo for 6 weeks. I finally cancelled it and ordered the product from another vendor (not via Amazon) for less.

I currently have an order that's been "in progress" for a week coming from Atlanta to Memphis - due to either Amazon or the USPS (don't know for sure who) using a "shipping partner". It's already so late that Amazon's offered a refund or replacement (I opted for refund).

I'm generally OK with their shipping and rarely have issues but they do seem to be getting worse. I don't think I'd trust them for anything I truly needed "tomorrow."

I'm one of those few people who has Prime just for the shipping. When they were offering digital credits for all purchases I could easily recoup my annual fee with those so it was mostly worth the effort. I rarely stream video (I think I've watched 2 movies in the past 6 months on Amazon) and never use their music, photo, or other "services" as much due to lack of what I want to see/listen to as the horrible user interfaces and controls. If I find an album I want to sample (I prefer physical so sample and then purchase) it's almost always on Amazon's non-free tier so I just use Spotify's free service instead. Amazon loses sales because of that since I'll go elsewhere for that purchase.

Reactions: jcroy

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm generally OK with their shipping and rarely have issues but they do seem to be getting worse. I don't think I'd trust them for anything I truly needed "tomorrow."
I never trusted online retailers for stuff I need for the "next day".

For "now" or the "next day", easier to just drive to the nearby grocery store, wallyworld, bb, computer store, costco, staples, dollar store, bookstore, etc .... if an item is mass produced and widely available.

For an item which is not widely available, then I'm outta luck. (ie. I should have purchased it earlier, but didn't).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan