Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's the phone company. I don't believe they use VoiP. I always thought VoiP needed Internet equipment to route your calls over the Internet not the phone lines.
VOIP is internet based telephone. Lose power, internet, router, lose phone. AT&T keeps trying to sell me VOIP service and I keep telling them "My POTS line never goes out, even if power's off for days. It just works." They'll argue and I'll simply ask "OK... if I don't have my VOIP phone on a UPS then how long will it work if my house is without power?" That usually shuts them up. The answer is "It won't."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
VOIP is internet based telephone. Lose power, internet, router, lose phone. AT&T keeps trying to sell me VOIP service and I keep telling them "My POTS line never goes out, even if power's off for days. It just works." They'll argue and I'll simply ask "OK... if I don't have my VOIP phone on a UPS then how long will it work if my house is without power?" That usually shuts them up. The answer is "It won't."
When I was working and on-call 7x24x365, having a home phone service that was not susceptible to power outages was very important to me. Having a POTS service was invaluable to me during the major blackout that hit the entire eastern half of the country several years ago (even the cell towers lost power around here).

Now that I am retired, though, I really don't care if my home phone goes out if we lose power.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
When I was working and on-call 7x24x365, having a home phone service that was not susceptible to power outages was very important to me. Having a POTS service was invaluable to me during the major blackout that hit the entire eastern half of the country several years ago (even the cell towers lost power around here).

Now that I am retired, though, I really don't care if my home phone goes out if we lose power.
Wait. Wasn't that major (Northeastern?) blackout 17 years ago, not just several years ago? It happened couple summers after 9/11. I assume that's what you mean.

Time flies...

I've considered killing our landline that switched to VOIP ever since we went w/ Time Warner/Spectrum some years ago, but we end up still needing it for fax once a blue moon...

Would probably save us $15-20/month if we killed it since I could also stop renting their modem+router for the VOIP access -- I already have my own cable modem.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Wait. Wasn't that major (Northeastern?) blackout 17 years ago, not just several years ago? It happened couple summers after 9/11. I assume that's what you mean.

Time flies...

I've considered killing our landline that switched to VOIP ever since we went w/ Time Warner/Spectrum some years ago, but we end up still needing it for fax once a blue moon...

Would probably save us $15-20/month if we killed it since I could also stop renting their modem+router for the VOIP access -- I already have my own cable modem.

_Man_
Yeah, time flies. I typed "several years" as I was too lazy to look up how long it had been. Since I was in charge of all data and voice communications for a large, multi-hospital health system, that outage created a lot of work for us. I do remember the power went out on a Thursday afternoon, as I was changing my clothes in my office to head to my golf league. Our league still played (you don't need electricity to play golf), but I was stuck at work dealing with issues. I left for home in the evening once things were somewhat settled, but was on the phone most of the night.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A few weeks ago I looked out my window at 22:00 and saw a man leaving my yard. Turns out it was an Amazon delivery but that was impossible to discern from indoors. I think Amazon is putting their delivery personnel at risk with this approach. How long before a scared homeowner shoots a delivery driver and says they thought they were there to do them harm.
I thought the same thing when they dropped off my treadmill at 5:37 AM. This is Idaho - my neighbors might have taken up arms towards some guy hanging around my front porch at that hour. Especially since Amazon has gone to unmarked trucks for overflow deliveries that their marked vans can't handle.

Recall that a judge's son and husband were shot by some nutjob dressed as a UPS deliveryman.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Dirk

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, time flies. I typed "several years" as I was too lazy to look up how long it had been. Since I was in charge of all data and voice communications for a large, multi-hospital health system, that outage created a lot of work for us. I do remember the power went out on a Thursday afternoon, as I was changing my clothes in my office to head to my golf league. Our league still played (you don't need electricity to play golf), but I was stuck at work dealing with issues. I left for home in the evening once things were somewhat settled, but was on the phone most of the night.
The memory just got me to look back for an old thread in the photography section (where I posted a few pics of the NYC downtown masses heading home on foot that afternoon... and my first time crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on foot), but can't seem to locate it anymore -- maybe all pre-2004 threads in that section were lost(?)...

I did find this old thread instead, where I probably also posted those pics midway, but they're no longer accessible since I lost my pbase account a handful years ago -- still need to choose and set up a new gallery account somewhere, but been too lazy (on top of what I previously felt were rather bland/tepid options)...

Nice to reminisce a bit nonetheless...

_Man_

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I still remember where I was that Thursday afternoon in August 2003; at our local Tim Horton's on McKeown Avenue, enjoying a cuppa Tim Horton's Coffee when the power went out. Little did I know right then just how widespread it was, and how long it would last. I remember hearing a report about 24 hours in that a young Torontonian had died due to having gone too long without the central air conditioning that he needed to keep his body (which could no longer regulate temperature) sufficiently cool, due to him having been struck by lightning while doing a roofing job some years before. :(

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I purchase lots of CDs. I've noticed lately that not only has Amazon eliminated many track lists but they also no longer have 30 second track previews on the MP3 pages. Most of them seem to try and drive you to their "Unlimited" music subscription. With me, all they're succeeding in doing is driving me to Spotify for my previews - and I can normally listen to the entire album before deciding.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

What's a fax? :unsure: Seriously though, that's exactly what The UPS Store and the like are good for among other ancillary services. As it stands you're paying a very steep price for the convenience of fax service.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I wasted some time today interacting with some Amazon people. I've had to keep saying "not interested" every time I place an order, since I get a new page offering a "free trial of student Prime". I don't even qualify - I haven't been a "student" for decades. This is a waste of my time. I'm not sure how I even got on Amazon's list for student Prime candidates.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Apparently Prime Video no longer supports Dolby Atmos on the only two titles they ever supported, Jack Ryan and Carnival Row. These play only in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, regardless of what the settings of the device is. Support, of course, was no help whatsoever. I am having this issue on Fire Sticks 4K, Roku, and Apple TV 4K.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Amazon Prime Video also is now using their own ratings system apparently. Carnival Row and Jack Ryan are now rated 16+ (I think they were previously TV-MA?).

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I purchase lots of CDs. I've noticed lately that not only has Amazon eliminated many track lists but they also no longer have 30 second track previews on the MP3 pages. Most of them seem to try and drive you to their "Unlimited" music subscription. With me, all they're succeeding in doing is driving me to Spotify for my previews - and I can normally listen to the entire album before deciding.
I tried to look at a track list of an upcoming Metallica release- S&M2. I don’t know if it wasn’t available because it wasn’t released yet, or they have done away with track listings.

Reactions: bmasters9

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Are they still delaying filling orders? I vaguely seem to recall reading that they were doing that.

Placed an order for several items a few days ago, but it still hasn't even shipped.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, things still seem to be taking about two weeks for Amazon-fulfilled delivery, even for in-stock Prime items.

I just received one order that took four weeks, but that was from a 3rd party seller.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay