What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amazon Chat Agents continue to drive me up the wall. I contacted Amazon after receiving a phishing call and this was their response:
What exactly did you want them to do? It was a scam from someone pretending to be Amazon. They confirmed it wasn't a valid order and told you not to reply or provide any info. What else can they do?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What exactly did you want them to do? It was a scam from someone pretending to be Amazon. They confirmed it wasn't a valid order and told you not to reply or provide any info. What else can they do?
I would have liked them to take this seriously.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, the same thing happened to me this weekend with Apple in which the scam call said I shouldn't use any of my Apple devices and to call them. I got 15-20 calls between Saturday and Sunday.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Right, the same thing happened to me this weekend with Apple in which the scam call said I shouldn't use any of my Apple devices and to call them. I got 15-20 calls between Saturday and Sunday.
I had the same problem earlier this year where "Apple Support" would call me a few times a day and tell me to call them back. I never did and in the last few months that has stopped but have a feeling they will call me again.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would have liked them to take this seriously.
But I'm not sure what they could have done, or why you even bothered to call them. If there was no order on your Amazon account for that amount, there was obviously nothing to deal with. It was just some scumbag running a phishing scam and using Amazon's name as bait.

We all get calls from "Microsoft", "the IRS", etc. -- I even got a couple of voicemails recently claiming that federal authorities would be coming after me if I didn't call a certain number immediately. I've never considered calling the real Microsoft, IRS, etc. as they have nothing to do with the scam.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had the same problem earlier this year where "Apple Support" would call me a few times a day and tell me to call them back. I never did and in the last few months that has stopped but have a feeling they will call me again.
I get "Visa Mastercard" calling me alot. It's funny but I thought I'd have heard more about those two massive companies merging.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But I'm not sure what they could have done, or why you even bothered to call them. If there was no order on your Amazon account for that amount, there was obviously nothing to deal with. It was just some scumbag running a phishing scam and using Amazon's name as bait.

We all get calls from "Microsoft", "the IRS", etc. -- I even got a couple of voicemails recently claiming that federal authorities would be coming after me if I didn't call a certain number immediately. I've never considered calling the real Microsoft, IRS, etc. as they have nothing to do with the scam.
That's basically my point. If I followed up on every phishing scam I received, there wouldn't be any time left over for the HT, and it would waste an enormous amount of time for the businesses who the scammers claim to be.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I finally received my delayed item. Amazon delivered it sometime on Sunday which is good. What's not good is that they placed it inside my mailbox. I had other items inside which should have been picked up by the Post Office today but were missed because this package likely obscured them. Not a big deal but it does make me wonder what's up with all of these odd delivery times we've been seeing.

A few weeks ago I looked out my window at 22:00 and saw a man leaving my yard. Turns out it was an Amazon delivery but that was impossible to discern from indoors. I think Amazon is putting their delivery personnel at risk with this approach. How long before a scared homeowner shoots a delivery driver and says they thought they were there to do them harm.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I used to like to "play" with these scam calls until I saw a TV show about them. We absolutely never answer the phone now when we see their wacky numbers on our call display. We also figure anyone who really wants to get us for something legitimate will leave a message. Scammers don't leave messages, and after a while, if no one answers, they think it is a dead phone. This has cut our scam calls to almost nothing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I used to like to "play" with these scam calls until I saw a TV show about them. We absolutely never answer the phone now when we see their wacky numbers on our call display. We also figure anyone who really wants to get us for something legitimate will leave a message. Scammers don't leave messages, and after a while, if no one answers, they think it is a dead phone. This has cut our scam calls to almost nothing.
Yes I do the same thing- if I don’t recognize the incoming number on my smart phone, I don’t answer the call. Occasionally I’ll get someone that does leave a message about my owing money for a student loan- a scam to be sure- I never applied for one, and the caller doesn’t identify me by name.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robokiller is a fantastic app. Well worth the yearly fee of, I believe, $15

Have all your landline calls forwarded to your cellphone which in turn will forward it to RoboKiller.

And, yes, if you just let the phone ring and don't ever pick it up, the people that need to reach you will leave a message.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robokiller is a fantastic app. Well worth the yearly fee of, I believe, $15

Have all your landline calls forwarded to your cellphone which in turn will forward it to RoboKiller.

And, yes, if you just let the phone ring and don't ever pick it up, the people that need to reach you will leave a message.
I use Nomorobo for our land line. It's free and blocks most of the calls. I can report those calls that get through.

I do not get many solicitor calls on my mobile phone. I had been using a call blocking app, but an upgrade to the app made it worse. I tried another app, but it was blocking everything. Right now I am just manually blocking anything that gets through using my dialer app. I think I only have four numbers in the block list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use Nomorobo for our land line. It's free and blocks most of the calls. I can report those calls that get through.

I do not get many solicitor calls on my mobile phone. I had been using a call blocking app, but an upgrade to the app made it worse. I tried another app, but it was blocking everything. Right now I am just manually blocking anything that gets through using my dialer app. I think I only have four numbers in the block list.
Unfortunately, Nomorobo isn't available to this AT&T customer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

So you have VoiP. Yeah, you have good options at your disposal.

I have Verizon Fios as my landline. Fortunately, it allows me to go to its website and through my account redirect calls to my cellphone where the spam blocking occurs.

Otherwise, all you get with the landline is a label on the caller ID that says SPAM when Verizon's crappy algorithm detects a spam call

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So you have VoiP. Yeah, you have good options at your disposal.

I have Verizon Fios as my landline. Fortunately, it allows me to go to its website and through my account redirect calls to my cellphone where the spam blocking occurs.

Otherwise, all you get with the landline is a label on the caller ID that says SPAM when Verizon's crappy algorithm detects a spam call
Verizon FIOS isn't a VoIP service?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's the phone company. I don't believe they use VoiP. I always thought VoiP needed Internet equipment to route your calls over the Internet not the phone lines.
They could be running the phone service off the Internet connection. I am not that familiar with the Verizon FIOS service, as it's not available in this area. Does your phone line somehow connect to a router provided by Verizon, or are your phone lines still connected via the old, traditional copper analog phone terminal?

We have our home phone through Comcast. I only kept the land line after I retired because it's cheaper to have it as part of the bundle than not have it at all.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unfortunately, Nomorobo isn't available to this AT&T customer.
I was planning on setting up Nomorobo for my mother, who has been complaining about a lot of solicitor calls. She has a AT&T cellular-based combination Internet / voice service where AT&T provides a cellular-based router with WiFi, an ethernet port and an analog phone port. It was the only cost effective option for Internet access when my parents were living in rural northern Michigan, and we just brought it with my mother when she moved to southeastern Michigan near us recently. She was able to keep her 989 area code phone number that way. She gets unlimited calling and 250GB of data per month (which is more than enough for her) for about $60 per month. The 4G Internet service is also fast enough for her -- she only uses it to occasionally stream HD material on the Roku I gave her and download new books to her Kindle. She's getting most of her TV via an indoor antenna I bought her, which picks up 41 local channels. The had DirtecTV when they lived up north.

You have me wondering now if Nomorobo will work. Since it is VoIP-based, I just assumed it would.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was planning on setting up Nomorobo for my mother, who has been complaining about a lot of solicitor calls. She has a AT&T cellular-based combination Internet / voice service where AT&T provides a cellular-based router with WiFi, an ethernet port and an analog phone port. It was the only cost effective option for Internet access when my parents were living in rural northern Michigan, and we just brought it with my mother when she moved to southeastern Michigan near us recently. She was able to keep her 989 area code phone number that way. She gets unlimited calling and 250GB of data per month (which is more than enough for her) for about $60 per month. The 4G Internet service is also fast enough for her -- she only uses it to occasionally stream HD material on the Roku I gave her and download new books to her Kindle. She's getting most of her TV via an indoor antenna I bought her, which picks up 41 local channels. The had DirtecTV when they lived up north.

You have me wondering now if Nomorobo will work. Since it is VoIP-based, I just assumed it would.

Just did a little research. It will work with Verizon Digital.

My Mom is still on Verizon standard. It's extra $$ for digital service and I don't think she wants to pay it.

Sounds like you have a great setup for your Mom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks