Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think we can hardly be expected to police Amazon's definition of essential items. ;)

CHEERS! :)
Agreed. I have a friend who works at one of their fulfillment centers who posts on her Facebook feed "interesting items" that were on her pick list for the day. Lots of non-essential items like sex toys, bobble head dolls, etc. This was even during the toilet paper shortage.

• Haha
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Agreed. I have a friend who works at one of their fulfillment centers who posts on her Facebook feed "interesting items" that were on her pick list for the day. Lots of non-essential items like sex toys, bobble head dolls, etc. This was even during the toilet paper shortage.
The trouble with "Essential items" is everyone's definition of this phrase somewhat differs! :wacko:

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've been using their 1 and 2 day shipping more often as they've not offered digital credits on the majority of what I've ordered. It's a choice of 1 or 2 days, free, or wait for my "Amazon day" with no perk for that wait. I ordered a board game yesterday and it was delivered today. A CD will be delivered tomorrow (also ordered yesterday). If they'd return the digital credits I'd do "Amazon Day" for all of them. I don't mind waiting and it's much less cardboard/shipping packets to dispose of/recycle that way. I keep thinking if I really take advantage of those 1 or 2 day time frames they'll eventually return the slow shipping credits to everything.
They're still offering those digital credits, but apparently usually only if you order more than one item at a time.

I did another one-week trial of Prime (for the recent B2G1 deal that seemed meant to sorta match Target), and noticed they're giving $0.50 credit for each item upto $2 total credit per order, but only if I order at least 2 items each time.

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Finally, my copy of "The War of the Worlds" Blu-ray made it to my local USPS facility. It took from June 6th to June 25th, in order to travel about 75 miles.:rolleyes: Now, I wonder how long will it take my local USPS facility to deliver my Blu-ray?:laugh:
Is this the criterion edition? I thought that wasn’t released yet.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They're still offering those digital credits, but apparently usually only if you order more than one item at a time.

I did another one-week trial of Prime (for the recent B2G1 deal that seemed meant to sorta match Target), and noticed they're giving $0.50 credit for each item upto $2 total credit per order, but only if I order at least 2 items each time.

_Man_
Hmmm... not on my account. I've tried that and it doesn't always do the offer - to be sure I tried before posting this and it wasn't offered at all, even with 4 or 5 items in the order. The last time I got it was during their 2/$30 TVonDVD sale. I made 2 orders of 2 titles each. They split one of those orders into 2 shipments and I wound up with a $2.50 credit from that one. The other got $1.50 and both titles shipped together. I used Target for the B2G1 sale as I like their process better and get a rebate of sorts from every shipment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For the first time I couldn’t find a button that would allow me to see all the reviews for a product. When I select “All Reviews from the US) I only get 10 and get see how to get more. It’s a blu ray concert album and here’s a link in case you want to try it out: Amazon product

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A few months back it seems that Amazon removed the requirement to actually write a review for some people. I've seen what you describe and that link shows on dozens of products. It'll show there are XX reviews but when you show all of them there are fewer than the number listed. Click on one of the stars to filter and you may be told "No reviews match that criteria" (or something to that effect) yet there *are* some somewhere. I can't figure out if some of those used to generate the aggregate number are "international" reviews or not. It's quite irritating and annoying.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
After waiting for almost a month on a "pending" subscribe 'n save item Amazon cancels the order - and it's in stock within an hour of the order being cancelled. To top it off I lost a very good coupon on the item in the process. A coupon that took $10 off the normal price and made the product worth purchasing (some venison bars that're pretty good but very overpriced without coupons and SnS).

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has been doing pretty well by me in the last few months, using almost entirely their own delivery method. Back in early May, I had a book that was shipped out by them on time to arrive on its Tuesday release date, but it Took almost four or five days for it to arrive via UPS. Since then, using their own delivery services, I've had pretty good luck with most things. Since postage went up a while back, I've noticed them relying on the post office less.

I have another book that's supposed to be coming tomorrow, and I didn't get shipping confirmation on this one until 5:32pm today, which is very late relative to the norm. Normally, for Tuesday release date deliveries, by the time I wake up on the Monday prior I have a shipping confirmation. This book is, I believe, the first one that has been shipped to me with UPS since the one that was significantly delayed. We'll see what happened.

Coincidentally, tomorrow's book is the new English translation of Kiki's Delivery Service, the novel which served as the basis for Hayao Miyazaki's film. If there is a delivery problem, it would be sort of ironic that a book about a delivery service had a delivery issue. We'll see tomorrow.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I haven't ordered much since the shutdown back in march.

I did have a preorder which arrived over the weekend. (Only a day late than typical for preorders I've made in the recent past before the shutdown).

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

When the shutdown happened, I would have thought I would be ordering more stuff online.

For reasons I haven't quite understood, I haven't purchased much of anything since the shutdown. (Other than weekly groceries and other essentials). Somewhat paradoxical to my usual purchasing behavior.

I suspect it might be due to persistent anxiety and other mental health issues, where buying stuff is no longer interesting to me in current times.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I suspect it might be due to persistent anxiety and other mental health issues, where buying stuff is no longer interesting to me in current times.
Among things that Amazon would consider nonessentials, I've been buying a lot of books. Since I can't go out to see a movie or a play, I'm glad a lot of authors I read have had new books scheduled for this time, which is a complete coincidence but which gives me a new thing to keep me occupied and entertained in the lack of being able to have entertainment-related outings.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Among things that Amazon would consider nonessentials, I've been buying a lot of books. Since I can't go out to see a movie or a play, I'm glad a lot of authors I read have had new books scheduled for this time, which is a complete coincidence but which gives me a new thing to keep me occupied and entertained in the lack of being able to have entertainment-related outings.
Since I stopped buying a lot of dvds/blurays a few years ago, most of my regular purchases were books. I probably spent more on books over the past few years, than the total $$$$ I ever spent on dvds/blurays. (Collecting dvd/bluray was one of the least expensive hobbies I ever had).

Reactions: Jake Lipson

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another reason I can think of offhand, is that I've been noticing I'm already hitting the "point of diminishing returns" for the niches I regularly buy books, dvds/blurays, etc ... Each subsequent purchase may seem interesting and exciting from reading/watching the descriptions, sample data, etc .... before purchase, but end up being inconsequential after purchase.

Most of my book purchases are in highly specific niches which don't have many published titles to begin with. Frankly I can find and read legitimate free legal digital copies of the same titles online (or their earlier drafts). I only really buy the paper books version, largely because it would be more expensive to print out 500+ pages on my home computer's printer than just buying the actual hardcover book.

Also I noticed a similar type of pattern when I come across newer/current music and move/tv titles. When I listen to newer/current music on youtube, which I might be thinking of buying the cds, I come to the immediate realizaton that it would likely be a cd which ends up sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust after I listened to it once or twice. (Same story with recent movies which show up on basic cable channels).

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, UPS failed to deliver my book pre-order on time today. It's been "out for delivery" since 4:21 a.m, so I'm not sure what's up with that. It's not actually a huge deal that I didn't get the book today, and I'm not really planning to raise a stink about it with Amazon just yet. But I'm still noticing the issue. Incidentally, this is the second order in a row that was shipped through UPS and failed to arrive on time; all of my recent orders that were shipped with Amazon's own delivery service lately have been prompt.

I also noticed Amazon's policy on missed deliveries isn't really much of anything. It says, "If we provide a guaranteed delivery date and a delivery attempt is not made by this date, we will provide a refund of any shipping fees associated with that order." This is ridiculous because, as a Prime customer, I don't have shipping fees directly associated with any order, so there's nothing for them to refund. This makes the whole policy essentially void, except for people who aren't Prime members and don't buy enough to trigger free shipping.

I also just think it's ironic that a book about a delivery service had a delivery delay.

Kiki.jpg

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In my particular area/region, it seems like amazon dropped UPS entirely for free shipping delivery.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's usually the case here, too -- the last package prior to this one that they sent via UPS was in the middle of May. The vast majority of their deliveries come through their own service now, but every once in a while they'll use UPS. I don't remember the last time they used the post office. I think the recent increase in postal rates has motivated them to just do it themselves more.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, in fairness to UPS, I must happily retract my previous statement in post #657. My delivery showed up at 9:38pm. I was really surprised that UPS was out that late making deliveries, since I thought they stopped earlier in the evening than that. But it is here on the release date after all. So there is no issue on this one.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawleralter