Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Those sound very good... right up my alley... and available on subscribe 'n save (and they have jalapeno ones too)... and the "Ninja Ginger" sounds good (although way overpriced)... must resist...
They're quite good, with a bit of a kick.

I've tried several flavors from this company, and they've all been pretty good. These are my favorite.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Amazon.ca e-mailed me today. My order will be delayed! Apparently they are all tied up sending out staples, masks and PPEs because of this covid 19 thingy. Don’t they realize how important it is for me to get my Blu ray of “Cats” on time?!

Reactions: bmasters9

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My pre-order of Little Women, which was to arrive Thursday, showed up today. A gift order of another Blu-ray I sent to a friend also looks like it's going to show up earlier than the delivery window estimated. So they are doing just fine for me right now.

I am not going to overwhelm them with new orders for non-essential items at this time, and I don't mind if things take longer to get here than they normally would. However, I am also not going to cancel pending pre-orders that I've had in place for several months just because of the pandemic. Those things are still important to me, and since I can't go out to a store to get them, of course I want them shipped. If I get them a little bit later, that's fine.

That being said, my next three pre-ordered items are released May 19, June 2 and June 16. The one on May 19 is a Blu-ray, and the two in June are both books. I was a bit surprised when Amazon already sent out a notice that the two June orders may have their delivery dates delayed due to the virus, but did not send one for the Blu-ray. In my account, the two books now say "We need a little more time to provide you with a good delivery estimate," while the Blu-ray is still showing delivery on May 19.

Not that I'm complaining -- and certainly I will accept delivery of these whenever possible -- but it just seems inconsistent, and a little early to be notifying about theoretical delays to products coming two months from now. We'll see what happens.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It does seem inconsistent but it's not totally Amazon's fault.

They are simply underpromising delivery to cover their asses.

I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. Most everything I order --- no matter when I order it --- gets delegated to a certain single date within 30 days ahead.

Many of the items ship sooner. Some items, I get multiple messages that they are due to ship sooner then they get delayed.

Right now I am waiting on THE ELEPHANT MAN 4k out of Amazon U.K. That delivery has been delayed and it's sad to see that those who ordered directly from Studio Canal have already received theirs.

It's just what life is right now and it's only going to be temporary.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Amazon.ca e-mailed me today. My order will be delayed! Apparently they are all tied up sending out staples, masks and PPEs because of this covid 19 thingy. Don’t they realize how important it is for me to get my Blu ray of “Cats” on time?!
From the reviews that film received, Amazon may just be doing you a favor. :laugh:

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I ordered nine movies from Amazon Saturday morning. Three of them arrived Monday, one is arriving today, one Saturday, and the rest are scheduled for April 24th. The delivery schedule seems erratic but I’m sure a lot of it has to do with which items are located in which fulfillment centers.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I still have one item, which was a preorder I made back in January.

It was originally suppose to be released at the end of March, but the publisher "kicked the can" for another month on the release date. (This is according to the publisher's official web page for this title). Though under current conditions, I don't expect it to arrive at the end of April.

As to when this item might finally arrive, I strongly suspect it is highly dependent on how fast the publisher can print it and send it to amazon's warehouse(s).

Nevertheless, I'll keep the order around since it still has the "preorder price guarantee" on it. (The price significantly fell once already, which the preorder reflects).

Reactions: Jake Lipson

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I ordered a DVD of the Disney film The Black Hole, a Stackable DVD holder, a pack of DVD Jewel cases and some Cardboard for a craft project on Monday along with a 3 pack of Toothpaste. I was told I would have all items by this coming Saturday. Well, The Cardboard material, the Stackable DVD Holder and toothpaste arrived this morning. The DVD and the DVD Jewel cases are still making their way through the supply Chain

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I still have one item, which was a preorder I made back in January.

It was originally suppose to be released at the end of March, but the publisher "kicked the can" for another month on the release date. (This is according to the publisher's official web page for this title). Though under current conditions, I don't expect it to arrive at the end of April.

As to when this item might finally arrive, I strongly suspect it is highly dependent on how fast the publisher can print it and send it to amazon's warehouse(s).

Nevertheless, I'll keep the order around since it still has the "preorder price guarantee" on it. (The price significantly fell once already, which the preorder reflects).
Heh.

My "preorder" just arrived today. I was not expecting this at all, but am happy with this turn of events.

(The amazon listing for this title is still a "preorder").

On a closer examination, the listing on some overseas amazon sites (such as uk) for this same title, still indicates the original release date back in late March with several copies in stock.

This title appears to have been printed in england. I'm guessing it was possibly done just right before everything non-essential was shut down in england. With the abrupt shutdown, it probably took another two weeks to ship over the pond, until it reached amazon's warehouses here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, Amazon has discontinued their delivery service in the States. It's still available in the UK.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/tech/amazon-third-party-shipping-suspended/index.html

I am guessing this is only temporary.

As someone who worked in the Postal Service, directly involved with sorting Amazon parcels, I have a bit of a perspective...

When Amazon was fully vested with USPS, in our office (which was quite large), we would sort over 20 pallets of parcels per day.

On October 31, 2018, that all changed. The contract between USPS and AMAZON expired.

Moving forward, the number of pallets we processed decreased to about 8 or less per day.

At first, I never thought Amazon would succeed in being able to successfully deliver parcels on their own and certainly, there were numerous hiccups at the start. I got quite a bit of store credit complaining to Amazon when my packages did not arrive on time.

However, before COV-19, I have to say, Amazon was doing a pretty damn good job as far as I could see.

I got my deliveries first thing in the morning. I could track where the driver was on Amazon's website and a photo and alert of the delivery was sent to my email box.

Far more efficient than USPS.

I hate to root for the other team, but I hope Amazon gets back on their feet with this service and that it is not permanently canceled.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Amazon used this in my town this past Christmas season. I have mixed feelings, mostly because they never placed packages in "protected" areas on my porch. I have a large porch with 2 "Spanish Arches" - one for entry to the porch (no screens, no doors). When you come through that doorway, immediately to the left is a largish area with a 3 foot landing and 4 steps leading to a lower level (where the other arch is - but it's not an entry). USPS and UPS regularly put packages against the outer wall of that landing - where they can't be seen from the street. You practically have to get on the porch to see them. Amazon *constantly* leaned them *against* the storm door. That meant either using the door to push the packages away so you could get out or come out of the garage to pick them up to allow the door to work properly. I left notes - didn't work. I talked to one driver - didn't work. The only "good" thing was those photos but that really proved nothing other than they took a photo when it was dropped off. Delivery times and package condition were no better or worse than USPS. At least the packages weren't mangled like they are when UPS handles the entire delivery (which may be that "last mile" as "Mail Innovations" packages delivered by the USPS rather than UPS arrive in superb condition).

David Weicker

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My biggest issue with Amazon delivery was that I live in an Apt, and there isn't a terrific method for not-home delivery. With USPS and UPS, the package can be routed to an alternate pick-up location (Post Office, or UPS hub/site).

Not a fan of packages left in the common area/foyer of the building. (although these days, all packages are just left). And Amazon was absolutely horrible about notifying me when they actually delivered a package. Only by logging in and checking the status did I know they left something. No text, no buzzer ring. They just dropped it off and left.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I had a new issue with a received order of a disc this morning. My UHD copy of The Lion King had a slit cut in the side of the cellophane wrapper, and the sheet with the digital movie code was missing. So, someone had obviously stolen my code. I have initiated a return with Amazon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had a new issue with a received order of a disc this morning. My UHD copy of The Lion King had a slit cut in the side of the cellophane wrapper, and the sheet with the digital movie code was missing. So, someone had obviously stolen my code. I have initiated a return with Amazon.
Holy Shit! That is pretty incredible. Talk about finding new ways to steal from customers. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That makes me wonder if it was an "unwanted" return from someone. Amazon's not known for being careful about checking returns to be sure they're truly "new" and haven't been opened/used before putting them back up. With disc wrappers being damaged in transport (at all stages) I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. It comes back, the slit isn't noticed or taken as "normal" damage, and it's put back in the "new" bins instead of going to the "Warehouse Sales" area.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That makes me wonder if it was an "unwanted" return from someone. Amazon's not known for being careful about checking returns to be sure they're truly "new" and haven't been opened/used before putting them back up. With disc wrappers being damaged in transport (at all stages) I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. It comes back, the slit isn't noticed or taken as "normal" damage, and it's put back in the "new" bins instead of going to the "Warehouse Sales" area.
I encountered stuff of this sort before, though unrelated to cd/dvd/bluray.

These were books where the printed "return form" from the previous customer, was still slipped in under the front cover.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just received my Blu ray of “Cats” today. Canada does not have Saturday mail delivery so I don’t know how it got here. Perhaps they used a different service. In order to get Prime Video (The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel — wonderful!) we recently became Prime members, perhaps this is the explanation, although I pre-ordered “Cats” a long time ago.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell