Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
When I did my recent shopping at Walmart, I did pick up "World War Z" from the $5 dump bins.

Anecdotally, I noticed the dvd/bluray section at the nearby Walmart was deserted with nobody else there except me and the sales clerk sweeping the floor.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
My problem is that you can still order non-essential items and have them arrive sooner than essential ones. Our TP supply is dwindling, even though we have been rationing by using my late mother in law's stockpile of butt wipes. I've tried placing orders for TP on Amazon, but it is sold out before I can click "Add to Cart." The local Safeway hasn't received a shipment of paper products for weeks, and both Walmart and Target are no longer shipping TP (they are all marked "In Store Purchase Only"), and Costco will only deliver with their trucks (no UPS, FedEx, or USPS shipments of that product). Closest Walmart is 75 miles, closest Target and Costco is 120 miles.
Not delivery, but as I noted yesterday, you may want to check some of the smaller stores like Dollar General. I was in one of the local DG's yesterday and they had a surprising variety of TP options available. Not fully stocked by any means, but several brands and different size packages.

I bought one "insurance" package, but that was it. I think I could have bought at least two.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Both Dollar General and Family Dollar have been sold out for weeks. We ventured out today and scored an 8-pack of Mega rolls at DG (limit one pack per customer and you MUST be a local resident).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Both Dollar General and Family Dollar have been sold out for weeks. We ventured out today and scored an 8-pack of Mega rolls at DG (limit one pack per customer and you MUST be a local resident).
That’s an interesting restriction. No matter where you live you still have to wipe your arse. :P

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That’s an interesting restriction. No matter where you live you still have to wipe your arse. :P
We are on a truck route between Las Vegas and Reno and our stores have been getting wiped out of essential items quite regularly by out of towers.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
So you get carded when you buy TP? :lol:

I laugh, but I agree that this bulk hoarding of TP has been ridiculous. If I had not bought a 6-pack of mega rolls before I left for vacation ("just in case" as the virus was ramping up), I'd likely be almost out and highly upset.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
How are they enforcing that rule?

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
This is a very, very big issue to me-
As far back as I remember Amazon had an awesome feature for people that purchase DVD, BD (and of course other items)
Customers that bought this item also bought these items:
It was a way of being "in the know" of many lesser known movies that would never be known to me otherwise (especially horror movies, TV on DVD, and of course 4K movies) it was a good barometer of what the current pulse of that specific genre was into. I would say 90% of my blind purchases were discovered through this feature. I have been an Amazon member since 2000, and I honestly don't ever remember this prompt not being displayed

It is no longer on my Amazon App, and I'm not sure why. Instead there is:
-Sponsored products related to this item (laughably horrible...If I'm buying Star Wars BD, I get a "related item" like star wars toothpaste or some other nonsense...not at all what I'm shopping for).

-More Items to explore (worthless)

-Recommended for you (also worthless)

And are you ready for this?

Customers who viewed this item also viewed these digital items

That is correct when viewing a physical 4K BD of "Abominable" that is the message displayed.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As far back as I remember Amazon had an awesome feature for people that purchase DVD, BD (and of course other items)
Customers that bought this item also bought these items:
Agreed. Where I often found this useful is when it would include accessories for that item. For example, drill bits when looking at a power drill.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Agreed. Where I often found this useful is when it would include accessories for that item. For example, drill bits when looking at a power drill.
I cannot believe that this feature has been removed. It was brilliant for so many reasons (like the one you mention for example).
I'm just lost without it when browsing certain items.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What bothers me more is that most of the "Sponsored" items are blatant Chinese knock-offs of the exact same item I am shopping for, and that Amazon continues to fulfill these items for third party sellers.

Reactions: Peter Keller

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Somehow I get the feeling that 99% of Amazon shoppers could give a shit about features like this. Amazon could remove the customer reviews of products completely, and people would probably give a shoulder shrug, and an "oh well".

Fuck that, I'm fighting for these features. I'm calling them later and letting them know how I feel.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Amazon could remove the customer reviews of products completely, and people would probably give a shoulder shrug, and an "oh well".
With all of the fake reviews on Amazon, especially on those Chinese knock-offs (in most cases where people have been paid to leave a positive review), I quite often take many of the reviews with a grain of salt.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I noticed the removal of that useful feature weeks ago. When I first noticed it I thought it was another of their "useful" experiments so did the normal clearing of Amazon cookies to restore functionality - only it didn't work this time indicating a full roll-out. It stinks and I've never used these sponsored items lists (I'm assuming they track clicks to know) as they're 100% worthless.

If they'd roll back to the UI used in the early 2000s I'd be thrilled. It was actually functional before these "code jockeys" and faux "UI designers" got hold of things.

Reactions: Bryan^H

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
I don't pay attention to any of the 5-star reviews. Largely a waste of time to read.

I only read the 1 and 2 star reviews, which go into some details about technical problems.

Reactions: Peter Keller

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What bothers me more is that most of the "Sponsored" items are blatant Chinese knock-offs of the exact same item I am shopping for, and that Amazon continues to fulfill these items for third party sellers.
The New York Times (I think it was them) did an article about the sudden boom in those kinds of listings on Amazon. It turns out that it’s not a coincidence or accident. Amazon, like Walmart, has the muscle to force companies to sell products to them at what some vendors consider to be unsustainable and insufficiently low prices. But a lot of manufacturers had been burned by Walmart by this practice and made more of an effort not to give in to Amazon’s price demands. So instead of negotiating for rates that more accurately reflected what it cost to make those brand name products, Amazon instead decided to essentially create their own knock off supply chain. If, to pick one example, iPhone chargers are all the rage, what Amazon will do is partner with a product designer in America that designs the charger, and then put that designed in communication with a Chinese manufacturer that already works with the types of components and already has the production facilities and workers needed to manufacture that product quickly and inexpensively. Amazon helps the designer and manufacturer set up a limited corporation to run the business end, and the finished product is shipped directly from China to an Amazon warehouse where it’s sold as a “fulfilled by Amazon” product that they technically don’t own, stock themselves or have responsibility for. So, if the hypothetical iPhone changer winds up being defective and dangerous to the consumer, Amazon doesn’t have the liability, and the limited company that made it doesn’t have any assets to seize either.

On one hand, this can be a useful chain for designers and inventors who have good ideas but don’t have the resources to bring them to fruition on their own. On the other hand, there’s little transparency and little knowledge of what the consumer is getting, while decreasing the perceived value of such products, thus making it harder for more transparent manufacturers to sell their goods at sustainable prices.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I noticed the removal of that useful feature weeks ago. When I first noticed it I thought it was another of their "useful" experiments so did the normal clearing of Amazon cookies to restore functionality - only it didn't work this time indicating a full roll-out. It stinks and I've never used these sponsored items lists (I'm assuming they track clicks to know) as they're 100% worthless.

If they'd roll back to the UI used in the early 2000s I'd be thrilled. It was actually functional before these "code jockeys" and faux "UI designers" got hold of things.
Well said. I strongly agree. It is almost as if they are deliberately steering customers away from physical media, and into digital.
I understand that we collectors are in the minority with such things, but they are giving the few of us that are no redeeming reason to shop with them over other online sites. Luckily the catalog titles I buy on BD are almost entirely from boutique labels, so I buy them from their respective site.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Well said. I strongly agree. It is almost as if they are deliberately steering customers away from physical media, and into digital.
I understand that we collectors are in the minority with such things, but they are giving the few of us that are no redeeming reason to shop with them over other online sites. Luckily the catalog titles I buy on BD are almost entirely from boutique labels, so I buy them from their respective site.

I have noticed something similar with books.

As time went on, it seems like there are more and more "recommendations" for digital ebooks and not the paper versions.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I have noticed something similar with books.

As time went on, it seems like there are more and more "recommendations" for digital ebooks and not the paper versions.

It seems they have an agenda, slowly pushing physical media out. I sound like a raving madman, shouting my physical media rhetoric from a street corner but I really don't think I'm being paranoid.

It would be so less stressful/frustrating If Amazon was transparent as to why this is happening. Then I could deal with it, and carry on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2