1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Yeah. My Prime membership renews in January--I hit the auto renew to "off".

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Hard to get PO'd at Amazon since I basically stopped using them for any disc purchases 5-6 yrs ago -- no self initiated sales and elimination of any post purchase price guarantees (even for unshipped items) in addition to the packaging issues. I guess I've missed their increasingly missed delivery dates other than reading about it in increasing number of threads. Very simple to use other dealers

I don't need same day delivery, I need safe delivery and some financial protection for hidden sales.

Best Buy and Barnes & Noble took up most of the slack with DD, Walmart, and several other smaller dealers like Bullmoose taking up the rest

DMC got most of the Disney business other than BBY exclusives.

Best Buy gets most of the mass market items,

B&N got almost all the Warner Archive, Sony MOD, Universal MOD, Shout, US Arrow, British TV and already had the Criterion sales.

TT-SAE/Kino I go direct.

Amazon still gets most of the EU/UK purchases other than ARROWUK and a few Zavvi exclusive, but mostly out of necessity

I am still a Prime member since it was a free trial, but almost exclusively for non Media and I'd drop that if I wasn't grandfathered into a plan which allows my kids use the shipping for Free -- I guess in a sense it's only $30 a year for me. They were in HS when it started, used it through College and grad School, and now using it as a cost saving measure to get themselves fully established. I might even feel a bit guilty if not for all the rest of the hamstringing Amazon has pulled over the last several years slowly removing perks and increasing the costs

Bryan^H and Todd Erwin like this.
  3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    What is financial protection for hidden sales?

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, the price went up, but what perks have they removed? Retro price match? How many other merchants do that. Now I get free shipping and a pretty good streaming service. I think it’s a deal.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

The streaming service is good. I give them that. But a big question that has been bugging me for years, and this may not be the place to ask.

How on earth is Amazon so profitable? Shipping isn't cheap, what my Prime membership costs annually is about 3, or 4 big packages to my door in under a month. The rest of the year they are operating at a loss with free shipping to me.

their streaming service shows, and content are sky high with prduction costs and streaming rights. Returns are easy, and costly, and...I honestly don't get it. Seems like a Prime membership should be at $300 annually for them to break even. What magic are they making?

6. Message #406 of 406 Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Any sort of post purchase guarantee, direct price matches, Release Day delivery on all Media Titles (now no Disney, Warner and Warner Archive are questionable, no Sony MOD, no Universal MOD, questionably on Kino and Shout) FS on all items (no Prime Add-on).

Best Buy (up to 45 days and a little past if you are a good customers), B&N (up to 30), Target (60+ with Redcard), Walmart (up to 90). Other than doorbuster and Black Friday I can pretty much call or go in to any of these for a refund often past their posted dates.

With Amazon it's 1 minute past the ability to cancel excluding Preorder guarantee which everyone pretty much has.
    Last think I ordered dropped in price by 50% before it shipped, but unable to cancel. "Sorry -- can't help." Not a problem -- returned it on their dime by making up an excuse and ordered from BBY. They won't even Price Match a direct competitor anymore unless their algorithm decides to change their own price -- no problem, I just order from the store with the price to begin with.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow if Amazon matches B&N 22.50 price for David Tennant. Amazon has apparently added B&N to their "we'll consider it" price change, but those that have already ordered are out of luck unless you call and beg and have a lucky CSR.

I don't want or need another streaming service for $120 per year (or Kindle or Fire or Music or whatever other stuff I don't use). I want things I can use for a good price and now they add things I don't need, remove things I do need, and increase the price.

I've literally gotten more than $100 back from BBY in the last 4 months in price corrections mostly on items that Amazon don;t carry or that Amazon was more expensive to begin with, plus free 2 day shipping for basically using my Credit Card to pay the House and Car Insurance for the year plus they give me enhanced RZ points free

BobO'Link and bmasters9 like this.