1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Aug 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    From what I've read, Amazon's business impact to UPS is negligible - 2% or less of their total revenue after discounts are taken into account.

2. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I hate the inaccurate write ups on Amazon, but this one for Hadestown (Hadestown (Original Broadway Cast Recording) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8LHM6F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M7YtDbFJYPKCV) made me laugh.

In the section called “Description”, there is a subtitle “Disc 1” followed by long list of tracks and artists. Then under the subtitle “Disc 2” there is another long list of tracks with their artists.

The next section is “Product Information”. Here beside “Number of Discs” is the number 1!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I also dislike how they lump feedback/reviews of similar titles together. I believe it was under the listing for Godzilla: King of the Monsters that there are over 400 reviews for a disc that's not out yet. Most all of those are related to prior Godzilla releases.

Tony Bensley and Todd Erwin like this.
  4. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Was this for a pre-order? I just pre-ordered Apocalypse Now and saw the "once shipped" notice.

5. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    I think so ...
    These are two previously released ...
    upload_2019-8-15_18-7-34.

It may only be for this and similar titles
    here's what came up for me...
    upload_2019-8-15_18-15-48.

Only Godzilla can save us now ! ;)
    upload_2019-8-15_18-17-58.

It's a puzzlement ...

6. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    How about a positive Amazon experience? I opened my copy of the 3D Alita, and discovered that the tray which held the discs had a broken hinge. I contacted Amazon.ca on Monday of this week and they re-ordered it for me for free without requiring me to send the other one back. It arrived today (Thursday). This copy even had a slip case unlike the first one!

Tony Bensley likes this.
  7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    Positive experience: I ordered a tin of Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream Tuesday afternoon with free Prime shipping and it arrived yesterday morning.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Curious experience:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1H7V36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the above package, received it and then posted this review. Amazon is telling my they cannot allow it on their site but isn't being specific about why. Since this is about as innocuous as any review I've ever posted on Amazon or elsewhere, I'm completely perplexed. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's because I mentioned a lower price?

Powerful Speakers That Should Satisfy Most Residential Rooms

The Experience:
    I'm new to the Klipsch family but, coming from SVS, I had high expectations. I received the [advertised] RP 280F towers but was secretly hoping for the upgraded RP 800F's many others seemed to have received. I noted the supplier having changed from Acoustic Sound Design [mentioned in some previous reviews] to Sound Distributors, Inc which may explain this. But hold on. Now I see the same package offered here on Amazon again by Acoustic Sound Design and for about $80.00 less than what I paid a few weeks ago and without the surprise upgrade? This does not sit well, which is why I've subtracted a star. Nonetheless, I got what I was promised and at the price I agreed to pay, so i can't be too upset.

The Speakers:
    These speakers are excellent although not exactly mind blowing compared to the SVS Prime towers they are replacing. The highs are definitely more pronounced and clear. The increased sensitivity [87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V compared to 92 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter 1V, [SVS and Klipsch respectably] is seriously evident. That's not a typo in the sensitivity specs for the RP280F's. My understanding is they tend to inflate their sensitivity specs, even though their speakers are already among the best in class for sensitivity. If Amazon allows it, then here's an explanatory excerpt from Audioholics.
    ============================================================================================
    https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion
    Excerpt:
    What helps to make the RP-8000F an easier load than many other speakers is its above average sensitivity. I measured its sensitivity as 92.1 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That isn’t bad; it’s better than most speakers in this type and price class. However, it is significantly below what Klipsch specifies for it which is 98 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter. That is quadruple the sensitivity that I measured. Klipsch is using an in-room estimation of sensitivity that factors in a quarter-space environment over a greater distance. It is true that the in-room sensitivity would be increased, but I think that should be stated in their specs if that is their reasoning for their sensitivity rating. We've seen this discrepancy in other Klipsch products so it doesn't seem to be a statistical outlier in how the brand rates sensitivity of their products.
    ===========================================================================================
    I'm feeding them with an Acuras 200 WPC dedicated amp and they seem fine with that. I haven't been able to push them past maybe -5 dB for music and about reference [0dB] for movies, depending [of course] on the source and that's just the towers. The RP 450C is simply a monster in it's class. You won't be disappointed.

I doubt most would be disappointed with the RP280F's either. I like it loud and I'm certainly not.

Summary:
    Quality speakers. I think I'm just beginning to discover their full capabilities as I'm still well within the break-in period. I'm a tad disappointed in the particular deal I got but this cannot be blamed on anyone but me. I rolled the dice at the wrong time. Not that I think the RP 800F's are that much better. I did my research and as far as I can tell it's just a redesigned "vented" tweeter. For the price, I doubt you can beat this package.

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I didn’t know shaving cream came in tins. You sure it wasn’t an aerosol can or does an English accent creep into your writing on occasion?;)

10. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    ...Of course shaving cream comes in tins
    [​IMG] Now the delivery is the hard part ;) !

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

In this area they really don't need UPS, USPS or FedEx. Most of my purchases now are delivered directly by Amazon from the distribution center they built less than 10 miles from our home.

12. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    +1 and they deliver until at least 9pm. I was behind one of their vans (about the size of a Super Shuttle van) at 9pm as they were delivering...
    [​IMG]

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I moved some posts discussing speakers to a new thread.

14. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Last month I ordered US 4K when they offered it at $12.99. Then received notice that they had no idea when it would be shipped, if ever. Cancelled and paid the extra $2 for the BD. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The only downside is that they need to offer a method to hold shipments when you are going to be out of town. I try not to order anything from Amazon when I know we going to be away, but sometimes they have a sale I don't want to pass up. I end up texting my neighbor to pick up the package so it doesn't sit on our front porch for several days (or weeks), but would love to be able to hold delivery like we do for USPS.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  16. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    I have had a similar experience with Amazon on a couple of occasions whereby the disc was faulty or scratched in transit and I never had to return the disc and was sent a replacement and I live on the other side of the world. Customers need to realize that with ANY company,you will have an occasion problem regardless of what you order online. Amazon sell a massive range of goods not just dvds and blurays so there will always be a rare problem.Just accept it and be thankful that they exist as a company.After all everyone makes mistakes and if you are polite in your complaint,you will get a favourable response. No company is infallible and Amazon probably send out many thousands of orders every day. The number of complaints must be extremely small in comparison.

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    It’s not so much an English accent as it is English phrasing and terminology that creeps into my writing and speaking on occasion. Too much time spent watching BBC and reading Douglas Adams books I suppose. (As an aside, I’m from Arkansas but am often accused of having an east coast accent.)

I guess I should have called it a bowl of shaving cream instead of a tin, since that is how Taylor of Old Bond Street describes it.

A7D0F338-090F-4895-819D-C9C94AFE1B46.

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I ordered a 4K set of all three DaVinci Code movies for 25 pounds. It never arrived and Amazon UK says it is presumed lost. The order page gives me only one option of a refund. This set is now priced at 40 pounds so I don’t want a refund, I want it replaced. So I found the email contact us and informed them I want a replacement and would appreciate expedited delivery at their expense. We’ll see if they will do it.

I’m sad to say over the past year I’ve noticed several of my packages that are final mailed by USPS to have broken seals that would enable someone to see what’s in there. One time, one of three rechargeable batteries was missing. I suspect theft is occurring at our local USPS office.

Our local neighborhood app has people complaining about poor service and misdirected mail. I’ve talked to the postmaster once and got a distinct “I couldn’t care less” vibe from her. I have not been logging the broken seal packages but will not begin that.

bmasters9 and Tony Bensley like this.
  19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    When I posted about my missing order, I had just submitted the email. The page indicated I’d receive a reply with 12 hours. After my post here, I checked my mail expecting an automated response. What I got was a human reply apologizing for the inconvenience and informing me that an order is being shipped to me an will arrive by this coming Friday. That’s excellent customer service and I informed them of that.

20. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I have a shipment of about four orders that Amazon combined that is scheduled to be delivered today, but UPS tracking only shows that Amazon created a label on Sunday night with no other info available. UPS shows the same. Yet Amazon is absolutely certain that it will arrive before 8pm today.

The shipment is being shipped out of Amazon's facility in or around Tracy,CA, and these types of things happen more often at that facility than any other, at least in my experience.