Amazon Echo

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the heads-up Ron! You just saved me twenty buckaroos. :)
$20? How so?

The Dot was only discounted $10

If there is an additional $10 discount still going on for ordering via the Echo, I might just buy another Dot.

Let me know.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've been really tempted by the Echo at $140, but I haven't been able to justify it to the wife or myself. The Dot on the other hand...and paired with the Anker Premium Stereo speaker (the 20 watt one) it handles all the functions of the Echo for a lot less. Works well in our bedroom.

View media item 3663

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
I've been really tempted by the Echo at $140, but I haven't been able to justify it to the wife or myself. The Dot on the other hand...and paired with the Anker Premium Stereo speaker (the 20 watt one) it handles all the functions of the Echo for a lot less. Works well in our bedroom.

View media item 3663
That Anker speaker looks very nice for the price, David. Are there any bright lights on the unit? This would go in our bedroom, so it needs to be "light-free" while we sleep. I had to make a cover for the Lyrix speaker I'm currently using to block the annoying lights. The Lyrix sounds decent, but nowhere near as nice as our full sized Echo.

The full size Echo has a great sound, so the added price over the Dot + Anker isn't too bad a deal. Of course, I got my Echo during Amazon's pre-order exclusive to Prime customers for $99, but I have never seen them sold for that price since.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, the Echo has never sold for $99 since the beta introduction. Wish I bought several of them at that point....but who knew?

The great thing about the DOT is that it offers all the features of the Echo for less than 1/4 the price and you can buy a cheap speaker for it and still have the same benefits of the full-sized unit.

So happy you guys went for the DOT and are enjoying it. Now start automating your home!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I've been telling everyone about the Echo dot since I got two on black Friday weekend. I've convinced 3 people so far.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That Anker speaker looks very nice for the price, David. Are there any bright lights on the unit? This would go in our bedroom, so it needs to be "light-free" while we sleep. I had to make a cover for the Lyrix speaker I'm currently using to block the annoying lights. The Lyrix sounds decent, but nowhere near as nice as our full sized Echo.

The full size Echo has a great sound, so the added price over the Dot + Anker isn't too bad a deal. Of course, I got my Echo during Amazon's pre-order exclusive to Prime customers for $99, but I have never seen them sold for that price since.
Scott,

Here is a picture of the top of the speaker. There is an amber light on the power button and a blue light on the play button that indicates a connection. They stay on pretty much all the time the way I'm using it, but they are so small and seem to shine pretty much straight up. Hope that helps. For a small, inexpensive Bluetooth speaker, I'm really pleased with the sound.

IMG_0802.JPG

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, David. Those lights wouldn't be too bad. On the Lyrix I'm currently using, all the top buttons are lit up bright white all the time, and it lights up the entire room. I guess the only issue with the speaker is that Red Thing on top of it. ;) Go Habs!:lol:

Reactions: DavidJ

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
A friend got a Dot for Christmas. Her mother picked it up and sniffed it, thinking it was an air freshener. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks, David. Those lights wouldn't be too bad. On the Lyrix I'm currently using, all the top buttons are lit up bright white all the time, and it lights up the entire room. I guess the only issue with the speaker is that Red Thing on top of it. ;) Go Habs!:lol:
Hey, now...

It's been a bit of a slog for the Wings and your Habs are rolling.

So, I got a Philips Hue starter kit for Christmas. Now to get it working with Alexa and my Harmony remote.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Congrats. You are going to be very happy.

It's very easy to set up. You first set the lights up with the Hue Bridge and app on your smartphone/tablet

You then go into the Alexa/Echo app and add (I believe) a new Group. You add those lights to the group and whatever you end up naming that group will be your call word. For example, "Alexa, turn on (call word) lamps"

Let us know how you make out.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks. So far, so good. Experimenting with Routines, HomeKit, and IFTTT receipes trying to figure out the best ways to get them doing what I want.

It didn't take me long to want to add to the system. Went out an bought another white/color bulb, a two pack of white ambience floods and a Bloom as a bias light behind my TV. And I'd like more. It's a shame they are so stinking expensive. I'd to add five more bulbs.

Ron, do you use Alexa to do more than turn them on and off? Like changing brightness levels or setting scenes?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I do all of that, David.

Buying Hue lights is a huge investment.

Spent hundreds of dollars in the Home Theater adding strip lighting behind the screen and Blume bulbs to shine from the floor. Not to mention, more strip lighting for the stairs and under the home theater chairs. All for ambience.

Then, in the living room and bedrooms, added Philips Hue bulbs (non-color) just to turn on/off bright up/down with voice commands.

Shame on Philips for making this so expensive, but, they do give quite a sense of satisfaction once installed.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16