What's new

Amazon.com sends email to Wonka Preorders! (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
I have had Willy Wonka on preorder from Amazon.com for several weeks. I have not canceled it yet even though I am considering it. The lack of widescreen on the dvd must have generated such a rash of preorder cancellations that Amazon took steps to email people who have preordered this title from them. This is the first time I have ever heard of them doing this. It probably has something to do with them listing it on their site as widescreen, etc. Release the widescreen!! Here is the email I received:
Greetings from Amazon.com!
Thank you for your recent order of the much-anticipated 30th
Anniversary DVD Edition of "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory." We
are taking this opportunity to inform you of a change in the visual
specification for this DVD.
When Warner Home Video initially announced that this title was
available for pre-order, it was anticipated that "Willy Wonka" would
be in both the Widescreen anamorphic and Full Screen (Standard)
formats. We have recently learned, however, that this product will
now only be presented as Full Screen (Standard). Our catalog has been
updated.
We of course apologize for this discrepancy and for any resultant
disappointment. If you preferred the "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate
Factory 30th Anniversary Edition" DVD in the Widescreen anamorphic
presentation, we would of course understand if you wish to cancel this
item from your order. You can do this quickly and conveniently at any
time by clicking the "Your Account" link at the top of our web site,
or by visiting this URL:
http://www.amazon.com/youraccount
If, on the other hand, you are happy to receive the Full Screen
standard edition, we will ship it to you as soon as it becomes
available.
Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It makes good sense for Amazon to do this, and to their credit they realize that. There would no doubt be many furious customers, and they did this to prevent that.
On the other hand, I emailed CNL club - non-fav etailer in Canada - and several days after asking them to correct their web site, they have not done so. I am not surprised, of course, and continue to tell people that, once you check their policies and prices closely, you will be wiser to check somewhere else.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I have received a similar email a while back when I have pre-ordered something and the specs have changed from what they had listed at the time of the pre-order. So it certainly isn't a first for them but still shows their level of customer care.

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Why do they call it Full Screen (standard)?
I think some of the OAR friendly producers should start changing their press releases to say Original Theatre Format (standard), and modified TV format
They need to start showing people that 'full screen' isn't standard, otherwise they are just pandering to the masses.
I think even widescreen should be avoided, as it can conjure up images of black bars.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ I also believe amazon is doing this so they can get a realistic head count on preorder so they can place an approbiate order themselves, after all they don't want to get stuck with hundreds of unwanted discs.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
Also, by informing their customers and allowing them to cancel their pre-orders beforehand, Amazon is avoiding needing to pay for all the return-shipping costs they might have had to incur.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I guess they wanted to remain neutral, but I think they should've included the link to the petition for those customers who are going to be pissed about this. Since this might be the first mention some might've heard about Willy being full screen only.
------------------
Dear WB : Release Wonka in Widescreen!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I too was one of the ones who e-mail Amazon about the situation. It took them about two weeks to update the product listing, but at least they did it!! Hopefully now we can see that 11 go up!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why do they call it Full Screen (standard)?
*turns on record player and puts the needle down*
The DVD shows the full frame that is on the film instead of blocking off (or matting) the top and bottom to simulate the 1.85:1 flat aspect ratio the film was shown in theatrically. In the theater, an apature plate would block the top and bottom so that the picture would fit the theater screen. If it wasn't for this plate, the top and bottom would float on the floor and ceiling.
Ironically, the film is formatted to fit a theater screen!
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I'm very impressed and pleased that Amazon sent out this email!
Clearly, they did it to save themselves the hassle and expense of accepting returns on hundreds or even thousands of DVDs.
It is to their credit that they realize: The lack of a widescreen, anamorphic version on the DVD will cost sales!
Sadly, this is a level of enlightenment that has so far escaped WB....
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"
[Edited last by Jan Strnad on August 17, 2001 at 08:07 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks