Amazon.CA (Canadian Amazon.com) Questions!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Dec 2, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    Has anyone in USA ordered from Amazon.CA? On the coupon sites, they show the prices of DVDs, and they are significantly different.
    Think $90 for band of brothers from AMAZON.COM (USA) and only $55 on Amazon.CA. Both are listed as Region 1 (USA + Canada). Am I missing something or is it illegal for me to order from amazon.ca? I already did..total was $60 priority mail shipped. I feel like I stole it?
    Is there something wrong with the Canadian copy even though it's still region 1?!?
    -ELmO

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Nothing wrong with the Canadian one, and it's certainly not illegal to order from Canada. The difference is the exchange rate. Most of the discs sold in Canada have the same retail price in Canadian dollars as the US retail price (ie both are $29.99), but when the exchange is an extra 60%, US buyers save big time.

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

the DVDs themselves are for the most part the same. somtimes we will have a french alternate language track tacked on. also, sometimes the covers will have french on it. THAT is annoying. alot of Canadians complain about it, and some even resort to buying stuff from amazon.com. imagine VANILLA SKY on the cover, and underneath it reads (UN CIEL COULEUR VANILLE).
    there's numerous threads here that deal with it. Band of Brothers is safe. but you'll want to avoid any DVDs from new line, paramount, miramax, and alliance/atlantis. can't remember offhand the rest of them.

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The customer service at Amazon.ca sucks. It can't hold a candle to the U.S. counterpart. I was told my Band of Brothers would ship in 24 hours. A week later they were still telling me there were "technical problems." In reality, they had run out of the Band of Brothers sets, didn't know when they'd get a new shipment and they were worried I'd take my business elsewhere. They were right...I took my business elsewhere after I felt I'd been deceived.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

6. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

on the flipside, I just started ordering from .com within canada and it's great.

I got my cowboy bebop for a similar price as locally even after shipping with no taxes. It's going to be great for getting non bilingual covers as well.

They ship dvds out of canada, so no duty/taxes, and it got to me within a week.

7. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

So it seems the amazon.com is better than the canadian version..we will soon see. I asked for priority mail shipping (only $3 US) and it's supposed to arrive on December 13th. I don't care what they do I just want it by xmas. I know amazon.com, even if they are a day or two off, you can ask for reimbursement and they will send you an emailed $5-10 gift cert. I wonder what amazon.ca will do if I don't get it by X-mas. =D I live in Ohio which isn't too far from Canada anyways!

-ELmO

8. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

9. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

I agree, the fact that they were out of Band of Brothers has nothing to do with customer service. It's just that they were not expecting everyone and his dog from the states to order it from canada. They must have ordered the quantity they were expecting to sell according to their demographics in canada.

10. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I've ordered from them and I find them to be one of the better online retailers around. Future Shop and Chapters, that's another story.