Amazon Blu-ray deals generally mean losing the slipcover. Do You mind?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have noticed a trend for quite some time...

It's great that Amazon drops the price of Blu-ray products.

However, it seems that the downside of the price drop is that you don't get the slipcover you normally would have received if you paid full price.

One recent example is the Paramount Sapphire Series titles from a year or two back. At full price, titles like American Beauty arrived in gorgeous cardboard slipcovers. Now that the titles are discounted, the slipcovers are absent if you order from Amazon.

I just ordered Birdman, which dropped down to $13.00 this past week. It's in transit as I type this, but I bet it won't have the deluxe cardboard slipcover that I saw at Costco a few days ago.

In the end, it's all about the movie...I know.

However, it's sad to see that the slipcovers get pulled off these releases once they drop in price on Amazon.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it's the price or Amazon that determines if there's a slipcase, I've always assumed it's the age of the disc. Generally, the slipcases seem to get dropped by the studio after a few months or a year and so the longer the disc is available, the cheaper it'll get (at least on sale) and by that point, the studio has dropped the slipcase.

Since it's only about 2 months old, I would imagine that your copy of Birdman will have a slipcase.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I don't pay any attention to slip covers. However, i just received "Saving Private Ryan" Sapphire Series blu-ray in the mail today from Amazon and it came with the slipcover. It was discounted to $15. Not sure what determines when a slipcover is available and when not. I just assumed it had more to do with what the studio provided to the distributor.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys certainly bring to light other factors that might determine if the slipcover is included or not.

Let me see what happens with Birdman. I saw it with a really beautiful slipcover at Costco the other day. Let's see if Amazon includes that slipcover (the title is still brand new) when it reaches me door, discounted. Will let you know late Wednesday.

And, certainly, I respect those of you that don't collect slipcovers. I am not a collector either, but I do feel that on the shelf, those titles with a slipcover generally stand out. Think they look nicer as well.

It's all personal taste, certainly.

Ejanss

Effects Supervisor
BANNED
Real Name
EricJ
All things being equal, I'd rather have them new, so I can throw away the slipcover myself.

(Unless it's a 3D title with a lenticular cover, that I can detach and put inside the case.)

You do know they have no earthly purpose past the retail sale, right?

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Aren't slipcovers primarily a security issue ? I have been told that DVD / blu theft is quite common with thieves who can quickly slit the side of a shrink- wrapped case and slip the disc into their bag with surprising swiftness. I always assumed slipcovers were there to impede or at least slow down this kind of activity. Obviously, Amazon would have no need for such security.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Makes no difference to me. I trash them immediately. What bothers me is those "eco-friendly" cases that eliminate 50-80 percent of the plastic protecting the disk. Means I have to buy cases that DO protect the disks. The "eco-friendly" cases go right to the trash. Anyone want to tell me how they protect the environment?

Reactions: Flashgear

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
First thing I do after taking the shrink wrap off is toss the slipcover into the trash, so no it doesn't bother me in the least.

David Weicker

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have all the slip covers for my discs in a box.

I do not like the way they look on a shelf (I hate all the 'special' packaging - digibooks, steelcases, BOJs, etc.)

However I keep all of it in case I ever sell a title. I'm a big believer in supplying someone with the original packaging.

Ejanss

Effects Supervisor
BANNED
Real Name
EricJ
Rob W said:
Aren't slipcovers primarily a security issue ? I have been told that DVD / blu theft is quite common with thieves who can quickly slit the side of a shrink- wrapped case and slip the disc into their bag with surprising swiftness. I always assumed slipcovers were there to impede or at least slow down this kind of activity. Obviously, Amazon would have no need for such security.
That was why they banned the old "zip-slitter" DVD opener, back in the birth-of-DVD days, that cut through that top sticker level, but most slipcovers are open at the top anyway, so what's the point?

No, slipcovers are there to look good on the front, and more clearly display the sales-description copy on the back--the back of the case is either artistic for the shelf or identical to the ad-copy slipcover--and just there for the point-of-purchase attraction. And, like most relationships, once you've hooked them, there's no more need for the selling. ;)

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I quite like the slip covers but wouldn't care if I received an item without it if the price was right.

I think Travis hit in on head .. I can't imagine Amazon staff would bother removing a slip case just to stuff the naked disc in an envelope! They ship what their supplier send them.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Real Name
Charles Smith
What they're saving is a cost difference to them. Period.

They in all probability aren't saving the environment from anything, and they most certainly aren't saving the discs from damage.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
What they're saving is a cost difference to them. Period.

They in all probability aren't saving the environment from anything, and they most certainly aren't saving the discs from damage.
I have no doubt that the studios are using cheaper cases to save money but their greed still has the positive side effect of conserving resources.

MarkA

Second Unit
I think slipcovers are a waste of time and money (except I save the 3D ones). They are the same artwork as on the front anyway. I would rather have the inner page that they used to include on the left side.

Craig Beam

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
When space becomes an issue.... the slipcovers gotta go. Sure, some of 'em look nice, but I have a self-imposed limit: I can only own enough DVDs/Blu-rays to fill my shelves, so I've gotta conserve space wherever I can.

Reactions: MarkA

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ree