Amazon announces Amazon Fire TV

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    So this outputs 1080p, but Amazon Instant Video content is still 720p right? Just upconverted through Fire TV?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    So...Roko, ATV and this, comes up to $300-ish...Still have to pay to use apps that have free versions on a computer, sad.The new $265 Lenovo IdeaCentre for me.My old one(5 years old) only supports 2.0.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If it takes more than a month for HBO Go to come to this platform I will eat a (cake filled) hat. It is already supported on Tablets so it's a no brainer for them and they likely weren't part of the secret beta.

Vudu has chosen not to support Kindle Tablets but I think you can get the app by sideloading from Google Play. I believe sideloading is supported on the TV but we're not 100% sure yet and formatting could be funky.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Tv showed up and is running great, it was pre-registered to me, all I had to do was plug in power and hdmi and give it my wifi pass code and it foound all my stuff..One issue: There doesnt seem to be any way to turn it off! Wouldn't be a big deal if it was using rechargeable batteries but the remote and controller both use regular ones.The controller is a LOUD piece of junk. Avoid.Sev Zero is a dog of a game. If I hadn't gotten it for free with my controller I'd want my $6 back. Avoid.App choices are otherwise still limited. Pandora and Amazon media work great tho. I have not tried surround sound and likely will not, this is hooked right to a flat panel.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Looking forward to hearing further comments about your Fire TV, Sam.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Full app store on device as well as web

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    At first I didn't realize how bad this is. I just read that if you do a voice search while using the Netflix app, it only shows results for Amazon's content even if the the title is also available in Netflix. I am surprised Netflix would allow their service on Amazon's device with that going on.

-Keith

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I may get one of these for my mother-in-law who is apparently so tech-illiterate that she couldn't get the hang of using a Roku LT to access Amazon Prime streaming. The voice search (and speed) will probably help a lot in her case... or so I'm thinking.

She's not doing NF at this point, so don't need voice search for that (so far) -- mainly just Amazon Prime content.

And then, I'll swap w/ her for the Roku LT to be used somewhere in our house instead -- we don't have any dedicated streaming boxes ourselves (and mainly just use a BD player for some Amazon Prime streaming in our livingroom HT).

_Man_

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Cameron Yee likes this.
  12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I couldn't pass up the $19 price. If anything, I can attach it to the TV that we usually have to hook a laptop to in order to watch something online.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I just got a Fire TV a few weeks ago for my birthday. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself, but I've enjoyed having it. I have an Apple TV on our main set and the Fire TV in the bedroom. I'm kind of bummed to see they have made it essentially obsolete this fast.

14. 2 things that are stupid about this...1) The free month of Netflix is for new subscribers only, and there is ALWAYS a free month of Netflix offer for new subscribers...2) Instead of getting it for $39 then getting the free month of Prime, sign up for a free month of Prime then get it for $19. The end result is the same but you just paid $20 less.Real slick, Amazon

Cameron Yee likes this.
  15. ...and now it's not shipping until Jan 16th. Nice.

16. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    I picked up the Fire TV stick last week at Best Buy for $25. I bought it primarily for Amazon Prime. So far, I'm very pleased with it.Prime streaming works perfectly, no buffering.I've also installed the apps for Prime music, Netflix and Crackle. I have it connected to my receiver (Yamaha). Picture and sound quality are excellent. I'm watching a movie now as I post this.I don't use it for games, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.As I mentioned above, I bought it for Prime. I have a Logitech Revue that I was using for Prime. While the Revue is still a fun gadget, it's slow when using the browser for Prime. For me, the Fire TV stick was worth the purchase just for Prime alone, even if I had paid the regular $40 price. At $25, it was a no-brainer.I installed the Netflix app for the 30 day free trial. Content will determine whether I continue a paid membership.Again, I'm VERY pleased with the Fire TV stick.