What's new

Amazon and pre orders (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not been experiencing the same issues with Amazon that others are describing in this thread. In the case of the UHD of Jaws, I "pre-ordered" it last week when the price dropped below $20. I did receive a few email updates with different delivery estimates, but ended up getting the title on Friday after the last email update said it would arrive on Saturday. Otherwise, orders have been showing up close to the promised dates when the order is placed.

FYI, I rarely pre-order anymore, so the case with Jaws was rare for me. Instead, I have been waiting for the inevitable price drops that usually happen a few weeks or months after a title has hit the street. For example, the UHD of Top Gun was released just a few weeks ago, and dropped to $15 today... and I subsequently placed an order.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Unfortunately, not all Blurays I tried ordering True History of Kelly Gang and received their standard message "this title does not ship to USA". Not sure how they are determining which titles are available for shipment to USA?
Was it from Amazon proper or a third party seller? Third party sellers often don't ship internationally.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Amazon isn't all bad. I had purchased a replacement remote control for my Panasonic Blu Ray player. The remote doesn't work. I requested a refund and they took care of it right away. I don't even have to send it back.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The vast majority of experiences I have had with Amazon during the pandemic have been positive. One single item last month arrived four days later than its original delivery estimate, but otherwise things have been pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Even the one that came late was shipped out from Amazon on time, and UPS took their time delivering it.

I pre-ordered a book back in September last year when it was announced with release date delivery of June 2 this year. When the pandemic started, Amazon sent me an email saying the shipment might be delayed because they were prioritizing essentials first, which is fine. Later, they updated my delivery date to June 4. But I still ended up receiving the item on June 2. It appears that they are giving themselves extra lead time and then not actually needing it, so they end up looking good when it arrives on the release date.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Received four blu rays from Amazon.UK today and on a Sunday yet! Meanwhile my Amazon U.S. orders are in limbo. Go figure! :(

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, not all Blurays I tried ordering True History of Kelly Gang and received their standard message "this title does not ship to USA". Not sure how they are determining which titles are available for shipment to USA?

Preorder are still hit or miss. The specialty studios esp seem to block a lot of item until after release date (SC, Arrow, Eureka, Network).. Disney and Sony titles seem OK for preorder

Even stranger -- the DVD of Kelly Gang appears eligible, the BD not.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't know whether COVID has anything to do with it, but with just 9 days to the June 16, 2020 release date for the "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" Blu-ray and DVD sets, Amazon.ca STILL only has the DVD option available for pre-order. Our son ended up going through wowhd.ca to order the Blu-ray edition for a Father's Day gift. On a somewhat related note, I haven't been able to find out whether wowhd automatically price adjusts their customers preorders if the price drops before the release date like Amazon normally does, and the above set has had several of those!

CHEERS! :)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
That's 100% because Ford v. Ferrari is a Disney release. As has been covered extensively around the forum in various threads for the last few years, Disney and Amazon have been in a feud since about late 2016, which has resulted In Amazon not stocking new releases from Disney. This has been well-documented and you can probably find the old thread dedicated specifically to this subject. If you want Ford v. Ferrari, other stores have it ready and available. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the pandemic and everything to do with Amazon's blackout of Disney titles.

I’m familiar with all of that. But in the past, it has applied almost exclusively to the listing of titles for pre-order purposes, and sometimes a small delay (a matter of a few days) before it’s in stock after release. But now...how many months has it been, and they’ve never once carried the title. This is the first such blatant exclusion I’ve noticed, not to mention, for a new Oscar nominated release.

I’m fully aware that there are other purchase options. I’m not being “held hostage” by Amazon, just commenting about such an outrageous exemption of one very noteworthy title. Meanwhile, Amazon carries plenty other Disney titles.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not Blu, but Amazon US doesn't even have Modern Family S11 available for sale. Meanwhile, Best Buy will have it to me today, a day before street date. Must be the result of that Amazon/Disney feud mentioned a couple posts above.

On the Blu side, Doctor Who S12 is due out tomorrow. I have it pre-ordered, but it's no longer available for sale through Amazon, so we'll see if it even makes it here by Thursday when it's supposedly due.

As for Amazon UK... the discs I ordered on May 20 say they'll be here by June 16. Hopefully, they'll ship soon.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Was it from Amazon proper or a third party seller? Third party sellers often don't ship internationally.
The title was ordered from Amazon.uk not a third party seller. I recently tried to pre-order "True Lies" in Bluray from Amazon Spain and again was advised this title does not ship to the USA. I previously received a message on the Amazon.uk site that many titles were now eligible to ship to my zip code. Know way of knowing which titles are available for shipping to USA you just have to try to place an order to see what results.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Seems to be a moot point now with the US item up for preorder

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
It's not Blu, but Amazon US doesn't even have Modern Family S11 available for sale. Meanwhile, Best Buy will have it to me today, a day before street date. Must be the result of that Amazon/Disney feud mentioned a couple posts above.

On the Blu side, Doctor Who S12 is due out tomorrow. I have it pre-ordered, but it's no longer available for sale through Amazon, so we'll see if it even makes it here by Thursday when it's supposedly due.

As for Amazon UK... the discs I ordered on May 20 say they'll be here by June 16. Hopefully, they'll ship soon.
I too have Doctor Who S12 on pre-order. If it doesn’t come Thursday as promised, it will be my last pre-order with Amazon

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I have not been experiencing the same issues with Amazon that others are describing in this thread. In the case of the UHD of Jaws, I "pre-ordered" it last week when the price dropped below $20. I did receive a few email updates with different delivery estimates, but ended up getting the title on Friday after the last email update said it would arrive on Saturday. Otherwise, orders have been showing up close to the promised dates when the order is placed.

FYI, I rarely pre-order anymore, so the case with Jaws was rare for me. Instead, I have been waiting for the inevitable price drops that usually happen a few weeks or months after a title has hit the street. For example, the UHD of Top Gun was released just a few weeks ago, and dropped to $15 today... and I subsequently placed an order.

I'm here reading how everyone already has their Jaws copy while I'm still waiting for mine. I had it pre-ordered on Amazon as well when the price dropped. Now it's out of stock and I have no idea when it might ship!:angry::angry:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm having a bigger issue with the USPS than I am Amazon. I have far too many packages that make it to Detroit in a couple of days then sit there for another 4-7 days before they're delivered. I understand there is a pandemic, but it's June 10th now and things should be better for package delivery services like UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS as people have eased up on their panic shopping and illnesses in Michigan are down.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm having a bigger issue with the USPS than I am Amazon. I have far too many packages that make it to Detroit in a couple of days then sit there for another 4-7 days before they're delivered. I understand there is a pandemic, but it's June 10th now and things should be better for package delivery services like UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS as people have eased up on their panic shopping and illnesses in Michigan are down.
Dear Robert ... you seem to be assuming that everything is back to normal within the US Postal Service and the other shipping businesses you mention. I'm afraid that's far from the case. I think we'll be dealing with the repercussions of COVID-19 for a long time, and patience is going to be required. In fact, things may well get much worse over the summer, given all the close contact people have had during the many protest marches and the possibly premature opening of businesses. I ship a lot of stuff on eBay, and understand your frustration, since I'm facing the same problem. But at this point all we can do is our best, as are the USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex personnel. (Having long appreciated your calm reasonableness as a moderator, I'm betting you know this, and are just venting. I'd suggest a couple margaritas and a re-viewing of one of your favorite comedy classics. SOME LIKE IT HOT always works for me!) All the best, Poder

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dear Robert ... you seem to be assuming that everything is back to normal within the US Postal Service and the other shipping businesses you mention. I'm afraid that's far from the case. I think we'll be dealing with the repercussions of COVID-19 for a long time, and patience is going to be required. In fact, things may well get much worse over the summer, given all the close contact people have had during the many protest marches and the possibly premature opening of businesses. I ship a lot of stuff on eBay, and understand your frustration, since I'm facing the same problem. But at this point all we can do is our best, as are the USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex personnel. (Having long appreciated your calm reasonableness as a moderator, I'm betting you know this, and are just venting. I'd suggest a couple margaritas and a re-viewing of one of your favorite comedy classics. SOME LIKE IT HOT always works for me!) All the best, Poder
Nevermind, I'm not going to respond to you except to say you're off-base if that's the impression you got from my prior post.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Nevermind, I'm not going to respond to you except to say you're off-base if that's the impression you got from my prior post.
My apologies. My only intention was to sympathize and praise. It appears that the exact opposite has occurred. If this is so, please feel free to delete my comment. (I do have friends working in the USPS Postal System, and so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to criticism of them. I know how hard they're working, while trying to maintain Social Distancing.) Again, I wish you nothing but the best. Poder

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My apologies. My only intention was to sympathize and praise. It appears that the exact opposite has occurred. If this is so, please feel free to delete my comment. (I do have friends working in the USPS Postal System, and so perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to criticism of them. I know how hard they're working, while trying to maintain Social Distancing.) Again, I wish you nothing but the best. Poder
Well, I'm not going to delete your post, but I wanted you to know that I disagree with much of it as I wasn't venting with anger which your post implied. Furthermore, I've never drank alcohol so that rubbed me the wrong way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks