Amazon and pre orders

Brian Husar

Second Unit
What is it with Amazon and their 4K releases? I preordered Jaws as soon as it was announced, and I was suppose to get it Thursday, only to be told it was delayed and no further info. I looked at the main page for the disc and Amazon has it “currently unavailable we don’t know if this title will be back in stock” and that happened on day of release. Thankfully Zia Records by me had it and it’s on it’s way today, but this seems to be happening more and more and Amazon.

Attachments

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Amazon's shipping was becoming very problematic before the pandemic, and now it's even worse. They rightfully directed their resources to providing first priority to medical and cleaning supplies, but they have fallen back on using the pandemic for every excuse when a package is late, even beyond their already delayed shipping dates.

I hate to say it, but the pandemic is the excuse Amazon needed. It's going to be years before they stop using it. FWIW, I have not had one package from Amazon arrive on time since this started.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I had the same thing happen and cancelled the order. Then, I ordered too late from Best Buy, and they are showing shipping delayed for my order.
As far as preorders, I have stopped using Amazon completely, and, when ordering far enough ahead of time from Best Buy, I seem to receive the product on Saturday before the Tuesday release date.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Shipping is slower and that maybe a result of third party sellers not so much the surge in on line buying caused by the pandemic. I purchased a Region-Free Panasonic UB 420 from Bombay Electronics which was shipped by Amazon. The unit will arrive 11 days after purchase. I purchased the all region player on a Saturday with Amazon shipping the player the following Thursday.

Reactions: Brian Husar

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Try ordering discs from Amazon U.K. They flat out won’t mail it.
That is true and disappointing most if not all Amazon International sites are now not shipping to USA. Independent sellers will ship to USA so if you are looking for a specific title try Ebay or Amazon.USA.

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andy Budgell
That is true and disappointing most if not all Amazon International sites are now not shipping to USA. Independent sellers will ship to USA so if you are looking for a specific title try Ebay or Amazon.USA.
Amazon UK are shipping to Canada and the US again...

Brian Husar

Second Unit
I just canceled my preorder on Columbia Classics and switched to Zia Records, also I am supporting local by doing that.

Brian Husar

Second Unit
I had the same thing happen and cancelled the order. Then, I ordered too late from Best Buy, and they are showing shipping delayed for my order.
As far as preorders, I have stopped using Amazon completely, and, when ordering far enough ahead of time from Best Buy, I seem to receive the product on Saturday before the Tuesday release date.
Not using Amazon any more for pre orders

Reactions: lark144

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Actually, Amazon.UK has started shipping to the U.S. again. Although perhaps it depends on what section of the country you live in. I live in Los Angeles. Since the pandemic, I've received six discs from Amazon.UK and have four more on the way.

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Delivery service from Amazon in the U.S. has really deteriorated since the pandemic. I have three separate packages due from Amazon and all of them are running late. One of them doesn't even have a tracking number!!! Another one arrived at the carrier facility in my town on June 2 and I was told it was "out for delivery" yet today is June 6 and it still hasn't arrived. I'm waiting till Tuesday and then if it hasn't arrived, asking for a replacement be sent out or perhaps a refund.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I don't know what's up with Amazon. I have two separate orders I placed a week ago, for items listed as "in stock," but neither has shipped. Both have been marked as "preparing for shipping" for days.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Are you talking about making new pre-orders or getting items already ordered shipped? I know some preorders specifically from certain studios are still being blocked.

I've received 4 preorders from AmazonUK I made Jan - March pretty much in the delivery window I was given. I paid for AGS shipping and each item was upgraded to Priority shipping. Though the items shipped a week late, they arrived about when I thought they would other than the fact that 3 of the actual release dates and therefore Est Delivery Dates were moved back.

I made new order with 8 items (7 current and 1 preorder) aMay 9 when they reopened new orders, but only Priority shipping. The 1st 7 arrived May 15 and my Onward 3D is due Monday. It would have come yesterday except it arrived in Cincinnati about 6 hrs too late.
The Onward 3D delivery date from 2-3 weeks ago was June 4-8 which was pushed back the week prerelease to June 8-12, but it still looks like June 8 will be the day.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Are you talking about making new pre-orders or getting items already ordered shipped? I know some preorders specifically from certain studios are still being blocked.

I've received 4 preorders from AmazonUK I made Jan - March pretty much in the delivery window I was given. I paid for AGS shipping and each item was upgraded to Priority shipping. Though the items shipped a week late, they arrived about when I thought they would other than the fact that 3 of the actual release dates and therefore Est Delivery Dates were moved back.

I made new order with 8 items (7 current and 1 preorder) aMay 9 when they reopened new orders, but only Priority shipping. The 1st 7 arrived May 15 and my Onward 3D is due Monday. It would have come yesterday except it arrived in Cincinnati about 6 hrs too late.
The Onward 3D delivery date from 2-3 weeks ago was June 4-8 which was pushed back the week prerelease to June 8-12, but it still looks like June 8 will be the day.
No, just one of the sellers on there that I've been buying from for the past year. Just tried it again and no shipping.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
No, just one of the sellers on there that I've been buying from for the past year. Just tried it again and no shipping.
3rd party do still seem to be mostly blocked.

The whole Amazon, FBA, Marketplace still confuses me why they are handled so differently. I barely use the latter in the US and almost never international. I think my 5 attempts have ended up with 3 claims for wrong items, incomplete items (Used sold as New and missing substantial portions).

I attempted to buy the Complete Monty Python DVD set a few years ago and ended up getting 3 discs out of the 21 it was supposed to have --weirdest part was having a UK Marketplace seller ship from Shepherdsville KY. I sort of expected that one to be wrong since it was supposedly OOP selling for high $100+ and this item was still at what should have been MSRP. I just checked and that set now has a pricetag of £445 on Amazon MP (guessing not too many buyers) though that's not close to the £3000 it once was offered at in 2017 (or the bargain basement £2600 Used set)

Last edited:

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Agree. Things are getting worse, not better, over time. USPS shipping is really bad right now. I know everyone is trying to limit the numbers of workers at hubs and warehouses for safety reasons. I think it's the new normal for now. Don't see anything changing until we have a vaccine or the virus mutates to a non-virulent form, which I doubt.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've already avoided Amazon since last May when I cancelled my Prime because of poor packaging. I basically now pre-order most of my US stuff from BullMoose with the frequent pre-orders at Diabolik for Arrow titles and large boxsets. Before the pandemic, Amazon was already a nightmare to pre-order MOD titles from and it mindboggles me why anyone would pre-order WAC titles for example from Amazon since they never get them out at launch date and seem to be the only retailer with that problem as I've never had the same problems with stores like BestBuy, Walmart, or BullMoose when pre-ordering MOD titles.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Amazon has had steadily increasing problems with UHD's, even BD's, for at least a couple of years. COVID has made it worse, but allowing for that, other issues remain. Many times the COVID factor doesn't seem a problem at all, even for non-essential items, so that excuse is out the window. My pre-order for 'Jaws' originally indicated an arrival date of this past Thursday (release +2), then was changed to Saturday (today). Now it has been bumped all the way to NEXT Saturday.

Amazon has become too big for its own good, and the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. One small example is the 'Ford v Ferrari' UHD. They STILL do not stock that disc, and never have. It's available once in a while from 3rd party sellers, but the price is too high. Amazon seems to have no interest whatsoever in stocking it. But then, I doubt that anyone at Amazon knows a thing about it. I've given up ever trying to contact them...it's a fool's errand.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has become too big for its own good, and the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. One small example is the 'Ford v Ferrari' UHD. They STILL do not stock that disc, and never have. It's available once in a while from 3rd party sellers, but the price is too high. Amazon seems to have no interest whatsoever in stocking it. But then, I doubt that anyone at Amazon knows a thing about it. I've given up ever trying to contact them...it's a fool's errand.
That's 100% because Ford v. Ferrari is a Disney release. As has been covered extensively around the forum in various threads for the last few years, Disney and Amazon have been in a feud since about late 2016, which has resulted In Amazon not stocking new releases from Disney. This has been well-documented and you can probably find the old thread dedicated specifically to this subject. If you want Ford v. Ferrari, other stores have it ready and available. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the pandemic and everything to do with Amazon's blackout of Disney titles.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithi87