What's new

Amazon Add-On Items? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know there's a vendor feedback forum, but the last post there is July so I'm posting here.

For the first time in a long time, Amazon has degraded their service. I have Prime and could order just about anything via Prime. Not so anymore. They have Add-On items now. I presume they are lower priced items. They will only be shipped in an order or $25 or more or via subscribe and save.

I had recently changed my subscribe and save of Greenies Pill Pockets from the 8th to the 1st and thought it would ship on October 1st. No, they changed it to November 1st. So I go in to order the item and find I can't order it without spending $25.

Amazon has just decreased the value of my Prime membership drastically. I wonder how many items are like this? So far, have not been using my Prime for anything but shipping. If that is being limited, I'm not sure I'll remain in Prime.

I have never abused Prime, though I admit that when I order an item, usually a blu-ray, I don't worry about trying to order something else. I have never intentionally ordered items separately just to screw with them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not run into that situation yet, Johnny. I do occasionally find an item on Amazon offered by a third party that does not fall under the Prime free shipping, but I expect that if it's not coming directly from Amazon.

I still find value in Prime, as we also use the video streaming service that is offered as part of the membership. Without that additional perk, I'm not sure I would pay for the membership, either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've bought a couple of things in the new add-on category. I don't have Prime, so it's no change to my perception of service, and possibly makes for better service if it adds more items to the free shipping category (with $25 min purchase)I thought the items were just those that were both inexpensive, small, and lightweight. They free shipping if bundled with a larger purchase. One I bought was a Dremel bit at $3.50.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had my first encounter with it recently when I tried to order some Tassimo T-discs. Not a fan.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't "get" the idea of add-ons either.

I have never been a Prime member though. I always order "free over $25" anyway. The only time I don't is when it is appreciably less expensive through a 3rd party. One thing that does irk me, why does Amazon not allow combined shipping from 3rd parties? $3.99 per item is a bit extreme. And one reason Amazon is my 3rd option in many cases.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
I thought the items were just those that were both inexpensive, small, and lightweight. They free shipping if bundled with a larger purchase. One I bought was a Dremel bit at $3.50.
I think that's what the add ons are going to be, small and inexpensive.
schan1269 said:
I don't "get" the idea of add-ons either.

I have never been a Prime member though. I always order "free over $25" anyway. The only time I don't is when it is appreciably less expensive through a 3rd party. One thing that does irk me, why does Amazon not allow combined shipping from 3rd parties? $3.99 per item is a bit extreme. And one reason Amazon is my 3rd option in many cases.
What bothered me the most is that I did not see any option to go ahead and purchase the item except via the $25 total order. Maybe I missed it.

I'm to be looking at how this affects me this coming year. Prime is no longer a slam-dunk renewal for me.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Haven't really run into any issues with prime yet. The only small item I've bought recently is K-cups though, had no issue getting free two day shipping with those.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have ordered several "add-on" items already (on Amazon/UK). Often the "new and used" page of the item shows more options, always more expensive (especially caused by the shipping costs).

I like the idea of inexpensive, relatively small, items being offered to get sent to you "in another box", so to say.

It's a bit irritating inded if you don't have another item to enable the buy immediately, but that's mainly a matter of time.
Before they introduced the concept, these things were more expensive (as I can check in practice in several cases in which I ordered it before).

Cees

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The reason I reacted to finding the add-on item was because it was an item I had ordered, via prime, less than a month ago. Now it's only an add-on item. I'm keeping my mind open on whether this is an improvement or not. A few days ago I found some dremel mandrels which are tiny, inexpensive items. They were add-on, but since I was ordering something else, it worked out.

What would improve the add-on idea, would be if I could place the add-on in my basket and as soon as I had accumulated enough purchases, the add-on would ship automatically. Or it would be nice if I could add the add-on to a blu-ray pre-order.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I must be missing something about "add-on"...

No Prime here...and will never buy into it.

I bought some reciprocating saw blades and gator blades for a weedeater. Both of those were add-on.

I put both of them(they were around $16 together) with a pre-order for Tied and another BD. The shipping BD was used, fulfillment by Amazon, for $5.

The original three items ($21) showed up in separate packages from different locations. The pre-order(two weeks out) made it over the $25, so shipping for everything was free.

Tied and the BD together were $24.99. So the add-ons are what pushed it over $25.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Johnny Angell said:
For the first time in a long time, Amazon has degraded their service. I have Prime and could order just about anything via Prime. Not so anymore. They have Add-On items now. I presume they are lower priced items. They will only be shipped in an order or $25 or more or via subscribe and save.
This ... "could order just about anything via Prime" stuff is completely incorrect and has been incorrect for many years.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
rich_d said:
This ... "could order just about anything via Prime" stuff is completely incorrect and has been incorrect for many years.

99% of what I ordered from Amazon has been Prime eligible. The last thing I can remember that wasn't, was my Samsung TV. Even that got free two-day shipping (I'm a little fuzzy on the two-day). Free shipping on the TV, but they didn't call it Prime.

I would imagine if I ordered a set of dumbbells, they wouldn't be Prime. I've always known there were exceptions, not everything could be Prime. Certainly many, maybe most, of the 3rd party sellers are not Prime. But my first statement "could order just about anything via Prime" indicates that not everything is Prime so I consider it to be a correct statement.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got a Prime membership because I wanted to try the Amazon streaming video service. It turns out that I use the Kindle Prime book rental service far more than I do video streaming so I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth with with expedited shipping as a free bonus.I would estimate that I order from Amazon 25 times per year and can't remember the last item that wasn't Prime eligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks