What's new

Amazing Race : Season 28 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't see a thread for this yet...

Not a lot to say early on other than I fear a number of these teams will annoy me. These are Social Media people, who are most likely attention seekers (not all but some seem to be). I'm not sure which all male team it was, perhaps Kurt and Broadie, who was yelling things attempting to be funny numerous times. And Cole and Sheri (the red team). What was up with him standing there crying after getting the call, like he was going to miss his family - then he winds up going on the race with his Mom!

I didn't quite get why the started the race the way they did - making everyone 'race' to fly to Mexico. Then they clearly held them all in a waiting area until everyone arrived before 'officially' starting the race.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
They all seem like pretty self absorbed people at the moment, but we'll see. Can't say I have seen a YouTube posting from any of them. Guess it is just not my world. Time already to boot off the two teams who considered taking the time penalty ON THE VERY FIRST CHALLENGE. That doesn't bode well for their success. And I agree, what was with the crying? It certainly didn't look like tears of joy!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This seemed like a bad idea right from the get-go.

And I'll bet that it plays out as a bad idea in terms of the overall season--both in how interesting and fun it is to watch and in the all-important ratings.

Normally sane people get soaked into believing that social media is all anyone cares about any more. I beg to differ.

Gimmick casting rarely works on these types of shows.

The only way I think it gets built-in ratings is if they did an entire cast of NFL cheerleaders...or Maxim models...or, erm...you get the idea. :D

My wife and I LOVE the Amazing Race. But I'm doubting this season is going to be any good. But, I've been wrong before...(I think)...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
What country is Switzerland in? What language do they speak? "Swiss?"

Do any of these contestants even have an education beyond 3rd grade? Amazed that some of them can even function in the world.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I'm starting to come around on this season. A few teams are emerging that I quite like, and the 'show-mance' between Blair and Brodie should be fun to follow.
I am also fascinated that YouTube is creating an entire category of celebrities that are recognized around the world, all of whom are completely unknown to me.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the whole fauxlebrity thing either. Then again, I'm not using youtube for most of my content like kids are these days.

So maybe they aren't fauxlebrities and are actual celebrities.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
People who get paid by Youtube for their videos being watched by their fanbases are constantly striving to produce content that will bring more attention to their videos, so it can be odd to watch them go about their lives almost living in a fish bowl of sorts on social media. It's not for everyone, and not everyone can produce interesting content that produces fans and followers and subscribers. It's low-cost entertainment, but if you can build that brand, it can pay off well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Now that's what I watch The Amazing Race for... spectacular places and things I would have loved to visit and done when I was younger but probably never would now. The French alps sequence was breathtaking.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now that's what I watch The Amazing Race for... spectacular places and things I would have loved to visit and done when I was younger but probably never would now. The French alps sequence was breathtaking.

+1

I was SURE it would be a non-elimination leg, too...due to all the extenuating factors like wind, etc. But, nope. Goodbye, eye candy... :(

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had thought about sitting it out for this season's TAR, but yeah, I got sucked back in... dammit! :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member

The French alps stuff was beautiful. Some of it selfie stick filming, but there was also a lot of helicopter photography. The Amazing Race must have an amazing budget. :)

Some of the paragliding stuff was funny, major screw ups where they didn't catch any wind. Even the ones who did, wow, something I would never attempt. Just floating thousands of feet in the air, hoping Mother Nature cooperates.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
People who get paid by Youtube for their videos being watched by their fanbases are constantly striving to produce content that will bring more attention to their videos, so it can be odd to watch them go about their lives almost living in a fish bowl of sorts on social media. It's not for everyone, and not everyone can produce interesting content that produces fans and followers and subscribers. It's low-cost entertainment, but if you can build that brand, it can pay off well.

Yeah, there are some people I follow and enjoying watching on YouTube, like the Angry Video Game Nerd, Nostalgia Critic, and AniMat, among a few others. It definitely does not look easy to do, with the hardest part is having thick skin.

As for this season, I considered sitting out this season, as I was not a fan of the last gimmick season with the dating couples. But after watching the first 2 episodes (the Mexico and 1st Colombia legs), let's just say, I will definitely watch the other 3.

I didn't quite get why the started the race the way they did - making everyone 'race' to fly to Mexico. Then they clearly held them all in a waiting area until everyone arrived before 'officially' starting the race.

That's what I wonder as well! I was thinking, such an unfair advantage for those living near major hubs!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's what I wonder as well! I was thinking, such an unfair advantage for those living near major hubs!

Just another in the latest string of "gimmicks." Make it look like something that it's not.

It is this kind of misleading that makes me less enamored of these types of shows. I still like them, but the obvious manipulation takes me out of the intended viewing mode and sets me to wondering where else am I being misled as to what is actually going on.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just another in the latest string of "gimmicks." Make it look like something that it's not.

It is this kind of misleading that makes me less enamored of these types of shows. I still like them, but the obvious manipulation takes me out of the intended viewing mode and sets me to wondering where else am I being misled as to what is actually going on.

Always has been my favorite "reality" show, but the more gimmicks they pull, it's starting to drop down the list. What is really annoying is when a few teams have a really good lead, then it suddenly vanishes because all teams are held up waiting for a gate or facility to open the next day.

Bust your ass to stay ahead of everybody, but you could go from first place to last because the "Gates to the Castle" don't open until 8 a.m.

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
No posts here for awhile - is anyone still watching? Now that they've started to playing down the YouTube fame angle and just focus on the personalities of the teams and a typically strong array of challenges on their travels, the season has picked up. And after seeing everyone in those tight gold swimsuits in Dubai, I'm really sad that Blair was eliminated on the previous leg.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Still watching, but it's been on the DVR for three days now. Will probably view it today, but little by little, dropping of my favorites list.

Always been my favorite of the "reality" shows. Can't stand Survivor or Big Brother, but for some reason they keep me watching, but it may not be for much longer. They've become very repetitive, same type of people, same old challenges. TAR is still on the top, but even with its mega budget and fantastic locations, starting to lose its edge.

Big Brother has become particularly annoying. Always the same 25 or so age group, all obnoxious. Might watch a few episodes this summer, but if it's the usual, I'll pass, way to much time wasted on that show.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Still watching but by the time I get to read this thread several days have gone by and I'm not thinking about the show anymore.

We're all rooting for the gay guys (except my youngest who hates Tyler's laugh). I don't really dislike anyone, but I'm not crazy about Kurt and Brodie. Loved their blunder at using the fast pass just so they could assure a first place finish, then nearly got eliminated the next leg.

My only real comment on the race so far is about the girls who lost on the leg with the flag identification. It seemed to me she gave up fairly early as wasn't too far behind. Had she put more effort in that challenge instead of complaining no one was helping her, they may still have had a chance. There were plenty of teams still there when they arrived.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We're all rooting for the gay guys (except my youngest who hates Tyler's laugh).

I have yet to watch this week's episode (I clicked on this thread by mistake...and, thankfully, didn't get burned!).

Tyler's laugh could definitely be turned into a drinking game. Every time we hear it, my wife launches into a really obnoxious impression of it. I hope he goes home soon! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Watched the most recent episode tonight. My wife didn't let me down (she rarely does!) and every time Tyler laughed she did her own version.

I then read her my post above and we both had a very good laugh! :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow...WOW...WOW!!!

I was saying to my wife tonight that there is some kind of goofy quality to Sheri and Cole that I kind of liked. To have them make the final three was amazingly fun! :thumbsup:

Good for them for sticking out that difficult challenge and having fun--and good attitudes.

I think "good attitudes" is what is helping Tyler & Korey do so well in the race. Kind of like the hippies several seasons back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks