Amazing Race finale is tonight (12/13/01)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    To those of you who thought that there wasn't going to be an Amazing Race conclusion this week, it is on right after Survivor 3 at 9pm EST. So make sure you watch it or tape it. Would of sucked to have missed it but I thought yesterday when I checked the TV guide that the finale was going to be next week. fortunately, I saw the TV guide for today before I left for work this morning..

Jay

2. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I almost had a heart attack when I got home and noticed that the Tivo had not recorded aan Amazing Race last night. I quickly found out that it is tonight, much to my relief.

Prediction: Team Danza wins and all the already eliminated teams are at the finish as the greeters.

3. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

If I had to choose, I'd like to see Frank and Margarita win. But it really doesn't matter, as long as it's not Team Gaydo! I don't have anything against gay people, to each his own, but I can't stand those two guys. Everything about them gets on my nerves.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I don't watch the show, but it was impossible to miss that the finale was after tonight's Survivor, the ads seemed to be on every time I turned on CBS. [​IMG]
    I will watch it.
    /Mike

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Don't forget about Bunky!

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Larry, EVERYONE on these gameshows are whiny, coniving bastards, not just the gays...

/Mike

8. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Yay!

I'm totally happy with Rob and Brennan winning TAR! I was rooting for them and Frank & Margarita evenly, until Frank turned back into a jackass going into the final leg. It was pretty sweet watching them thinking they had it won "on their own turf", whilst the boys were waaaaay ahead of them already. Poor Team Greedo didn't even make it out of Alaska...

9. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Those who are Bruckheimer fans will appreciate his style.

Facing adversity, the underdog comes through and beats their opponent in their home town.

How about that long stretch they had to run to get to the finishing line? Love it! Almost expected a 120 fps right stuff shot.....

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Woohoo!! I kind of wished they showed Team Guido finishing the line and having the host say you're team number one......... NOTTTTTT!! I loved watching their expressions when on every round they think they're the first team and find out that some other team has beaten them.. Their expressions are priceless. It really looks like Frank and Margarita kind of did themselves in. They went north to the GWB while Rob and Brennan took the Holland which is probably closer but brings you into Chinatown in Manhatten. Frank and Margarita were telling the taxi guy where to go so it's kind of their own fault. And they weren't smart about the envelop, not counting the envelops so they could see if they were ahead or not. But I'm happy for them, if they are truly getting back together as a couple. They're certainly quite an odd bunch. Frank was really a jerk through most of the episodes but Margarita seems to have a steady head on her, I wonder if they truly did get back together now that time has past between the show and now...

And I still don't remember the host's name, but I guess that might be a good thing. [​IMG]
    Jay

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think what lost Frank and Margarita the race was when Frank was dicking around with the cab switch once they got out of the airport. That was the precious 2 minutes that enabled the Lawyer guys to make the 7 train, and prevented F&M from doing the same.

It would have been totally awsome if it came down to a foot race at the end, with "Chariots of Fire" music playing in the background. If they were to have happened, I'm certain the lawyer guys would have been able to beat F&M (due to M's slowness) in a sprint to the finish. That would have been the most dramatic finish the producers could have asked for.

All in all a fun show to watch. And I'll watch Amazing Race II next year.

12. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think you are right Patrick. They should have just hopped in to the second cab and hauled ass.
    Great ending, I'm just hoping that they left team Guido in Alaska.
    the BEST line fro team Guido, after they woke up on the fina day was "we win the race and the call us the come from behind kids" ....HEHE[​IMG]
    Brent

13. LarryDavenport

I am pretty happy with the outcome and I think Frank & Margarita were right. Rob & Brennan won the race and the cash, but Frank & Margarita proved they could work together and maybe they can succeed in their relationship.

I was pretty sure Team Guido was out since, once they got to the final pitstop, they had to wait around for 12 hours (then wait for the "clue to open").

It would have been funny if Team G had to complete the race, but absolutely no one was in NY to greet them.

I can't help but think the next AR will be way different. Can you see people running through a US airport, the way they did last night, since 9-11? SeaTac (ie. "Seattle Airport") has been shut down a couple times since 9-11 for "Security Breaches" which is usually someone running through the airport to catch a connecting flight.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm actually very surprised that there will be another Amazing Race due to the airline situation from 9/11/01.

Maybe at the end of last night's episode they should add some footage of Team Greedo running down to the finish line with the "Chariots of Fire" theme on the background (the next day, of course).

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    So when is the reunion special? [​IMG] I'd like to know if Frank and Margarite actually did come back together as a couple or not. There must have been some time between now and when it was filmed, I remember snow in central park when they started and the whole race lasted like 34 some odd days.
    I was kind of waiting for Frank to get arrested in China (the previous episode) when he was scaling that fence at the Great Wall.. I bet that would of slowed them real down real fast. Could of had another international incident!
    Jay

16. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I really got into it, I have to admit. Of the two teams, at first I wasn't rooting for one over the other, but then Frank and Margarita started claiming they were displaying better sportsmanship than the Rob and Brennan I started rooting for the lawyers.

I'm certainly looking forward to the next season. I don't think there is any reason to think there shouldn't be another season due to 9/11, just the teams need to be better behaved in the airports. I don't think you could get away with the "Can we not use our first names?" spiel now.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing one last shot of Karen bitching Lenny out, just for old time's sake. [​IMG]

18. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Great show. Overall I think I liked it just as much, if not a bit more than Survivor. Sure there isn't as much "strategy" and backstabbing, but they're at least on the move and doing something most of the time, and there was certainly enough drama. It allowed you to watch, connect with the players, try to guess who was going to be eliminated, and surprise you, which are the most essential things for a reality show.

I hope there is a second one, and I can't wait to see what they might throw into the mix to shake things up (just as long as it's not voting).

19. LarryDavenport

I am looking forward to the next season more so than the next Survivor (though I will watch both). I tried in vain to get a couple of my friends to apply to the next AR (I would do it but I have health issues). The tigers didn't scare them, the rats didn't scare them but once they saw the episode where they had to eat something "gross" my friends chickened out.

As far as the recent AR, I don't think you could have made up a better ending. The out of towners beat the locals by a hair because of the cockiness of Frank, and Team Guido came in third, still the width of a continent away.