Amazing price on Pronto TSU3000 @ Amazon - Under $200!

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Bill Balcziak, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

The price on this remote just keeps getting lower and lower...

Amazon has dropped the price on the Pronto TSU3000 to $249.94. Add an item for 6 cents (floppy disc, CD-R, extension cord, etc) and you get a $50 Amazon GC when you place an order of $250 or more from the Electronics Department. That makes your net price on this remote an amazing $199.94 with no tax and free shipping. Not bad for a state-of-the-art remote that lists for $400.

NOTE: The $50 Amazon GC is for use on a future order--sorry if I wasn't clear on that point. [​IMG]

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Damn, that's just too tempting. Now, do I upgrade or not ....

N

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

4. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

but the $50 certificate is good on a future purchase, not the Pronto purchase, right?

5. Nathan_R

I think I'll be able to find something [​IMG] Thanks for the paper tip by the way. the cheapest thing I could find was $.74.

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Zowie!

Guys, I own the Pronto TS-1000.

Tell me why I would want/need to upgrade from
    what I have now to this 3000 model.

Just don't know enough about this remote.

7. Nathan_R

Ron, I'm in the same boat-- ts1000 owner. Looks like the improved (read: "more") hard buttons alone are enough to upgrade. I hate the "soft" navigation buttons of the 1000.

8. Gary Neuwirth

I finally decided to join the pronto family too. Thanks for posting this offer.

9. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The 3000 has 2 main advantages that I can see over the 1000/2000. One, the screen is better and more area is customizable, allowing you to have a better looking layout and you can use the top area of the screen for what you want, instead of wasting it like the 1/2k do. Second, the built in D-Pad allows you to pick it up straight off the table withut looking and do some things that you would have to see the screen on the older models to do.

My 2000 has been acting flaky lately so this is looking tempting to me as well.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

4MB of memory vs. 1 MB of memory seems like a good reason to upgrade if you're bumping up against the limits.

11. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Additionally, 16 color grey scale vs 4 color on the 1000/2000 gives you a much better image.

Just a word of warning however, if you've never programmed one of these, be prepared to spend a LOT of time on it. Pronto Edit is not that user friendly, and even after you master it, getting the graphics you want and programming the navigation will take you 30 hours or more if you're a newbie.

Oh yeah, add remotecentral.com to your favorites list on your browser. Lots of files, and people willing to help with questions.

Jim L

12. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

The 3000 is much slower, buggier, and has less battery life than the 1000. At least that's what the folks on the remotecentral.com forum have been saying since the 3000's initial release. Phillips did a complete redesign instead of an upgrade from the 2000 to the 3000, and unfortunately the new design isn't a winner. I have the Marantz RC5000, equivalent to the Pronto TSU-1000, and have considered the upgrade, but all the comparisons people did of the 1000 vs. the 3000 discouraged that thought. Check out the TSU-3000 group on their forum if you have doubts.

There's a good reason why stores are getting rid of the 3000 for cheap, almost as cheap as the 1000 and 2000 (even used models) are going for. Stick with what you got, is what I say. Meanwhile, I need to find somewhere to get a backup RC5000 for cheap. I don't think I can live without my remote--I've become so dependent on it. It's like crack.

13. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Yohan,

Respectfully I must disagree with a few of your points. While it's true that initially the 3000 was VERY buggy, recent releases of software/firmware have steadily improved the situation. Historically, every version of the Pronto has gone this cycle. The TS-1000 was buggy initially as was the 2000 and the color versions when first released. It will sort itself out to being very stable in the next few months, just as it has before.

The redesign you speak of is a redesign of the operating system, but not the physical remote itself. The new firmware is based on the Neo file system not the file system of the 1000/2000/5000.

Note that most of the posts in remotecentral's forum now have a solution to the users problem rather than being due to a bug.

Jim L

14. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I upgraded from the 1000 to the new 3000 earlier in the year. I have been happy with my decision ever since. I still need to clean up my new layout though [​IMG] But for now, it's functional.

Is a battery charger/docking station avialble for the 3000 yet?

It does seem to eat batteries..but I cannot compare this to the 1000 as I had the docking station from day 1 with that remote.

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Amazon shipped this immediately--I had it the day after the order went in! Unfortunately, I don't think I'm a touchscreen person. The user interface seems extraordinarily clumsy and using ProntoEdit is a huge pain. Going from screen to screen is time-consuming and annoying to the extreme. It doesn't help that the user manual is even more unfriendly and unhelpful than the notoriously incomprehensible one for the Malata DVD player. So I think this thing is going back. [​IMG]

16. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I've been thinking about getting a MX-500 but with this deal I may grab the Pronto instead.

EDIT: Nevermind I actually read the specs on what it can do.:b

17. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Jim,

I'm curious to hear your comparison of the 1000/2000 vs. the 3000? Have you used the 1000/2000 extensively? What are your thoughts on how they perform compared to the 3000? And have the major issues of the 3000 been truly ironed out? From my scanning of messages on remotecentral.com's forum it seems to me that many of the same issues/concerns people had at the beginning are still prevalent, despite numerous firmware upgrades. If there are still lots of bugs and speed (or lack thereof) issues I'm gonna steer clear of the 3000, but I really want it to be an awesome product because I'd like to find a viable upgrade from my trusty Marantz RC5000.

As to the redesign issue, the 3000 is a completely new design based on the Neo OS as you stated. Contrary to your statement though, the physical design is also new AFAIK. Obviously the button layout is new--the 4-way rocker being a very welcome addition--but I think they also completely redid the guts of the remote including putting in a new processor. I still believe that the 3000 is a completely new design.

18. Nathan_R

19. Nathan_R

well blah, I'm sending mine back to Amazon today for a replacement. The pickup sensor doesn't work and the blasted Edit software refuses to work when I want it to. I got it to run a few times on one of the three machines here, but the other 75% of the time it says the remote is not connected. Also, the remote itself fails to load the "Brands" tool. It looks like a pretty good upgrade from the ts1000, so I'm giving it another shot.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

20. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer