What's new

Amazing -- Apple TV makes up over 50% of streaming devices (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
While Apple continues to say that Apple TV is just a hobby, consumers seems to be making it the most popular streaming device out there.

According to Frost & Sullivan, in 2012 Apple TV commanded a 56.1% of the dedicated streaming devices. Note this excludes devices like XBox 360 and PS3.

apple-tv-streaming.jpg

Interestingly, Frost and Sullivan analyst Dan Rayburn attributes the popularity of the Apple TV to the desire of consumers to stream content to their HDTV via AirPlay.

I own an Apple TV and I have used AirPlay with it, but I rarely use my Apple TV. I get all of my content from WMC and now have close to 14TB of recorded movies from premium channels. Of course, I never watch that content in my home theater because the picture quality is so bad. That content is only played on one of the various flat panels around the house.

Does anyone own an Apple TV? If so, what is your common scenario?

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I use it all the time, mostly to access my music/photos/movies which are on my macmini a floor above. This allows listening to lossless music on my main Stereo (with Remote App) and watching slide shows of my photos and home movies on the projector. Much more comfortable than fiddling with usb-sticks etc.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I would want numbers of just how many people really own a "dedicated streaming device". And also, why is TiVo counted at all? I have a TiVo, and its primary function is a DVR (though they can stream) and DVRs are different devices altogether. And then, who is really going to have another "dedicated streaming device" anyway? Most people now have a Blu-ray player or gaming device that they could use for streaming, and there will always be those enthusiasts (like me) who see current streaming as nonsense and are strictly physical media. And when you figure how "chic" Apple products are, I'm not surprised a lot of people have them, especially as it's only $99, which is dirt cheap for Apple product.

So yes, in a 2012 study of people who own "dedicated streaming devices", I'm not surprised that Apple TV comes out on top. However, if they were to include all stream-capable devices, I hardly think Apple would be on top, much less have a runaway lead.

mychaelp

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Very odd considering Roku has more channels, yes most of them are bad, but many you cannot get on Apple TV. Love Amazon Prim streaming along with Netflix on the same box.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have two Apple TV 3's, one for each TV, one of each revision (there was a silent upgrade to processor and wifi chip earlier this year).

I use them to stream movies, TV, and music that I have stored on my Mac or in the cloud. For example, I cloud stream 5 seasons of Castle in 1080p HD because it is the only way to get the shows in HD.

I also use the Apple TV's for HBO Go and Hulu Plus, although I am about to cancel Hulu due to lack of use.

I also have a single Roku 2 XS that was my HBO Go box until Apple TV got it, and now is used primarily for Amazon Prime Streaming.

I also stream hirez music and mkv video from my Mac to my Oppo BDP-93.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I've had an Apple TV for about 7 months and I just adore this machine. The icing on the cake was the recent introduction of HBO Go. Essentially, it's become my Netflix. I rent way more now from iTunes, Redbox, and my local library than I buy films but HBO Go was the kicker. Between the rotation of films on a monthly basis and the access to HBO's original series, it sort of feels like I'm getting something new every month.

Also, with the revelation that streaming via Home Sharing vs. streaming directly from Apple is better for watching the movies I've either purchased from iTunes or were digital copies from Blu-Ray purchases, I stream now more than ever. I love streaming via home sharing so much that, with the notion of films being released sometimes 2 to 4 weeks before they hit Blu-Ray, I do buy more and more films from iTunes...even if I feel like it might not be the smartest investment...especially since I have HBO Go and a lot of these films if not all of them will eventually find their way on HBO. It's a delicate balance with the amount of access we have to content now. Buying seems almost ridiculous now. Still, there are the occasional films I just have to have.

The Apple TV is made it harder and harder for me to turn on my PS3 and watch a film. That's how much I love using the damn thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One thing about AppleTV, despite it being 1080p, it's video quality still isn't on par with the quality of a well done BD.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Oh, I agree but I'm over trying to get the absolute best picture quality for the home for the majority of the films I've either liked or greatly liked over the years. The only ones I care about absolute best picture quality are my hardcore favorites, which are few.

For me, going to the theatre is where you get the best quality. For me, it'll never be duplicated and I'm not even going to try anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cory S. said:
Oh, I agree but I'm over trying to get the absolute best picture quality for the home for the majority of the films I've either liked or greatly liked over the years. The only ones I care about absolute best picture quality are my hardcore favorites, which are few.

For me, going to the theatre is where you get the best quality. For me, it'll never be duplicated and I'm not even going to try anymore.
Wow! That's quite a concession for a HT enthusiast.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Robert Crawford said:
Wow! That's quite a concession for a HT enthusiast.
Listen, it wasn't meant to be rude or disrespectful to the enthusiast here that continue to strive for the best. More power to you guys.

It's just that, over the last year, I've done some soul searching as to whether or not the investment into home theater was even worth it anymore or whether it was worth it in the first place. There are a lot of factors to consider and I'm still considering them. But, ultimately, I don't think it's worth it chasing the brass ring anymore when it comes to home theater. For me, the communal experience of watching films in the theatre on these massive screens with sometimes the best picture and sound quality with an audience can never be matched in the home, no matter how hard and how far we strive to get there. There's just something about that experience that's religious to me.

I don't know. I may think differently in 15 years when the kids are out of the house but I just need to watch these films when I'm at home. I don't need for the majority of them to be the absolute best in the audio/video department.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cory S. said:
Listen, it wasn't meant to be rude or disrespectful to the enthusiast here that continue to strive for the best. More power to you guys.

It's just that, over the last year, I've done some soul searching as to whether or not the investment into home theater was even worth it anymore or whether it was worth it in the first place. There are a lot of factors to consider and I'm still considering them. But, ultimately, I don't think it's worth it chasing the brass ring anymore when it comes to home theater. For me, the communal experience of watching films in the theatre on these massive screens with sometimes the best picture and sound quality with an audience can never be matched in the home, no matter how hard and how far we strive to get there. There's just something about that experience that's religious to me.

I don't know. I may think differently in 15 years when the kids are out of the house but I just need to watch these films when I'm at home. I don't need for the majority of them to be the absolute best in the audio/video department.
I didn't take your comment as being rude nor disrespectful. Furthermore, you don't owe me or anybody else an explanation as to how you view movies at home.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
schan1269 said:
Sad, really...

I video stream with an Apple product, but it isn't an ATV. I don't count?
No, I'm guessing you're in the 15% of "Others".

And that those of us who use game consoles to do all our Netflix, Hulu and Vudu (like us proud PS3'ers, and okay, maybe there are some folks with X-boxes out there) weren't even factored into the equation at all, as "gaming" was considered a different departrment's demographic.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ejanss said:
No, I'm guessing you're in the 15% of "Others".

And that those of us who use game consoles to do all our Netflix, Hulu and Vudu (like us proud PS3'ers, and okay, maybe there are some folks with X-boxes out there) weren't even factored into the equation at all, as "gaming" was considered a different departrment's demographic.
Maybe they don't consider the PS3/Xbox/Ipad to be "streaming" in the first place. The Ipad has a harddrive so it doesn't have to rely on a constant stream. With it, Netflix sends data to the device ahead of time like it does with a computer. Maybe that is their "criteria" for streaming...must always be streamed. I tried a Tivo to use Hulu once, it had no access to the harddrive during the stream.

And I've tried two Roku and a "cheap RCA" streamer(it was an open box at Target for $36) with my internet. All three sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks