What's new

Amazing...an actual petition to get "The Two Towers" renamed (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I love it!

I, too, was galled, shocked and disoriented upon learning of the cynically crass title of Mr. Jackson's new film. I would also like to start a petition to rename Steven Spielberg's "Minority Report" because of its blatant insult to people of color. Also, the upcoming film "About A Boy" is a clear endorsement of pedophilia. I am also deeple troubled at the subtitle of the new "Star Wars" installement, "Attack of the Clones." This scandalous title is a none-too-subtle implication that scientifically duplicated humans or other animals are violent and hostile in nature -- clearly an affront to copied citizens everywhere. We shall make no progress until Hollywood stems its insensitivity to those factions of society it chooses not to understand. As an avid filmgoer, I shall shed many tears until these senseless titles cease.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Someday I will collect $50,000 and film a movie in Mexico. I don't know what the movie will be, but it WILL have the most repugnent, offensive title ever given to a movie. The censor's will be so riled over it, that many "normal" movies will be able to slip under the radar of censorship.
Maybe it'll be an animated movie about five-year old hooker who sleep with racist truck-drivers. who knows, the sky's the limit:D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you could call it "Little Bo *Bleep* : For Kids!". I can hear the outrage now.
BTW, a petition about a petition. Classic! :laugh:

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Quote;
Someday I will collect $50,000 and film a movie in Mexico. I don't know what the movie will be, but it WILL have the most repugnent, offensive title ever given to a movie. The censor's will be so riled over it, that many "normal" movies will be able to slip under the radar of censorship.
Too Bad Frank Zappa is dead. He would probably have loved to do the score for it. :D

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
This "Klerck" guy who started the petition is a well-known troll. In the past he has pioneered crowd-pleasing techniques such as the 65,536-column wide Slashdot post, and introduced several new and innovative ways to trap the unwary into clicking on goatse.cx links. Someone should tell the PetitionOnline people they've been had. :angry:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have been laughing ever since I started reading.. some of my favorites:
they have no sensitivity, i wont even let my two twin kids stand next to each other out of respect for 9/11

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Carry On Clinton?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:D :D
Some of those quotes are so hilarious.
Apparently the humorists in the world, and the US in particular, are having a day there..
Cees

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the really funny ones are the people who sign and then put comments in supporting him. Thinking about what kind of person actually supports something as inane as this petition cracks me up.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks for the link.
This is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.
smiley_rotflmao.gif

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Of course, you have to remember that what got this whole notion started were reports last year that the studio was actually having second thoughts about the title in the wake of September 11th. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed.

Nor would it have been such utter blasphemy if they had changed it. Although he later reconciled himself to the title, Tolkein never liked The Two Towers as the designation for book 2, and tried to talk his publisher out of it, since he felt it was essentially meaningless. Indeed, he never wanted the book (which was written as a single, continuous narrative, in six "books" that were there for purely structural reasons) published in three parts at all. He wanted a single volume edition, and then suggested splitting it into two as a compromise (Books I-III, and Books IV-VI with the appendices.) Only when the publisher convinced him that a volume that size would be a production headache and a marketing disaster (given the price they'd have to charge) did he relent.

Given that the book has been out there going on fifty years with the current title, it makes sense to retain it. But a case could be made the dumping it wouldn't be a violation of Tolkein's original desires.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks