Amazed by all the choices

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Troy>M, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Troy>M

Troy>M Auditioning

Hello all, I am fairly new to all the home theater stuff and I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the choices. right now I have a Onkyo ht-r520 ( htib ) and I am happy with it but would like to upgrade slowly in the near future. One of my problems is where I live, there is only one electronics shop and they have Dennon stuff, but I am not impressed with there sales people. I bought my onkyo from circuit city and currently it is on its way back from salt lake city from some warranty work. I like the sound and prices of the onkyo but I am a little bummed that if I have a problem that I have to ship it away to get looked at. I mainly watch movies and dvd concerts for music stuff, I guess my question is without any repair shops or dealers, with the exception of Dennon (everything has to be shipped) does anybody recommend a good mid range($) receiver that has a good rep. to build on for the future.I have only really heard my onkyo and a sony. And also when do they release the new models I wouldn't like to buy one right before a better one comes out. Thanks in advance for your help and replies. This is a great forum I have searched it a bit and have had a few questions answered just by looking.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Troy, You can find the Onkyo 802 - refurbished for about $399. This price is about 1/2 of the original MSRP - and the receiver is available in both silver and black color choices.

With the 802, you'd forfeit some of the options like an automatic setup EQ. However, the 802 has pre-outs, so you can still connect a separate amp if you'd like.

3. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Are you sure you mean 802? the 802 has a auto set-up with a mic? You talking about the 801?

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Correction. I meant to say the 702 can be had for $399 as a refurbished receiver. Still a bargain, though.