What's new

Amadeus Warning - It's Loud!! (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Just a quick warning for those who can't wait to get the new Amadeus - Director's Cut DVD tomorrow. My copy showed up today, and fortunately I had already read DVDFile's review. Here's what they had to say, "And please beware of what seems to be an excessive level; on my system, this DVD is 6 dB louder (or twice as loud) as a typical DVD. The opening chord was quite a shock!".
It really is. Be sure not to play this one at reference level or whatever your normal volume setting is. Your home theater, your neighbors, and most importantly your ears, will thank you.
Neil

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! I got ahold of this disc early as well and talk about a shock when that opening chord hit! I jumped so damn hard, reaching for the remote to turn it down! The music fills my room nicely and I am happy that I waited for this version of the classic!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Well, since A Hard Day's Night doesn't come out in Canada until October, I guess my money goes to...

MOZART!!!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Who did the sound on this? Was it Mi Casa - same company that did LOTR and Blade?

Chuck L

Screenwriter
All that I have to say about it is as long as it isn't over-produced on the sound I don't care. I have waited so long for this edition of this wonderful film.

Picked it up last night at Costco (along with the other WB titles) and I have to say that I don't have a gripe number one. Wonderful picture, wonderful sound, wonderful extra's. Great job by WB's.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Believe me, the opening chord of Amadeus is supposed to jolt you out of your seat. It's one of the most vivid things I remember when I first screened the film in Dallas at the famed (but now defunct) Northpark movie theatre. The entire audience had a collective heart attack; it was fantastic. :)
Link Removed

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Lou asked if this was done by the same authoring company that did Blade 2. And I am curious about this too, because I remember reading somewhere online that Blade 2 advertises that is uses a 0 reference sound level. I wonder if this was the same thing done to Amadeus, and if this is going to be a more commonplace practice. I welcome it, and hope that all studios start to do this.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
with a 16 bit recording, each 6 db drop from 0 db looses an effective "bit" of resolution. I've had many DVDs that I hooked up to my MD recorder just to watch the level...and often the maxiumum peak ever obtained during the film still leaves 6-12 db of headroom...which is a SERIOUS sacrifice of digital resolution.
Ideally, a digital recording should hit 0 db at its loudest level...thus ensuring that the overall recording is obtaining the best resolution possible. It's not such an imperative when dealing with 20 or 24 bit recordings...but for a 16 bit recording or medium it *does* make a difference and I'm glad to hear that Amadeus doesn't waste too much headroom needlessly.
Too bad no DTS :frowning:
-dave

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Ideally, a digital recording should hit 0 db at its loudest level...thus ensuring that the overall recording is obtaining the best resolution possible. It's not such an imperative when dealing with 20 or 24 bit recordings...but for a 16 bit recording or medium it *does* make a difference and I'm glad to hear that Amadeus doesn't waste too much headroom needlessly.
I totally agree. I don't mean that the ENTIRE mix needs to be blasting away at -6db to 0db like so many recent CDs mastered "hot," but certainly even dynamic soundtracks should be normalized to ensure the peaks max out to 0db.
There should be two components to consistency of mastering levels. Currently, there is dialnorm, but I don't think this works very well (any other opinions on this?). I think it should be a balance of dialogue level on the one hand and maximum peak at 0db on the other. Not to say that a low-key conversational movie needs to have door slams at 0db, but in my opinion, there should be no reason for a dynamic soundtrack to have peaks below 0db.
The other thing is setting levels for dvds - it is sooo frustrating to wait for some dialogue or other cue to determine what the mastering level for a particular dvd is.
There should be an audio set-up on dvds to set levels using something other than ear-splitting 1 khz tones.
Cheers,
Felix "Flexx"
Visit The CineFlexx
http://members.aol.com/beautymarkstudio/Home.html

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Ahh Northpark.....how about a moment of silence.
That theater really was PERFECTION.
I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. I have so many fond moviegoing experiences from that theatre (not just Amadeus). No 48-screen multiplex is ever going to come close to competing with the quality of the theatrical presentations of the Northpark in Big D. Ah well...

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Hey I loved Northpark too. The last film I saw there was Titanic. Too many great theater experiences to list. No we have little or now 70mm projection in this city. Damn shame.

-- Matt

Clint B

Second Unit
Yeah, I remember Northpark, too. One of the coolest experiences I had there was seeing Raiders. Great picture, sound, and atmosphere.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Too bad no DTS
Understatement of the year, if you ask me. But even then, WOW, just love the sound of the opening chord. The wife though I had gone crazy as I rewound the portion several times to hear it over and over again. :)
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks