"Amadeus", SE release update?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Wilkins, Jun 10, 2002.

1. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Anybody know the release date for the "Amadeus" 2-disc DVD? I'm surprised that a firm street date hasn't been forthcoming (to my knowledge). I was very disappointed with how the theatrical re-release was handled here in Minneapolis. Hopefully that wasn't an indication of nationwide distribution, and hopefully that won't influence when, or even if, we get a street date for the DVD.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

We didn't get it in Philadelphia, the third largest market

DVD in September

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    It played in NY, but I had no idea! I happened to notice it one day while thumbing through the MovieFone website for something else, but there was no info at all about it. Unfortunately I didn't manage to see it.

This is one of my all-time faves, and a definite must-buy!

4. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. After waiting for about six weeks after the national re-release date, the film finally began showing at a "backwater" cinema. We have a thriving "art house" cinema district in the uptown area, but they didn't touch it. Meanwhile, "Amalie" (a fine film, no doubt), continued into its 4th or 5th MONTH. Shurely the demand for "Amadeus", would have at least equalled a 5th month running of "Amalie".

5. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

David, Amadeus wouldn't make it into the arthouse theaters, because it was just too popular and commercially successful. You know how that goes.

6. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

I know it showed in Seattle...but when or where I couldn't tell you, Spouse & I happened to be in a classical kind of mood one day during the daily commute & turned to the local classical station & I was surprised to hear the announcer talking about how to get free tickets to the advance showing. It being shown on a weeknight & our not knowing Seattle very well...we didn't go.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

it's supposed to play at the Uptown here in D.C.

I better check to make sure I don't miss it!

-dave

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

This title screams DTS especially for the fully digital recorded music (it was not originally recorded in analog as most soundtracks were at the time), but knowing Warner Brothers...

Dan

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed. If ever there was a film that was the perfect candidate for DTS...it is this one.

PLEASE Warner PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-dave

10. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

This has been my quintessential DTS fantasy release. Well before there ever was even a rumor of a re-release I said that if Warner were to release one more DTS disc, I would have picked Amadeus.

Warner does have a track record of listening to us, maybe someone should start a petition.....well, actually, its probably too late for that, so I guess we can all just cross our fingers.

Oh, and I also live near Chicago, and this movie didnt play anywhere near here either....disappointing. Oh well, I'll own that DVD the day (hopefully a couple days before) it comes out.

11. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

The new directors cut did play a couple of weeks ago at a local theater I walk by every day. However I refuse to go there as you sit in one angle and the screen is 45 degrees to another. Then last time I was there there was a live one foot rat walking under the screen while waiting for the movie to start. The movie was "Smillas Sense for Snow", so do the calculation when I was there last.

To me it is the best movie ever made, and I am so waiting for the new DVD.

Ron Birk

12. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've never seriously considered buying the existing disc, which is a flipper, but anxiously await the Special Edition. I, too, sincerely hope that the new version will have DTS sound (what a selling point this would be!)

I hope, too, that the new disc will also feature the isolated score track that's on the current DVD.

Wasn't the laserdisc box set released by a third-party company. (Image? Pioneer?) Has anyone heard whether the commentary track and the superb documentary from this set will be made available on the new SE?

13. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

14. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I don't think the SE will have the original version, so you may want to hang on to your old flipper just in case.

I haven't heard anything about a dts track either so I wouldn't count on that happenning. Warner doesn't seem to have much interest in dts it seems.

15. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

If Warner can't see that the addition of a dts track would be a major selling point, then they should be looking at getting a new marketing team!
    I remember that the cinema in my home town at the time installed a stereo sound system for this film - something that not even Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark prompted!
    If the new version doesn't have the original version of the film, or the isolated score, it's not a big deal. The film is always available relatively cheaply over here, and there'll probably be a considerable gap between the release of the SE in the US and its release in the UK - plenty of time to pick up a copy of the flipper!

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

perhaps we could move/morror/duplicate this thread in the studio feedback section? I'd love for Warner to hear us all asking for DTS!

-dave

17. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer