1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Amadeus SE... no DTS and "good" transfer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Sep 17, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

everybody get a chance to check out the review at dvdfile?
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...madeus_se.html
    I'm sure Ron will have his review up shortly.
    I'm a bit saddened by the lack of DTS...not that I was expecting it...just hoping.
    The presence of some minor "ringing" in the transfer is also less than what I had hoped for. Has anyone else seen this new DVD yet on a good/calibrated 16x9 capable system?
    Still, looking forward to the disc as I'm certain it's better than what we've got now!
    -dave

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Ron's review has been up for several days now. [​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, the transfer can't look perfect as you might expect. Amadeus was shot totally with natural light.

It's not the cause of ringing, but it does show why it looks different.

4. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Why does everyone want a DTS track for this DVD? Recorded classical music is meant to be listened to in stereo, not in surround sound. Conductors composed their music knowing that the audience would not be in the center of the orchestra. What should have been done with the Amadeus DVD, is that the sound track was mixed for just stereo and the sound effects/dialogue were mixed for 5.1 playback.

Dan Ramer at DVDfile.com says:

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

A PCM track would have been better [​IMG]

6. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Shane,

That would have made a lot of sense, but all people seem to care about is surround sound.

I really can't stand how all these video-opera DVDs now have DTS and Dolby tracks forcing the recordings to span two discs when the PCM track blows away both of the multi-audio tracks.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

First of all:
    I have several DTS discs and the fidelity far surpasses any PCM CD I've ever heard. DTS has a mid-range resolution, inner-detail, and refinement of highs that CD just can't match. It sounds much more like analog or live-mic-feed than the 16/44.1 on CD. DTS recordings can also image with a focus and depth that CD just can't match. The most "you are there" recordings I have ever heard have been either on vinyl or DTS. If we're talking about 20/48 or 24/96 PCM...well that's another story.
    Next:
    Lighting isn't a transfer issue and I wouldn't have described it as such...just like film grain IMO a good transfer faithfully replicates the film elements. Edge enhancement does not accomplish this goal of fideltiy.

8. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I sure wish my speakers had the "acoustics" of a concert orchestra.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

12. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

13. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Down goes Frasier! Down goes Frasier! [​IMG]
    (It's getting a little heated here, ain't it?)

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey Scott,
    I'm cool with people being critical of bad *recording or mixing*...regardless of whether 2 or more channels. What I can't stand is the typical 2-channal audiophile stance that somehow 2 channels is "right" and multi-channel or "surround" is "wrong". If a recording engineer puts you in the middle of an orchestra...that's a bad decision. Had he done a good job mixing and placing you in front of the orchestra with the natural acoustics filling the surround channels, you'd experience something much closer to the original event than any 2-channel system could deliver.
    I've heard plenty of 2 channel mixes done by engineers who seem to think there are only 3 options to horizontal soundstaging...hard left, center, and hard right (and with no sense of depth or acoustic space...just a bunch of close-miced sounds without any acoustic context). Just becuase the guy who makes such a recording doesn't understand audio doesn't mean that the concept of 2 channel stereo is somehow flawed or not as good as mono.
    Just like we know how a *good* 2 channel mix isn't gimicky at all...but instead does a realistic job of placing instruments in a 3-dimensional space in front of us that encompasses the distance between the speakers as well as behind and beyond them, so to should any serious audiophile be aware that a well done multi-channel recording is capable of that and much more.

15. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

16. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I'm 'thrilled' this rerelease is coming out on the 24th. Only there are 3 others coming out at the same time:

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    - Unforgiven
    - Singin' in the Rain

None so far have been designated by either a B&M nor an etailer for special pricing consideration. Is this because they are classsical titles that are being rereleased? Or is thre just more attention to be placed on Grease or even Trading Places on that date?

Joel